What's new

Brush Restoration Puzzle...

I ended up a "new" brush for Christmas, and after picking at the odd glue-like material, I think this is epoxy, but I am not sure. I have seen similar brushes with similar staining and hoped that there might be some insight here on how I might proceed.

What is it? How should I remove it?

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

The options that I see involve a Dremel or other source of abrasive, sandpaper-like stripping approaches. I do wonder if there is a heat technique that would be effective, but worry that the necessary heat would have other effects that are not desired.

It could be some type of furniture stain/lacquer? I would think using a bit of wet/dry sandpaper would work well, this would give you more control.

This should turn out nicely once you have it removed.

It could be some type of furniture stain/lacquer? I would think using a bit of wet/dry sandpaper would work well, this would give you more control.

This is how I would approach it. Alternatively, perhaps a carefully applied paint thinner might do the trick. Please let us know how this turns out.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
First off what is it made of ? I had a vintage black top Ever-Ready that had some stuff on it and tried
acetone and it melted the black top ,what a mess .

I was able to chip off pieces that had a little bit of thickness, however, the point of contact with the handle and ferrule stayed attached.
I’ll most likely need to use something with grit to remove the staining material.

Top Bottom