What's new

Brush question....

Hi folks, yep you got a total newbie here.

Well, I just bought some basic starter stuff, and part of that was a $5 boar bristle brush (yeah bad me, posting about boar in a forum with badger in it's name :tongue: )

....is it normal for the bristles to be matted after a shave? I have cleaned the brush for as long as 10mins after a shave, and it still mats. I do not have a brush stand yet, would that cause this?

The rest of the straight razor shave experience has been fantastic...finally a shave without any razor burn at all, but I am a bit concenred about the rather haggard look my brush has after just a week of use. Is this just a case of owning a cheap brush?

Hi. firstly, welcome to B&B, do you have a real name? This is a friendly place.

I can't help you with your brush, I never used a bristle.

Yep, it's Steve. I'm just so used to using this name on other forums (been using it since 1996) that I use it whenever I start up in a new one.

I just realized if I run it across my arm hairs repeatedly it does help un-mat them a bit.

I found a manufacturer's link to the brush I'm using. http://www.vanderhagenenterprises.net/detail.php?desc=34014

I picked it up at the drugstore, along with some shaving soap. I figured no point in dropping large cash on the gear if I am just getting my feet wet.

Hi Steve.

Yeah that's a good idea. Just wait til you start spending on Badger brushes, It would seem that you can never have enough!

Glad you found a way to um-mat your brush. Another thought is you might not be rinsing it properly. I put my brushes hairs pointing up under cold running water and squeeze thee hair til the water runs clear.

Well i ran across the street again to pick up a new one to see what's up...your washing technique didn't change much.

I have not shaved with it yet, but after seeing a bristle fall out from the get-go, I started running it across the back of my hand....it was shedding! After I got the last of the sheddings to fall out, my bathroom floor now looks like a boar shaves there as well!

I guess this speaks volumes for why some brushes cost less than others.

So, what's a good solid brush to start up with? I did like the nice stiff feeling of the boar bristles though.

I'm hoping to be the first to post this answer!!!!!

Ta Da: C&E (Crabtree & Evelyn) best badger brush for $35.

mrob said:
I'm hoping to be the first to post this answer!!!!!

Ta Da: C&E (Crabtree & Evelyn) best badger brush for $35.

Hahaha!

It certainly is a fine brush for the money! :biggrin:

Regarding your brush shedding, nearly all brushes shed bristles/hair at first. It's if they keep doing it there's a problem.

I have a brush like that. It was my first brush as well. I did have a problem with it matting. Even when I shook it out as best as I could it still looks like it had a spike haircut. I guess it might be the nature of the beast. If you wnat to try another boar brush without breaking the bank go to Target ans pick up the Proraso Brush. It will not be with the shaving items though. It is in the Spa sectio near the cosmetics. Don't ask anyone for Proraso, they won't know what you are talking about. While you are at it pick up some of the cream or soap.

Just got the proraso soap and brush. The brush turns out to be an Omega, at least that's the stamp on the bottom of the handle. It's also siginficantly larger than my old brush.

That leads to another question...is Proraso and Omega the same company, or does Omega just make the brushes for Proraso? Just curious.

I believe Omega just makes the Proraso brushes, but I'm not sure. Unlike the other, that one should do fairly well for you - supposed to be an excellent brush.

catatonic said:
I just realized if I run it across my arm hairs repeatedly it does help un-mat them a bit.

Steve, glad to hear you've found a way to unmat those arm hairs.... :w00t:

catatonic said:
Just got the proraso soap and brush. The brush turns out to be an Omega, at least that's the stamp on the bottom of the handle. It's also siginficantly larger than my old brush.

That leads to another question...is Proraso and Omega the same company, or does Omega just make the brushes for Proraso? Just curious.

You will be amazed by how much better the omega brush works than your Surrey. You will also be amazed at how bad it smells the first several times you use it. I would definitely recommend shampooing the brush a couple times before you use it, that will help knock the smell down a bit.

:thumbup1: It's definately an upgrade. Thanks for the reccomendation. The soap has a rather pleasant smell, and it seems to help counter the boar scent from the brush

Top Bottom