What's new

Brush lifespan

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Most brushes will sadly out live most of their aging owners, if simply rinsed out, shook a few times before being stood up on the base. Buy a quality synthetic brush and eliminate all the BS. If you want to look at pretty things than by all means buy a alpine badger crotch haired elephant ivory handled brush that doesn’t last as long.
I'll be 69 in May. I just ordered two new synthetic brushes and have the one I'm using now. My brushes will outlive me, I'm sure. I'll be disappointed if they don't. ;)

I'll be 69 in May. I just ordered two new synthetic brushes and have the one I'm using now. My brushes will outlive me, I'm sure. I'll be disappointed if they don't. ;)
I am still using a family hand me down DD SR razor, honing stone, and strop. None of the kit seems to be on its last legs either.

I read somewhere else on here that it takes several days for a boar brush to dry properly and that is not good to have the brush wet / damp all the time. I'm on a bit of a boar kick at the moment, so does this mean that if shaving with a boar you should have 2 or 3 boar brushes and rotate them so that each brush dries properly?
Yes. Shake the water out first also.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I used a Proraso (Omega) boar for about 6 years exclusively when I first started DE shaving (about 2011) I recently retired it although it has seen a lot less use since I started using synths.
If you have one brush it will last you upwards of 5 years, if you have 100 brushes, upwards of 500 years

I used a Proraso (Omega) boar for about 6 years exclusively when I first started DE shaving (about 2011) I recently retired it although it has seen a lot less use since I started using synths.
If you have one brush it will last you upwards of 5 years, if you have 100 brushes, upwards of 500 years

Well if that statement is true I will be around a bloody long long long time then lol 230 brushes, and the last one arrived yesterday I have no more space to put any more in I might still get the odd one here and there. But 230 brushes is enough but now I cannot make my mind up if I want to reknot it or leave it, as it has never been used at all.....

I bought my Kent BK4 Silvertip from the local chemist 14 years ago. It’s an excellent brush, very well used, and as good as the day I bought it.
Oh yes I love the 3 I have the t4 bk4 and the bk8 people say they are floppy but I find them ok but I like 2 band badgers for face lathering

12.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Same here. I wish that I’d bought the BK12 as well now.
I prefer a softer brush and don’t have any problems face lathering.

I read somewhere else on here that it takes several days for a boar brush to dry properly and that is not good to have the brush wet / damp all the time. I'm on a bit of a boar kick at the moment, so does this mean that if shaving with a boar you should have 2 or 3 boar brushes and rotate them so that each brush dries properly?
I tend use brushes for months at a time never had a problem using the same boar brush every day. My boars are over 10 years old and and still going strong. Just shake the water out well and it will be fine to use in 24 hrs.

I have a Vanderhagen boar brush I got at a CVS back in 2007 I’m STILL using as my daily work horse and it’s still doing it’s job without fail. I condition it now and again- but it’s awesome. I’ve got other boar, Silvertip, and synthetic brushes I bought in 2011, 2012- and they hold up just fine as well. I don’t own too many brushes, and I use the boars almost exclusively. (3 boar rotation) Perhaps rotating brushes extends the duration of time one possesses a brush? Who knows. These are my beaters. I even own a Semogue 1305 I haven’t even taken out of the package as a spare in the event THAT brush goes bad, need to replace it, and poof it’s not available anymore. I keep spares of brushes I like handy- because that does happen. Happy shaves!

Perhaps rotating brushes extends the duration of time one possesses a brush?

That makes sense. After all, it means that a year's total uses is divided by three (in your case) instead of just one. Would also give each brush ample time to dry between uses, which I think is one of the bigger concerns of brush care.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think all brushes last longer then we think, as long as we take care of them. Its also super important to make sure that nobody buys one of those fake cheap clone brushes, because as long as your buying quality from a real brand, and its not a fake, you take good care of that brush, its gonna last you awhile. Some people on here claim their brushes are 50-years old, and are still like new today, know why? Cause they took care of them.

Many here report, that the best way to take care of your brush is a couple of things. (1) Do not leave soap in the knott, this will destroy the brush in short order if you do. (2) Do not put away your brush wet, remember you are civilized, not an animal, how would you wish to be taken care of if you were in an assistance living home?

