What's new

Brush Pics/Input Wanted

I've been using a Shavemac 22579 for the past two months. Recently I've come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to give the brush a day off now and again to dry out completely. Sound like a good idea? Anyway, it sounds logical to me and that's what I'm telling the wife. :001_smile

While I like the Shavemac's soft bristle tips, it does splay more than I thought it would, and at the same time really manages to hold onto the lather. Something with a bit more backbone that also gives up the lather more easily would seem ideal. So far, I'm primarily interested in Rooney medium style 3 in super, maybe a Duke 3, or the B&B brush if I can hold out.

I'd really love to see pictures of a medium Rooney and/or a Duke 3 next to large Shavemac...or other brushes for reference. Any pictures or help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want a brush that has a "strong backbone" and lathers beautifully, you might check into the Simpson's Persian Jar lineup. It sounds like you and I favor the same qualities in a brush, and I find my PJ3 to be a superior brush (for meeting the qualities that I desire) to my Shavemac 26mm Silvertip.

I had the feeling that a Persian Jar would be mentioned. :wink:

I know you guys think that the handle is great...comfortable, functional, etc. But, it just doesn't do much for me in the appearance category. Maybe I'll add the PJ to the list anyway.

Agent86 said:

I know you guys think that the handle is great...comfortable, functional, etc. But, it just doesn't do much for me in the appearance category. Maybe I'll add the PJ to the list anyway.
For me, the handle has nothing to do with it. The brush's performance is stellar.

Agent86 said:

Yeah, that shape is terrible. But it reminds me of something. . .now what was it?

Oh, yeah. . .:cool:

Thought I would bump this back up...

Anybody able to provide pics of a medium Rooney, Duke 3, or PJ2(I may succumb to the peer pressure) next to a 23mm Shavemac for reference? Any comments on Rooney's build quality, which I've noticed that Joel doesn't like?

You guys are killing me!!! I can't wait for my latest order of Simpsons brushes to arrive!

Agent,

Here is my PJ2 Best with my Shavemac #181 Silvertip, which is a 23mm knot. The PJ2 has yet to see water!
full

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,

Thanks...very helpful.

How would you compare the knot density and bristle stiffness on those two?

Kyle said:
Randy, that is a cool handle on the Shavemac. Is it a mother-of-pearl kind of thing?

Now I feel like an idiot. Kyle, my eyesight is not the best in the world, and I view it as more of a "marble" look. But now that you bring it up, in good light, it does take on a bit of MOP look. I don't look at 'em, I just use 'em! This Shavemac was my 4th brush...Surrey, Tweezerman, Omega Boar and then the #181. It is a heavy brush. And I don't use it as much as I used to, but I still enjoy it. For soaps, it's my favorite silvertip.

Randy

Top Bottom