What's new

Brush number 3

Hello gents,

I am in the market to buy my third shave brush. I shall be a good boy and follow the How-to-get-good-brush-picking-&-buying-advice-checklist-sticky posted by Ian:

1. My current brushes are:

DOVO Satin Silvertip Shave Brush

Knot Size 22mm
Handle Length 50mm
Hair Length 55mm
Overall Length 105mm

and

Rooney, Style 1, Small, "Super Silvertip"

Knot Size 22mm
Handle Length 42mm
Hair Length 45mm
Overall Length 87mm

What I like about these is the heft and handle of the DOVO brush and the length of the hair and the density of the Rooney brush.

What I dislike about them is that the DOVO brush is to floppy and the Rooney brush has too small and uncomfortable a handle along with feeling too prickly on my face (even after more than 30 uses).

2. When lathering, I use both soaps and creams. Although right now I find myself in a cream-phase. Recently I started building the lather in my hand (I like the feedback), but prior to that I mostly lathered in a bowl. There was however a period when I was lathering directly on my face.

3. I want my next brush to combine the softness of the DOVO with the denseness of the Rooney.

4. When it comes to the aesthetics of the brush, I would like the handle to be smooth with as little design details as possible (they tend to make the handle uncomfortable to hold). If that cannot be avoided in order for my demands to be met, then it is alright. The color doesn't mater too much (as long as you stick to traditional/typical brush handle colors, i.e no neon pink or anything of the sort). Materials do not matter too much either as long as the brush is well made. I am also leaning toward a fan shaped brush.

5. Regarding the budget; I would like to pay as little as possible (as would we all, I presume). But as is with most things, you get what you pay for. The quality comes before the price. As long as my needs are covered, I know what to aim for.

6. Size matters as they say. Right now I'm leaning toward a brush with a knot size of around 22mm and a brush loft of around 45-50mm.

7. The brushes that have piqued my interest are the following:

Edwin Jagger Chatsworth - Synthetic Head

Overall height 99mm (3.9 inches)
Handle height 46mm (1.8 inches)
Handle diameter 33mm (1.3 inches)
Knot size 21mm

and

The Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 2 (Medium)

Overall brush height: 96mm
Handle height: 48mm
Brush Loft: 48mm
Knot diameter: 24mm

I have also been eyeballin' the Simpsons Chubby 1 in best (or super?). But as I understand the Simpsons aren't what they used to be and I certainly am not going to pay a premium price for less than that in terms of quality.

and lastly:

8. This will definitely be my last brush; after all SBAD hasn't really gotten a hold of me. ;)

Thanks in advance.

/Aeonius

Last edited:
If you are looking indeed for something dense but meanwhile very soft (but still very firm) I would recommend a custom-made Shavemac with D01 hair (or at least silvertip). You can customize the handle (type, colour, material) and also the loft, knot size and type of loft (fan or bulb). I have a 19 mm knot, 46 mm loft D01 (from the group buy) and it seems everything one could ask for (and I have previous experience with other brushes, such as Simpsons, Muehle, Rooney, Kent).

If you are looking indeed for something dense but meanwhile very soft (but still very firm) I would recommend a custom-made Shavemac with D01 hair (or at least silvertip). You can customize the handle (type, colour, material) and also the loft, knot size and type of loft (fan or bulb). I have a 19 mm knot, 46 mm loft D01 (from the group buy) and it seems everything one could ask for (and I have previous experience with other brushes, such as Simpsons, Muehle, Rooney, Kent).

+1 but I would advise you to go with Finest hair. I know it sounds crazy, but I own a 1/1 Super, custom Shavemac D01, and a custom Shavemac Finest. See my review of Finest vs. D01 in my signature below. Finest with a 45mm loft will be softer than Rooney Super, and Bernd will make a fan-shaped knot. Just email him your requirements. I recommend a 21mm/45mm knot based on your comments (approximately $100 shipped). The same brush in D01 will run about $160 shipped. Shavemac finest hair is an amazing value.

