What's new

Brush PIF

I'll let the OP express his own opinion(s)...but based on emwolf's contribution alone plus mine to come, there are still brushes to be distributed among the B&B community, along with some other goods.
My intention was for any forum members to participate but when the four brushes were gone, it was done. Thanks to the gentlemen who have already participated in this thread it has morphed into something much better than I had anticipated. I would love for as many members of this community as possible to participate. I believe that there are more items in the box now than there was when I started. Keep it going guys.

This PIF could go on indefinitely. At this point it should be able to extend beyond the original four recipients easily

Just following up with my take on the SOC Boar brush. First, it's a larger knot than any boar brush I've ever used. A bit intimidating. Secondly, I soaked it first and let it dry before using it. The first lather was pathetic. I was lathering Pre De Provence. I don't know if I was expecting it to load quicker, or if I used too much water. I was very disappointed. But I figured, I'll wait 48 hours for it to dry out completely and try again. Attempt #2 was like I was using a can of foam, the lather simply exploded of the Tabac puck. I think I had enough for a 6 pass shave. I'm not sure if the first time was a simple user error or the brush adjusting to use. Needless to say, the brush is a winner. Any word from other users?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just following up with my take on the SOC Boar brush. First, it's a larger knot than any boar brush I've ever used. A bit intimidating. Secondly, I soaked it first and let it dry before using it. The first lather was pathetic. I was lathering Pre De Provence. I don't know if I was expecting it to load quicker, or if I used too much water. I was very disappointed. But I figured, I'll wait 48 hours for it to dry out completely and try again. Attempt #2 was like I was using a can of foam, the lather simply exploded of the Tabac puck. I think I had enough for a 6 pass shave. I'm not sure if the first time was a simple user error or the brush adjusting to use. Needless to say, the brush is a winner. Any word from other users?

Assuming the SOC boar to be new: The brush needs a good bit of break in. When it is broken in it will have many, many split ends visible to a close observer.

Semogue SOC.jpg SE1MangoSOCBoar.JPG StirlingFanFront4brushes.JPG

The picture on the left is a new SOC. On the right is a fairly broken in SOC. Enlarge the picture to see the split ends. In the third picture, on the right, four brushes, the one on the right is not an SOC, but it is a boar, and it has some split ends to see.

To break in the SOC: Soak it in water. Three days in the refrigerator. Every day take it out and rub the ends of the bristles on a dry towel for three to ten minutes. After three days continue to soak the brush for a few minutes daily and then rub the bristles on a dry towel for a few minutes. Doing this every day will facilitate break in.

The SOC boar is a slow to break in brush. However, it can be used during the break in process. It will be an amazingly nice, and soft, brush when it is about half broken in, and it will improve from there. It will continue to improve for months and months. The key is the wet dry cycle.

There are other break in methods. This is mine. I've done boar brushes this way every day for weeks sometimes to get them soft enough for me to enjoy them. I've also used boars straight out of the box, new, without any break in process. The SOC is one of the worst for needing breaking in, and one of the best once broken in.

Semogue brushes.jpg

This may be on interest to you, too.

Also, see the next post for another split ends photo.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice! Now I'm coveting an SOC. But that's OK. It'll be fun to see what I can choose from when the box gets to me...and I'm making room for my addition to the box by getting something else new anyway.

PS: Are the SOC knots available on their own?

Last edited:
Assuming the SOC boar to be new: The brush needs a good bit of break in. When it is broken in it will have many, many split ends visible to a close observer.

View attachment 853314 View attachment 853316 View attachment 853315

The picture on the left is a new SOC. On the right is a fairly broken in SOC. Enlarge the picture to see the split ends. In the third picture, on the right, four brushes, the one on the right is not an SOC, but it is a boar, and it has some split ends to see.

To break in the SOC: Soak it in water. Three days in the refrigerator. Every day take it out and rub the ends of the bristles on a dry towel for three to ten minutes. After three days continue to soak the brush for a few minutes daily and then rub the bristles on a dry towel for a few minutes. Doing this every day will facilitate break in.

The SOC boar is a slow to break in brush. However, it can be used during the break in process. It will be an amazingly nice, and soft, brush when it is about half broken in, and it will improve from there. It will continue to improve for months and months. The key is the wet dry cycle.

There are other break in methods. This is mine. I've done boar brushes this way every day for weeks sometimes to get them soft enough for me to enjoy them. I've also used boars straight out of the box, new, without any break in process. The SOC is one of the worst for needing breaking in, and one of the best once broken in.

View attachment 853321

This may be on interest to you, too.

Also, see the next post for another split ends photo.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim - I like that table, but I don't know what those grades mean. Super, Best, Extra, Premium and Special all sound great to me. Is this table a hierarchy with 2000 at the bottom and SOC at the top?

I have become enamored with synthetic brushes in the last couple months and I have some natural brushes that are just sitting in my closet unused. I would like to give them a good home to someone looking for their first nice brush.
Here are the details:
I will send you all 4 brushes. Please select one and only one to keep. The brushes that are left after you select one are to be PIF'd to another forum member by you. The next receipient gets to keep one and pass the remaining on, ETC. That way the most you should be out is postage to the next member. The first respondent gets to kick this off. If you would like to include something else with the brushes, i'm sure that would be appreciated also. Because I have a hard time getting to the post office, sorry but this is CONUS only,

@johnm1952 -- Is there a particular synthetic brush you are enamored with? I'd like to learn more about why you like it. Very generous PIF.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh that Wickham is the business. I have the cashmere.

Thanks for saying that. It doesn't seem to get much love around here, but I think Wickham a very top drawer shaving soap. I have the Cashmere and the Magnum (and can tell very little difference between them).

I find 1912 rather similar to SV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim - I like that table, but I don't know what those grades mean. Super, Best, Extra, Premium and Special all sound great to me. Is this table a hierarchy with 2000 at the bottom and SOC at the top?

I think it's something like that, but I'm just making some assumptions. I know the SOC seems to me like a top tier boar brush.

Would any manufacturer have a ranking table like this: Very Crummy, Not Too Bad, Almost Average, Average, Slightly Above Average, Pretty Good, Better Than Anything Else We Make?

Honestly, I think all the Semogue and Omega brushes I've tried are fine. The SOC seem to me to be the best I've tried, but I've tried a small sample compared to all the brushes they make.

My understanding, not necessarily correct, is the grades of bristles and such in boars and badgers is not standardized industry wide or anything of that sort. There are discussions ongoing about some brushes (badgers) which suggest you might not get what you pay for, and also suggest that some of the "lower" tier grades are actually sometimes very fine performers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not familiar with that soap at all.

Separate subject, do the tips the Stirling Fan brush in the photo (I have the same one) break in? I think mine is getting softer with use, but I could be delusional.

I'm far from a badger expert. I've read badgers don't break in (like boars), but I agree that mine seem to have become a bit softer.

Actually, my third Stirling badger, the new marble handled brush, could do with a bit of softening of its tips. It's fine as it is, but it is not as soft as my older Stirling brushes. Maybe they started exactly the same, but, if so, I disremember.

BOSC2.OtherGuysAreNuts.jpg

One is supposed to not worry about being delusional. Some of us are committed to the asylum. You are showing some of the signs.

Enablers R Us Buy Them All.jpg

SV is a terrific soap, but so is Wickham 1912. It is unnecessary :em2900: to have more than one great soap at a time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

so, I'm hoping to see a couple more brush reviews here. anybody take their brush for a spin, or a new soap for that matter?

Top Bottom