What's new

Brush (See Post #4012)

Suzuki said:
What I am more interested in hearing about is what folks think about the brush in terms of performance (and in this regard, I don't ever recall handle colour ever impacting how well a brush works!) and comfort/useability. As I said above, the team of dedicated folks who worked on making this brush happen spent a lot of time and energy to develop a product that we hope offers superior performance and value to our members - hopefully our members think we got it right.

You know, I made my very valid and in some ways subjective point and disappointment known for the benefit of others in a very polite and respectful way. Then I politely and respectfully backed off. Did you really need to throw a little jab at me after the fact with the above comment about the color?

To anyone who feels disappointed or misled....do you feel the same way when you get a burger that doesn't look quite as clean and crisp and mouthwatering as the picture on the menu? The seller will clearly photo the item in the best possible way. That you do not store your brush in a loghtbox is not the fault of the seller..

I've been looking at the front page announcement for several days, and so this morning I ordered one.

Then I found this thread -- and wow, what a lot of discussion about the color of the handle! LOL!

Well, I don't care WHAT color it is (it could be scarlet & gold and I'd buy 50 of them!!!), I bought one because of all the pleasure this forum has given me.

Well, maybe I wouldn't buy 50 of them -- lessee, 50*$20=$1000! OUCH!!!

Anyway, I ordered one and I'm looking forward to getting it! At $20 it's GOT to be a great deal.

You know, I made my very valid and in some ways subjective point and disappointment known for the benefit of others in a very polite and respectful way. Then I politely and respectfully backed off. Did you really need to throw a little jab at me after the fact with the above comment about the color?

This could wind on and on with people struggling to get the last word. I don't think that's a good way to do things. Let's just let it go, shall we?

Shocked to say that my brush has already arrived!
In person I still say it's a lot darker than expected, but not quite as bad as it looked in that one pic from John (CyberJCM), but dark. I'm honestly surprised to hear so many people say it doesn't matter what it looks like, and all that matters is how it performs, on a forum where most of us have dozens of items that all do the same thing (identical razors with different scales/finishes/etchings that have zero impact on their performance). Let's be honest, even the manufacturers/sellers/designers know that appearance is a huge part of the product, or they wouldn't be switching colors between batches :001_rolle
So, if color isn't the important part to you, that's great....but that doesn't mean that those who DO care about the color don't have valid concerns.

With that said, mine's soaking right now, so no comment from me on how well it builds lather yet, but a couple quick first impressions from cleaning it:
1) I LOVE the shape of the handle, I was worried that it might be a little small, but it's very comfortable to hold
2) For being natural tips, rather then cutting a taper into the top, they did a great job of shaping it
3) like others have said, it's already got hairs splitting, feels like it has great potential
4) for the softness of the tips, I'm surprised at the amount of backbone it has

I've only owned one other boar brush, an Omega that I've been pretty disappointed with (it's long, it's floppy, I've never been able to get the tips to split)....but this one feels like it's already going to be better without even being broken in yet. I'm definitely excited to try it out! :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Shocked to say that my brush has already arrived!

... mine's soaking right now, so no comment from me on how well it builds lather yet, but a couple quick first impressions from cleaning it:
1) I LOVE the shape of the handle, I was worried that it might be a little small, but it's very comfortable to hold
:thumbup:

Mine is still in the mail, what with shipping to Canada and all, but ...

... the handle is based on (I'd say "it's the same as ..." but I don't have mine in hand to do a side-by-side exact comparison) the original "essential" badger brush from a few years back. I have one of those, and I must say it's in my 'top three ever' in terms of brush handle designs.

(To answer the obvious next question ... probably tied for first with the Rudy Vey keyhole, with the Rooney Heritage beehive a close third.)

I received my two brushes today and can't wait to try one out. The hair looks to be different than the hair on my Omega 81052. I'll try to post pictures later comparing the hair from the two.

That is a nice looking brush, but why the TM? My eyes focus on those two letters every time I look at it...

The badger logo is nice, but as said earlier that giant TM sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm very tempted to take a Sharpie or some black nail polish to that TM logo though.....