I've owned quite a few brushes, including 5 Shavemacs, 3 Simpsons, a B&B essential, C&E BBB, BK4, and several others of lesser quality. The only brushes I use anymore are my Shavemac in Finest (19mm/45mm), Rooney 1/1, and Simpsons Wee Scot. I occasionally use the Shavemac D01 (21mm/50). I cannot recommend enough a Shavemac in Finest with the handle shape I have (the blue brush handle in my review) in whatever color you like. It's the most comfortable brush handle I've ever held, but you'd never guess that looking at it.

Good luck with your search.

-Andy

Last edited:
aeonius...take a look at my impression of a synthetic brush I purchased...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27683&page=4

Rgds...

I see that you like your synthetic brush. The reason I listed the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth - Synthetic Head, as one of the brushes that piqued my interest is because the synthetic brushes lather like crazy using very little product. Needless to say, I'm leaning toward the EJ brush between the two. The price does play a part in this case.

+1 but I would advise you to go with Finest hair. I know it sounds crazy, but I own a 1/1 Super, custom Shavemac D01, and a custom Shavemac Finest. See my review of Finest vs. D01 in my signature below. Finest with a 45mm loft will be softer than Rooney Super, and Bernd will make a fan-shaped knot. Just email him your requirements. I recommend a 21mm/45mm knot based on your comments (approximately $100 shipped). The same brush in D01 will run about $160 shipped. Shavemac finest hair is an amazing value.

I've owned quite a few brushes, including 5 Shavemacs, 3 Simpsons, a B&B essential, C&E BBB, BK4, and several others of lesser quality. The only brushes I use anymore are my Shavemac in Finest (19mm/45mm), Rooney 1/1, and Simpsons Wee Scot. I occasionally use the Shavemac D01 (21mm/50). I cannot recommend enough a Shavemac in Finest with the handle shape I have (the blue brush handle in my review) in whatever color you like. It's the most comfortable brush handle I've ever held, but you'd never guess that looking at it.

Good luck with your search.

-Andy

I read your review and after reading both your and random's comments posted here, I must say that a Shavemac brush sounds very alluring. And while you (and many with you), Andy, recommend the Finest hair grade there are equally many recommending the Silvertip and D01 hair grades.

As I said before, I find my Rooney 1/1 Super (22mm knot/44mm loft; not 45mm as I stated in the OP), a bit prickly on my face, even after I have broken it in.

Essentially I am looking for a brush that feels like silk on my face but does not take crap from any soap or cream and is not afraid to work on either face or palm/bowl. I would like the brush to give a good massaging feeling when lathering, as well.

At this moment in time one could say that I have a predilection for creams.

According to Hunter (his dual review can be found here), the difference between the D01 and the Silvertip grades is worth the extra money.

Let me ask you this: If there was no difference in price between the D01 and Finest grade Shavemacs that you own, would you still prefer the Finest over the D01?

Thanks in advance.

/Aeonius

P.S.
I also want the brush to produce nice, slick, lubricating lather with as little effort as possible. But I guess that goes without saying. And by the looks of it, any brush mentioned here will do. I guess I would not like a brush that holds the lather in the bristles (I have no experience with such a brush so I cannot be 100% sure). I can imagine it being a bit frustrating having to squeeze the lather out of the brush all the time. Oh, and did I mention that I care little about prickly brushes?

P.S.2
I'm also wondering how the Shavemac Finest/silvertip/D01 hair grades compare to other brands (say the Rooney Super/Finest and Heritage Super).

P.S.3
I've just bought this brush with a fan shape custom knot. It's too soon to review it properly, but initial impression is that Shavemac's "finest" is evey bit as good as Rooney's "super silvertip".

I found this post in this review here. Is this true? Because if it is then I will have to look away from the Finest grade Shavemacs.

Last edited:
Essentially I am looking for a brush that feels like silk on my face but does not take crap from any soap or cream and is not afraid to work on either face or palm/bowl. I would like the brush to give a good massaging feeling when lathering, as well.

Aren't we all...

...though, from what I understand, a Rooney in Finest fits the bill

Samouraï;1505199 said:
Aren't we all...

...though, from what I understand, a Rooney in Finest fits the bill

I am under the impression (after doing some reading) that the Rooney Finest hair grade is a bit strichy compared to the Heritage hair grade. Can anyone confirm?

/Aeonius

Top Bottom