What's new

Brush lifespan

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am confused how hanging a brush upside down can somehow be worse than standing it upright especially if the capillary action is stronger than gravity(!). I have been hanging mine for years without a problem either.

💯% AGREED! This is my philosophy, hang the brush upside down on the stand. This is the way!

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

I was hoping you guys can provide some advice. This is my first brush, which I've had for about 12 years now, maybe more. How can I tell if needs to be replaced or if it's approaching the end of its life cycle? It's not particularly soft anymore and there are occasional hairs that come off. It's an Edwin Jagger Best Badger.

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I was hoping you guys can provide some advice. This is my first brush, which I've had for about 12 years now, maybe more. How can I tell if needs to be replaced or if it's approaching the end of its life cycle? It's not particularly soft anymore and there are occasional hairs that come off. It's an Edwin Jagger Best Badger.

proxy.php

WOW, that brush looks rough. Ya, I think most animal hair brushes have a 10-year life cycle or so. Those hairs are not even straight anymore, their wiggly squiggly. And you say hairs are shedding out after that much time gone by? Ya, thats a sign your brush wishes to return to the ground. Its had a long life, it has nothing left to give. Its time to give it the respect it desires, and burry it in the backyard, while playing Taps.

You were a good brush, you brought many years of happiness, to bringing lather to my face, to massaging my face, to get me one step closer to whisker weight reduction. We've shared many laughs, and seen many hardships over the years. You will be greatly missed. As Taps continues to play, as the sun goes down, and the earth fades into darkness.

WOW, that brush looks rough. Ya, I think most animal hair brushes have a 10-year life cycle or so. Those hairs are not even straight anymore, their wiggly squiggly. And you say hairs are shedding out after that much time gone by? Ya, thats a sign your brush wishes to return to the ground. Its had a long life, it has nothing left to give. Its time to give it the respect it desires, and burry it in the backyard, while playing Taps.

You were a good brush, you brought many years of happiness, to bringing lather to my face, to massaging my face, to get me one step closer to whisker weight reduction. We've shared many laughs, and seen many hardships over the years. You will be greatly missed. As Taps continues to play, as the sun goes down, and the earth fades into darkness.
Lol! Thanks for confirming. I kind of thought it was time, but needed some expert validation.

Now the big question is… What should I get as a replacement brush? I have always lathered on the face and would really love something soft. There are way too many choices and recommendations out there and I have zero clue where to start! I can certainly identify which handles look cool, and that’s about it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Depends if you are into badger animal hair, or you prefer synthetic. If you prefer badger, I recommend 2-band silver tipped badger brushes with a short loft, no taller then 56mm, and between 24mm to 30mm knot. I have a Maseto 30 knot 56 loft 2-band silver tipped badger brush, and it provides superb scrub, but has nice soft hair tips, which I like. But the brush also has solid backbone, which means it won't fall flat on its face, it can maintain a good facial lathering scrub, without scratching your skin apart.

proxy.php

Or, if you prefer synthetics more. I just got a new brush awhile back that I love because it has the softness hair tips I've ever felt out of a brush. Its a custom made brush from APShaveCo, a vendor on B&B. I commissioned him to make me a G5C synthetic Japanese brush knot in the 24mm class, loft 56mm, in a Blue Lagoon handle. The only weird thing you have to get used to, is the brushes springy nature.

proxy.php

Now the big question is… What should I get as a replacement brush? I have always lathered on the face and would really love something soft. There are way too many choices and recommendations out there and I have zero clue where to start! I can certainly identify which handles look cool, and that’s about it!

Might I recommend buying more than one type of brush?

You can find an Omega boar brush for around $12, maybe cheaper, and people here love those. I really like my Zenith B33, but the copper handle made it quite a bit more expensive. They have other, more inexpensive brushes.

If you're willing to splurge, Simpson makes excellent badger brushes. Much, much more expensive, but boy are they nice!

I love my AP Shave Co G5A synth brush. I've also tried a Yaqi that a friend has, and it's really soft. I'm not sure what knot the Yaqi is, but it had significantly less backbone than my G5A.

I'd say grab a cheapo boar brush of some kind AND a badger or synth.

