What's new

Brush Scuttle

Newbie (obviously)-

So what is a brush scuttle, how do I use it, and why do I need one? Last question is for justification only...:wink2:

Think of it like a small ceramic jar, that has a double wall. You fill the inner chamber with hot water, and it warms up the ceramic. The inside is where you rest your brush in between passes, to keep the brush toasty warm.

Why would you need one....? Perhaps you should ask yourself why you wouldn't need one. :001_smile

Think of it like a small ceramic jar, that has a double wall. You fill the inner chamber with hot water, and it warms up the ceramic. The inside is where you rest your brush in between passes, to keep the brush toasty warm.

Why would you need one....? Perhaps you should ask yourself why you wouldn't need one. :001_smile

+1

For shaving purposes, a scuttle is a warmer. The warmth comes from a water jacket around the inner bowl. Larger ones can have larger inner bowls that can be used as lathering bowls. Smaller ones, brush scuttles, really don't have the space in the bowl to build a lather but provide a toasty place to store your brush while you are making your shaving pass.

You would use one because warm lather feels good.

Newbie (obviously)-

So what is a brush scuttle, how do I use it, and why do I need one? Last question is for justification only...:wink2:
Scuttles kill your lather! even with just warm water in them. I have a DB scuttle but rarely use it because of this reason. When i use just a bowl to make lather, the lather stays the same through out the whole shave (whipped creamy/nice). When I use my scuttle, the first pass i get a good lather, but by the 2nd and 3rd pass my lather is already dried up and shrinks, so then you'd have to keep adding more water and more cream...it's just not worth it for me. And I never ever put boiling water in it, just hot water from tap, and no matter what your lather quality for 2nd and 3rd pass will change (to worse). It's common sense. I'd debate whoever thinks otherwise!:001_smile

Scuttles kill your lather! !:001_smile

they you are using the wrong soap and/or too hot of water.

hot tap water, a quick 10sec swirl of brush between each pass and it's good to go, and WARM.

i've only had 1 soap break down in my scuttle, but an easy fix was to use warm water with that one.

Or..you can just put your bowl (should be heavy-ish) with lather, brush, and all in the sink partially filled with hot water. Does the same thing. A bit pedestrian but it works.

Scuttles kill your lather!

Doc,

Sorry but not in my experience. I use a small Robert Becker (Feats of Clay) as a brush scuttle. Build my lather in a Danish gravy bowl (previously a Sierra cup) and transfer it to the scuttle where both the brush and lather remain nice and warm. Works like a charm :)

they you are using the wrong soap and/or too hot of water.

hot tap water, a quick 10sec swirl of brush between each pass and it's good to go, and WARM.

i've only had 1 soap break down in my scuttle, but an easy fix was to use warm water with that one.
Any type of heat no matter what breaks down the lather over a period of time. for me it's not worth it to keep swirling the brush or adding more product/water during or after each pass trying to maintain the lather. I use a bowl where i'm guaranteed to have the same consistency of the lather when I made it in the beginning of my shave. End of story.

Doc,

Sorry but not in my experience. I use a small Robert Becker (Feats of Clay) as a brush scuttle. Build my lather in a Danish gravy bowl (previously a Sierra cup) and transfer it to the scuttle where both the brush and lather remain nice and warm. Works like a charm :)
If it works for you go for it. Unfortunately for me it's not worth it as I don't have the patience to keep messing with my dried up lather between each pass. :001_smile

Top Bottom