What's new

Brush loading time - this is totally crazy!!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Well... I face lather and in never takes me that long.

If I am using a hard triple-milled soap, I bloom it. That's the basics. I then pick up my brush, swirl it vigorously over the surface of the soap, holding the puck at about 80 degrees in my left hand, loading with my right hand. The excess water and foam drips into a bowl. When I'm done loading, I proceed to my face doing swirls, figurine motions and painting motions. I use the excess water, slurry basically from my bowl to dial in my lather. Works like a charm.

If I am using a cream, I will take a tiny bit, an almond-size amount and massage it on my wet face, like a "pre-shave". I'll then put another almond-size or so in my bowl and build the lather in a bowl, then proceed to face-lather on my face.

In either case, the loading takes seconds and definitely not minutes.
You're doing it all wrong.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It always amuses me when I see some of the photos in the thread below.

That thread reminds me that @sarimento1 takes outstanding photos. I’m almost always about to pull the trigger for a Feather Artist Club SS in lime green I truly don’t need because they look some awesome in his pics.

It always amuses me when I see some of the photos in the thread below. I could never imagine shaving with a brush filled with that much lather.

Frankly, I think it's counter productive.

Firstly, it's a waste. Secondly, such a dense lather will make for a worse shave, not a better one. I don't get why folks build these meringue-like lather mountains.

Maybe it's because I use SRs, I prefer to have a wetter lather that improves the glide and lubricates... but then, I build the lather the exact same way when I shave with any of my DEs.

+1, I LOVE @sarimento1's pics. He's a genius.

thanks for the nice mention!!
indeed, i confess to going overboard with lots of lather at times...

acca kappa cedra joris omega whipped cream october 20 2015.jpg

I am thrilled, just thrilled, you have found a loading method that works for you. As others have and will mention, many variables factor into load time (not an exhaustive list): water hardness, water temp, soap hardness, time between shaves with same soap, brush type, brush wetness, and--get this--personal preference!

I prefer to use synthetic brushes soaked with room temperature distilled water. I prefer to slightly overload my brushes with gentle motions. I use two soap bases. SV works best for me when bloomed with hot water and loaded for at least 30 seconds but closer to a minute. I typically load MdC for 15-20 seconds, despite knowing it works just fine with less than ten seconds of puck work. I usually spend two minutes+ face lathering both soaps with multiple returns to my water source. This might be excessive, but it thoroughly preps my face and whiskers for the shave, and yields enough lather for 3 passes and the "comfort lather" for post shave.

Shaving induced irritation is awful, to put it lightly. Optimizing one's soap/equipment requires experimentation, and loading heavy and dragging out the process helps some members avoid irritation.

I am thrilled, just thrilled, you have found a loading method that works for you. As others have and will mention, many variables factor into load time (not an exhaustive list): water hardness, water temp, soap hardness, time between shaves with same soap, brush type, brush wetness, and--get this--personal preference!

I prefer to use synthetic brushes soaked with room temperature distilled water. I prefer to slightly overload my brushes with gentle motions. I use two soap bases. SV works best for me when bloomed with hot water and loaded for at least 30 seconds but closer to a minute. I typically load MdC for 15-20 seconds, despite knowing it works just fine with less than ten seconds of puck work. I usually spend two minutes+ face lathering both soaps with multiple returns to my water source. This might be excessive, but it thoroughly preps my face and whiskers for the shave, and yields enough lather for 3 passes and the "comfort lather" for post shave.

Shaving induced irritation is awful, to put it lightly. Optimizing one's soap/equipment requires experimentation, and loading heavy and dragging out the process helps some members avoid irritation.
I too love SV, but with my Silver Top Badger, it still takes me just 15 or so seconds to load a bloomed Opuntia.

I admit, I do not build lather mountains, but I get enough for 3-4 passes.

Yeah, I'm a two pass shaver and I don't ever load longer than 30 seconds, and I only ever load that long if I'm using my Yaqi synthetic. My 1470 Semogue loads enough for two passed in 15 seconds. But then I don't like having tonnes of lather left over. I never bloom my soaps.

For what it’s worth, the Marco method doesn’t really work for me either. I respect Marco’s opinion on many things, but I struggled trying to make that technique work for me when I was a beginner. Eventually, I settled on the following:
  • Not blooming soaps
  • Using a damp, but not extremely wet, brush
  • Adding drops of water, until reaching the desired consistency in the lather (still a bit thick)
  • Applying lather directly to my face (I face lather) and adding drops of water to the brush until I get the desired slickness
My load time varies a bit, depending on the soap. If I’m using a super-fatted artisan soap, it can take up to 45 seconds to load. If I’m using a simpler soap (MdC, Haslinger, Tabac), load time is closer to 30 seconds.
Just to clarify - this post has nothing to do and is not about @Marco's method.

Anyone who knows anything about the wet shave game knows you need a two minute load. You just haven't advanced to that level yet. Keep practicing and you'll get it eventually!
I guess I am having trouble figuring out whether you're trying to make an attempt at being humorous by being sarcastic or you're just plain ignorant.

Top Bottom