What's new

Brush (See Post #4012)

I wasn't part of the project team that developed the brush, so I can't swear to this. However, I can't imagine that the brush in the photo is any different than the ones that WCS is sending out. It doesn't make sense, does it? I would think that there are other things--the settings of the camera used to take the picture, the resolution of the screen from which you're viewing the picture--that can account for the difference in what you see on line and what you see when you open up your package at home. Even if there was one brush that had a different blue color, wouldn't we be more likely to put that aside and take a picture of the brush that we were about to send out to a member? Like I said, I can't say for certain that this is the case, but I have a hunch that it is. Hopefully someone who can confirm this will be along in a while. In the meantime, I hope that people aren't feeling disappointed about this. When I opened mine up yesterday, I thought it was beautiful. Even my wife, who views my shaving hobby with deep skepticism, said it looked cool. Works great too.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
OK, some photos (crappy iphone photos) but you all can decide...

$009.jpg
$007.jpg

The WCS pic looks like it was taken in a lightbox, so I'm not surprised the blue translucence shows up well, whereas in the hand, under more normal lighting conditions, it isn't as prevalent.

As I said above, that photo is very misleading, and I was disappointed by that. Here is a quick pic I took to show you how it actually looks. To my eyes, which arent the best, its a black top with a very dark navy blue that I have to strain to distinguish the difference.

attachment.php

:blink: Wow. Not what I was expecting at all.
I can understand that it's hard photographing a product that is translucent, as you want to show how it looks with the colors popping out as much as possible, but you should limit that to how it will look in every day settings, not just keep going for as bright as you can get it to look in a studio.
Like this; I own one Omega with a translucent red handle like this one
proxy.php

And in person, sitting on a shelf with normal light in the room and other stuff around and behind it, it looks just as bright as the pics

From Cyber's pic it looks like there's no way I'd ever have enough light in my bathroom for that to look anything like the stock photo, short of building a light box display case for it and blasting a 100 watt light up through the bottom of it

I'm trying very hard not to get too disappointed before I see mine when it arrives, and I know the brightness of the blue isn't going to effect the performance of the brush or anything, but still, I agree that it's hard to even say it looks like the same product between those two shots. I loved the look of the bright blue in the stock photo, but probably would've waited for the next color if I saw this pic first :glare:

I received mine yesterday, and confess to have not used it yet. That said, regarding the color, it is a solid resin, translucent blue. The top does appear darker, in part due to the knot, which in Omegas are held in black plastic cups. I would not be surprised if that embedded black cup were impacting the effect of light passing through the resin. I don't see a dark navy color at the base. For a brush handle like this, I think that the lighting has a big impact on how it looks. The tips of the brush look very different from any boar that I've purchased, and many of the tips appear to be split already. As one poster has said, the tips of the brush are softer out of the box than any boar (4 Omega and 4 Semogue) I've tried.

I just gave my new B&B 2012 Omega Black-Over-Blue (sorry Bob) it's first run - this is indeed great out of the box (after some de-funking), very soft already and will be softer, for sure. Like every new brush, THIS ONE'S MY FAVORITE! REALLY! I MEAN IT THIS TIME!

Anyway - it is a very nice brush, the color is true to the WCS pic, in my opinion, and to my old eyes - but the lighting really matters. Blue (under black - sorry, Bub) is my favorite color.

Again, thanks B&B - I'm happy with this one!

I received mine yesterday, and confess to have not used it yet. That said, regarding the color, it is a solid resin, translucent blue. The top does appear darker, in part due to the knot, which in Omegas are held in black plastic cups. I would not be surprised if that embedded black cup were impacting the effect of light passing through the resin. I don't see a dark navy color at the base. For a brush handle like this, I think that the lighting has a big impact on how it looks. The tips of the brush look very different from any boar that I've purchased, and many of the tips appear to be split already. As one poster has said, the tips of the brush are softer out of the box than any boar (4 Omega and 4 Semogue) I've tried.

Excellent description! I didn't know about the Omega black plastic knot cup. That explains the dark blue to black appearance and two-tone look. Nice also to hear that the handle is a good solid resin. I am anticipating the feel of it already. Whatever the lighting/color, etc..... I love it and can't wait to get mine!

I'm sorry guys, there always has to be that one guy, and I guess its me this time. I'm not trying to cause a stink or hinder sales, or accuse anyone of fudging it or being sneaky. My general point is that this brush does not appear the same in person as far as color as it does in the promo photo. The photo is misleading, not intentionally I'm certain, but it gives the impression of a much more brilliant blue than what can be seen under normal conditions.

What Jack and Daryl said about the photography method being the reason it appears that way is spot on I think. I did my best around my house to get it to look that blue, and what I finally ended up with was a super bright flourescent backlight and a flashlight up from underneath. That was the closest to the pictured photo I could get. As Daryl said, you'll never replicate that in your bathroom, under any normal lighting condition and with your naked eye.

I felt it important that this was shared so that others were not mislead by the photo as I was. Being completely honest, yes. I am disappointed. But only by the color. I am a person very attracted to blues, and greens, especially paired with black. (I like the contrast with the black knot cap, and that was part of its appeal) Seeing this brush here online made me deeply want it for mostly that reason and to sport some B&B love. Only half of that desire was fulfilled I'm afraid.

I won't rain on you guys parade anymore. Enjoy your brushes! I'm sure I will as far as lathering goes.

Last edited:
I hear you, John. It is disappointing when something shows up and it isn't what we expect it to be, which I've run into more than once since I started buying things online. I'm not too perturbed about the colour because, frankly, I was after the brush and the blue was just sort of "meh" for me, but I completely understand your position.

