What's new

Brush Question

What is the best way to get tangles out of the center of my badger brush? Also, what causes them in the first place? Maybe I'm pressing too hard on my face when lathering but I've seen many people lather with the brush totally flared out and flat on the face.

It could be the brush itself.

It is more likely that you are pressing down too hard when whipping up the lather. You should be lathering with absolutely no downward pressure, only gravity.

I had that issue with a cheaper pure badger i had. Not sure what causes it but suspect might be pre-shave oil. I just spent some time combing it out and it came back to normal.

I had that issue with a cheaper pure badger i had. Not sure what causes it but suspect might be pre-shave oil. I just spent some time combing it out and it came back to normal.

A word of caution when combing a brush. NEVER do it when the brush is wet. If the brush is tangle, comb very carefully and gently.

Some manufacturers recommend against circular motions on the face with the brush as it can stress fibers and cause knots. I have no idea how true that is.

I had the same problem with a cheaper pure badger brush. I was pressing too hard while face lathering and I think that's what twisted things up. I was able to comb the tangles out pretty easily with no discernable damage to the knot itself.

It is more likely that you are pressing down too hard when whipping up the lather. You should be lathering with absolutely no downward pressure, only gravity.

Not to hijack the thread, but you're not supposed to push down when lathering? That might explain a whole plethora of my problems. I push down with a pretty firm pressure when I lather, I haven't noticed any knots or tangles yet, but I haven't really looked. I'll have to inspect my brush tonight when I get home.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I had this problem. I'm guessing we have cheap brushes. I tried coming mine out and it did work. It shed like crazy though. I used my daughter's detangling comb!

I did notice some tangles in my brush when I checked, though nothing major, but I'm to afraid of shedding to try combing my brush. I've got an AOS pure badger and it sheds like my dog (ok, not quite that bad). I lose at least 1-3 hairs per shave. Once I finish making my other brush, I'm going to pull the knot out of my AOS and put a new knot in it and modify my technique so I hopefully don't cause any tangles in my new brush.

Top Bottom