I took a utility knife and scraped off the 'TM'. It's just white paint/ink.

Not sure how I feel about the giant B&B Badger logo either, it appears to me to be off center (pushed towards top of brush), and would have liked to have seen it centered vertically on the top portion of the brush and about 1/2 the size it is.

I agree with your assessment here. I would have liked the logo to be centered vertically on the top portion too.

I actually like the placement of the logo, it looks like it's intentionally centered on the black section. I think if it were centered on the top portion, without accounting for the color change, you would end up with the color barrier running through the mouth of the badger, which might look weirder

EDIT: I take that back. I just photoshopped it and putting the bottom of the image right on the line would make it just about centered, and it looks great. Oh well, I think it looks good the way it is too *shrugs*

Last edited:
Used the brush today and it worked really well. About the same loft as a 1305 but stiffer which I like. It held lather much better than I expected and I was able to pass TABAC 4 times resulting in a near perfect shave. I likey.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Still smelling a bit funky after the dish soap soak, so I decided to whip up some lather for it to soak in a bit........this might be the best bowl of lather I've ever gotten out of my MWF. VERY pleased with the performance, just disappointed that I don't actually need a shave and all this went down the sink LOL

proxy.php

My brush was delivered yesterday, I was amazed that any mail at all was finally delivered, the brush looks great and I cannot wait to give it its first shave!

As a side note, I also bought the badger and blade leather travel razor holder, that thing is great too! Nice and soft, and surprisingly even fits the cobra classic!

Thanks to all involved in putting these products together, I know it isn't easy!

One use in and I my initial impression is: nice brush. The tips, as previously posted, are quite so right out of the box. I used it with some Arko and had some lovely lather whipped up in no time. Really looking forward to getting this brush broken in.

Used mine for the first time today as well, on some Cade. Soft tips, good backbone, seems like it will be a nice brush. Mine shed about 4-5 hairs on its first use, but hopefully that is just the break-in blues.

First use of the new brush today. I have two other B&B brushes, the original BBE and the 2008 LE, so I had no qualms about ordering this one. It keeps up the tradition of excellent products and is easily my new favorite boar brush.

I got my brush yesterday. Its a very nice brush. It is definitely darker than the picture shows but I like it, nice deep translucent navy color. The handle is a very hard heavy plastic resin, the brush weighs 61g.
The handle is very easy to grip with it's 2 ridges and fits in my hand nicely. The brush is very soft but still very stiff and the knot is packed pretty densely.
I think the only thing i'm not super happy about are the logo: its a big too big and placed rather high on the brush handle, and the "TM" is odd...

$IMG_20121103_210732.jpg

as you can see this brush has a ton of backbone! I was able to balance a full bowl of AOS soap on it :biggrin1:

$IMG_20121103_210938.jpg

It looks black in the pictures but in normal room light it has a cool blue glow to it, I had to put a lot of light behind it to replicate in a picture how it looks in person. I'd say this pic is fairly accurate...

$IMG_20121103_211054.jpg

I tried to get a photo of the tips. They are all very fine. either natural tips or some cool process that wears them down to a soft tip. It's a very nice boar knot, not scritchy at all. I'd say it doesn't require any breaking in period.

$IMG_20121103_214008.jpg

first test lather. tore into some tabac easily. this is maybe 10 seconds of loading...

$IMG_20121103_214450.jpg

Here I placed it next to some other brushes for comparison. It has more loft than my semogue but the bristles are stiffer (with softer tips). As you can see the semogue has more spread than the omega knot. I think that's my only detractor with the omega knot. I wish it'd spread out a bit more but perhaps over time the bristles will soften and bend more easily. There's a simpson berkely in there too just because.

Overall I'm liking this brush a lot so far. I think I'll use it for the next couple weeks straight to really get a feel for it.

Finally got mine on the way tonight. I expect, even after reading the whole discussion, to be blown away. I'm excited to finally own a B&B limited something, and I really appreciate everyone's hard work at delivering an exceptional product at such an affordable price.

Now if anyone needs me I'll be standing out by the mailbox for the next day or two.

Top Bottom