What's new

Brush making 102 (Knots) #4 Gargantua

This is Gargantua and the biggest brush I've made at 30mm.
Loosely based on the Simpsons Chubby 3 it is one mm larger and slightly denser at about 32 grams Vs the CH3's approx 31 grams.

I don't see myself making anything bigger than this as it really is the max size I think I'd ever use. Anything larger would be vulgar IMHO.
It is the last of my Manchurian High Mountain so it is the top of the range hair.

Here's Gargantua next to a 24mm Queen red and a 26mm Black Thather style handle that I'll finish at some stage.
The handle is called White Marble if I recall correctly
PXL_20211119_140814399.jpg

Pre-trim
PXL_20211119_143611968.jpg

Mid-trim (Good shot of bulb shape from the bottom)
PXL_20211119_144035886.jpg

Post-trim
PXL_20211119_144952737.jpg

I haven't washed this yet so here it is in its virgin state
PXL_20211125_223835502.jpg

When this thing blooms I'll need a separate room for it
PXL_20211125_223854637.jpg

I'm not fully satisfied with the White Marble handle as the depth is only 12mm which I don't think is sufficient.
I may have to deepen it to 15mm but that will involve a dremel so I'll have to think about it.
It's perfectly functional but I'll need to wash it and lather to ensure backbone is to my liking.

One thing for sure though my soap expenses are going to go through the roof once this beast gets put into rotation.

That's awesome and it certainly is a beast. I have a 28mm SHD that I really enjoy and that is a big knot. The handle looks great too.

I was going through a spreadsheet where I keep all razor stuff and just realized this is actually the "two-band finest" and not the Manchurian.
The Manchurian went into Queen Red, the Ocean Blue and the Hexagon Cream.
The two-band finest is this one, a Hexagon Black I haven't finished yet and the original Queen Red.
So 5 top quality brushes all for less than the cost of a Simpsons Chubby 2.

Brought Gargantua for it's first shave today. It's still shedding at the moment so had a few hairs to deal with but I don't expect that to be a problem much longer. I find when a brush is still slightly damp running it through your fingers can make the stray hairs pop up above the surface and can be picked out easily. Also the remnants of badger are just about still there, another use should clear that up.

Used a La Toja stick for the first time today, I like it. A very kind Spanish ebayer threw it in free with a recent purchase.
I used more soap than usual because of the size of the brush (maybe 50% more) but it still wasn't enough to fill it so as predicted this will be a soap hog when it hits regular rotation. 30mm is definitely the largest brush I will make/use.

I'm also thinking I'll need to set the knot a little deeper, maybe 2-3mm, but as that required drilling it can wait. I just needs that tiny bit more backbone. Other than that it performed great and once it has 20 or so uses it should be excellent.

Just after the shave while still wet
PXL_20211207_155812871.jpg

The lightest of towel drying
PXL_20211207_160513360.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
This is Gargantua and the biggest brush I've made at 30mm.
Loosely based on the Simpsons Chubby 3 it is one mm larger and slightly denser at about 32 grams Vs the CH3's approx 31 grams.

I don't see myself making anything bigger than this as it really is the max size I think I'd ever use. Anything larger would be vulgar IMHO.
It is the last of my Manchurian High Mountain so it is the top of the range hair.

Here's Gargantua next to a 24mm Queen red and a 26mm Black Thather style handle that I'll finish at some stage.
The handle is called White Marble if I recall correctly
View attachment 1368261

Pre-trim
View attachment 1368262

Mid-trim (Good shot of bulb shape from the bottom)
View attachment 1368263

Post-trim
View attachment 1368264

I haven't washed this yet so here it is in its virgin state
View attachment 1368265
When this thing blooms I'll need a separate room for it
View attachment 1368266

I'm not fully satisfied with the White Marble handle as the depth is only 12mm which I don't think is sufficient.
I may have to deepen it to 15mm but that will involve a dremel so I'll have to think about it.
It's perfectly functional but I'll need to wash it and lather to ensure backbone is to my liking.

One thing for sure though my soap expenses are going to go through the roof once this beast gets put into rotation.
I find handmade, hand tied knots mesmerizing, right up there with campfires and Zamboni Machines. Those knot pictures are stunning. Once you get the handle depth to your liking, please throw consider adding to the St. Sue action so I can bid until can no longer afford. But for a few fleeting moments, I may fantasize of owning such a masterpiece.

Top Bottom