(3) Do not smash the brush flat into the puck or on your face, this is not needed, and only adds in wearing out the brush sooner. Only the tips have to make contact with the puck or your face. If anybody can think of any other PRO-TIPS, please do so post them here to help others. But this is the main gist of it pretty much.

That makes sense. After all, it means that a year's total uses is divided by three (in your case) instead of just one. Would also give each brush ample time to dry between uses, which I think is one of the bigger concerns of brush care.
Yeah, agreed. I’m more a weekend and mid-week shaver myself. Tuesday or Wednesday and Saturdays or Sundays seem to be the schedule.

I've used my "Junli Shaving" brush (Chinese company) Silver tip badger exclusively for seven years. Proper care, thorough rinsing with clean water, hung to dry, not overly rough with it. It started to shed the stray hair or two, about a year ago. It's a full brush to being with, so it isn't even noticeable. I expect it will last years to come.

My oldest brush (and only brush until a few years ago) is an Ever Ready F40 (shown on the left) that my mom gave me (along with an Old Spice shaving mug) when I was in college 35 years ago. It was sufficiently worn down that I replaced the knot with a Maggard synthetic. It will outlast me.

20220510_224538.jpg

Well I finally killed a brush. After two year this Shavemac finally gave up the ghost. I had trouble with it from the beginning. Today the knot fell out of the handle completely. I imagine there would be about 50 shaves on it max. Not terribly impressed with this one…

7D22AC9D-1C58-4041-8CD9-E261C474D470.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well I finally killed a brush. After two year this Shavemac finally gave up the ghost. I had trouble with it from the beginning. Today the knot fell out of the handle completely. I imagine there would be about 50 shaves on it max. Not terribly impressed with this one…

View attachment 1453888

YIKES!!! 😲

Thats not what you want to see when you go to shave, and dude, is that handle filled with sand! Strange. Sorry this happened, especially with a nice looking brush knot.

Time to order a new brush from APShaveCo, I suggest heading over to their site, and seeing whats available. If you don't like the options available, you can contact Andrew directly on this site, and ask him to make you a custom brush with the new G5 brush knots that are available these days.

I just ordered a brush from him infact, I had him make a custom for me, premium G5C synthetic 24mm brush knot, in a Blue Lagoon handle. It will be here on the 16th according to updated tracking. Andrew is a really nice guy, so you should have no problems there.

YIKES!!! 😲

Thats not what you want to see when you go to shave, and dude, is that handle filled with sand! Strange. Sorry this happened, especially with a nice looking brush knot.

Time to order a new brush from APShaveCo, I suggest heading over to their site, and seeing whats available. If you don't like the options available, you can contact Andrew directly on this site, and ask him to make you a custom brush with the new G5 brush knots that are available these days.

I just ordered a brush from him infact, I had him make a custom for me, premium G5C synthetic 24mm brush knot, in a Blue Lagoon handle. It will be here on the 16th according to updated tracking. Andrew is a really nice guy, so you should have no problems there.
No need. I sent an short email to Bernd and a replacement is already on the way. After two years that is pretty good customer service. A quick reply and quick resolution. I’m sure the replacement will hold up just as well as my other Shavemacs.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

No need. I sent an short email to Bernd and a replacement is already on the way. After two years that is pretty good customer service. A quick reply and quick resolution. I’m sure the replacement will hold up just as well as my other Shavemacs.

I too am impressed with that customer service, especially since its been 2-years after the sale, that is what I call, quite the warranty!

Well, "how you are supposed to" is not backed up by an science I've read. I have a $200 badger that has never been on a stand and it's 10 years old and looks like a week old brush. I currently have 16 brushes on the brush shelves and all are sitting on the flat of the handle. No issues. I've seen pictures of 30-40 brush collections and none are on stands.

When soaking the boars (the badgers and synthetics don't require a soak, but it won't hurt them) I only soak the hair, not the knot. But when cleaning any brush I absolutely get the knot wet, in fact I hold the brush upside down and let the water pour into the knot. Leaving soap residue in the knot is worse than getting it wet for the duration of the cleaning.

But do what you like (except for leaving soap in the brush), it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Shelf or stand - either way the brush will dry. Just don't lock it up in the medicine cabinet where the air doesn't circulate freely.

I am confused how hanging a brush upside down can somehow be worse than standing it upright especially if the capillary action is stronger than gravity(!). I have been hanging mine for years without a problem either.

Top Bottom