I'm sorry guys, there always has to be that one guy, and I guess its me this time. I'm not trying to cause a stink or hinder sales, or accuse anyone of fudging it or being sneaky. My general point is that this brush does not appear the same in person as far as color as it does in the promo photo. The photo is misleading, not intentionally I'm certain, but it gives the impression of a much more brilliant blue than what can be seen under normal conditions.

What Jack and Daryl said about the photography method being the reason it appears that way is spot on I think. I did my best around my house to get it to look that blue, and what I finally ended up with was a super bright flourescent backlight and a flashlight up from underneath. That was the closest to the pictured photo I could get. As Daryl said, you'll never replicate that in your bathroom, under any normal lighting condition and with your naked eye.

I felt it important that this was shared so that others were not mislead by the photo as I was. Being completely honest, yes. I am disappointed. But only by the color. I am a person very attracted to blues, and greens, especially paired with black. (I like the contrast with the black knot cap, and that was part of its appeal) Seeing this brush here online made me deeply want it for mostly that reason and to sport some B&B love. Only half of that desire was fulfilled I'm afraid.

I won't rain on you guys parade anymore. Enjoy your brushes! I'm sure I will as far as lathering goes.

John-You make fair points and your gentlemanly commentary is (as always) appreciated. Reading through the thread, we run the gamut of "looks exactly like the picture" to "not what I expected", so any person reading this thread will have a fair set of perspectives on the handle's appearance. I'm very interested to hear about everyone's take on the performance of the brush. As I said, I have never received a brush whose tips were starting to split straight out of the box before.

I hope the backbone is there. I loved my Semogue Owners Club at first, but lately I'm finding it a bit floppy.

Got mine today and will begin the break-in process tomorrow with palm lathering. My visual experience with it is as John has described. I thought it would be too small for my hand, and uncomfortable as a result, but I was wrong. It's a very nice handle and irrespective of the color matching, it's a fine addition to my collection. Whether it goes in the rotation, well, that has yet to be determined.

Nice work guys. Now all we need is a silver/grey handle so this one and the silver/grey would be Cowboys colors.

I think i'd be disappointed like John was as well. The photo should on WCS should be how it appears in natural light, not with heavy back-lighting and/or enhancements etc.

Not sure how I feel about the giant B&B Badger logo either, it appears to me to be off center (pushed towards top of brush), and would have liked to have seen it centered vertically on the top portion of the brush and about 1/2 the size it is.

hopefully it performs well for you guys.

Got mine today. Here are my impressions of it:
-very nice translucent blue
-comfortable to hold
-soft tips with good backbone
-doesn't smell that bad
-great value for $20
-and how could you not love that cute lil' badger :thumbup:

A few comments on the genesis of this brush - a few moderators and others who are fans of boar brushes decided that some of the prices of "high end" boar brushes (prices getting up to the $25 - $30 range) were taking quality boar brushes away from the essence of what a boar brush was supposed to do - provide a great shave at a great price. Without taking anything away from any other boar brushes on the market, we thought we could come up with a brush that provided the performance of a premium boar brush for a lot less.

In terms of the handle, we thought it made great sense to use the same shape that had been designed for the original essential brush we put out a couple of years ago (a bit different in terms of look and great functionality, as it offers several grip options) and make it B&B blue to make the brush distinctive.

We then contacted a couple of manufacturers and when Omega said they'd be interested in working with us and that they could do a custom knot and the handle we wanted in house (critical to keeping the cost down) we were thrilled. A few weeks later we had some prototypes to play with and then several rounds of testing were done.

In terms of the knot dimensions, we knew we wanted a loft that would be a good all-rounder, but that it needed to take into account the specific characteristics of boar bristles (in other words, you can't simply translate the dimensions of your favourite badger into boar, as the hair types are quite different). Omega used high quality hair with natural (not trimmed tips). Once we established the right dimensions, we played around with the hair density until we got the feel we were looking for (and more important, that we thought our members would like and that would make the essential boar something a little different/special from other brushes on the market).

The result - a pretty cool, unique looking boar brush that captures the essence of what a great boar brush is supposed to do - provide a great shave at a great price.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on the colour - and I agree that a lot has to do with lighting (the handle does look different in different light conditions - as does any translucent object). However, my view is that its a pretty cool colour regardless of the lighting and is certainly unique. I do appreciate that colour/aesthetics are very much an "eye of the beholder" or YMMV sort of thing.

What I am more interested in hearing about is what folks think about the brush in terms of performance (and in this regard, I don't ever recall handle colour ever impacting how well a brush works!) and comfort/useability. As I said above, the team of dedicated folks who worked on making this brush happen spent a lot of time and energy to develop a product that we hope offers superior performance and value to our members - hopefully our members think we got it right.

Last edited:
That's great info, thanks for sharing. I test lathered it many times last night and this morning and I like it. Feels good and looks cool.

'What I am more interested in hearing about is what folks think about the brush in terms of performance (and in this regard, I don't ever recall handle colour ever impacting how well a brush works!) and comfort/useability. As I said above, the team of dedicated folks who worked on making this brush happen spent a lot of time and energy to develop a product that we hope offers superior performance and value to our members - hopefully our members think we got it right."

I iterate.........

"First of all..this is not like any of my other boar brushes (Omegas and Semogue). It if FAR softer than any boar or pure badger I've ever used. That is a good thing.
It did a decent job of whipping up a load of RazoRock Classic but it did take some work. The Omega 11126 and Semogue 1305 fare better here but then it will probably get better with time.
Handle is a substantial piece; could be larger (for me) but it is a proper shave brush grip. Up there with the solid British brushes, nice looking too."

I too agree handle color does not contribute to lather or quality of feel.

Top Bottom