Oh, alternatively, get a new knot for your current handle. I've only replaced one knot and I used a "Master Badger" from Golden Nib. It was like $14, and much better than the Van der Hagen knot I replaced. Soft, and a bit scritchy, but a lovely scritch. It's super easy to replace, if you get the right diameter knot.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My dad's synthetic from the '60s lasted him until about 2010. I have it now and it's worn down and pretty much feels like a wire brush.
Did they have synthetic brushes in the 60's?? I remember seeing some old brushes that were made of nylon "bristles", cut-off pices from like a 30 lbs test fishing line. Picked one up out of curiosity at an antiques store. I would say it was totally unusable as a shaving brush.

If you take care of natural hair brushes they can last a very long time. I bought a badger brush from a Hoffrtiz store in 1993. I used that brush almost exclusively until I joined B&B in 2010 when it became one of three brushes in my rotation. That brush is still in my rotation today almost 30 years later. I take good care of my brushes. First, I do not mash the brush of apply excessive pressure on it when loading the brush, making lather, or applying lather to my face. I do not soak the brush in hot water so that the glue in the knot is not adversely impacted. After every use I thoroughly rinse out all of the lather that may remain in the brush. When a brush has been used the equivalent of 3 months I soak the brush in a mixture of white vinegar and water and soak the brush for a few minutes to eliminate any residual soap scum.

Did they have synthetic brushes in the 60's?? I remember seeing some old brushes that were made of nylon "bristles", cut-off pices from like a 30 lbs test fishing line. Picked one up out of curiosity at an antiques store. I would say it was totally unusable as a shaving brush.
I remember using my dad's 60s era synthetic as a teenager (ca 1980) and not finding any issues wit it being overly rough. Seemed to work just fine. I think those synthetics just don't age well when not used regularly. I bought a similar one that was low mileage and it was painfully scratchy.

Depends if you are into badger animal hair, or you prefer synthetic. If you prefer badger, I recommend 2-band silver tipped badger brushes with a short loft, no taller then 56mm, and between 24mm to 30mm knot. I have a Maseto 30 knot 56 loft 2-band silver tipped badger brush, and it provides superb scrub, but has nice soft hair tips, which I like. But the brush also has solid backbone, which means it won't fall flat on its face, it can maintain a good facial lathering scrub, without scratching your skin apart.

proxy.php

Or, if you prefer synthetics more. I just got a new brush awhile back that I love because it has the softness hair tips I've ever felt out of a brush. Its a custom made brush from APShaveCo, a vendor on B&B. I commissioned him to make me a G5C synthetic Japanese brush knot in the 24mm class, loft 56mm, in a Blue Lagoon handle. The only weird thing you have to get used to, is the brushes springy nature.

proxy.php
Thanks- I was able to settle on a nice synthetic brush and hope to receive it and n the coming week!
Might I recommend buying more than one type of brush?

You can find an Omega boar brush for around $12, maybe cheaper, and people here love those. I really like my Zenith B33, but the copper handle made it quite a bit more expensive. They have other, more inexpensive brushes.

If you're willing to splurge, Simpson makes excellent badger brushes. Much, much more expensive, but boy are they nice!

I love my AP Shave Co G5A synth brush. I've also tried a Yaqi that a friend has, and it's really soft. I'm not sure what knot the Yaqi is, but it had significantly less backbone than my G5A.

I'd say grab a cheapo boar brush of some kind AND a badger or synth.

Oh, alternatively, get a new knot for your current handle. I've only replaced one knot and I used a "Master Badger" from Golden Nib. It was like $14, and much better than the Van der Hagen knot I replaced. Soft, and a bit scritchy, but a lovely scritch. It's super easy to replace, if you get the right diameter knot.
Sounds good and makes sense. Are there tips or tutorials on how to replace a knot?

Sounds good and makes sense. Are there tips or tutorials on how to replace a knot?

I watched a few YouTube videos and read around on here about what adhesive to use. I went with a waterproof silicone adhesive used for gutters or windows or something, because I had it on hand. Epoxy is said to be more secure, but I wanted to be able to re-set the knot if I messed up. It held for me, and I ended up giving it to a friend who mentioned he wanted to try a small, short brush. He still loves it!

Dry-fit the knot first to see if it will need a spacer to get the loft you want.

Make sure you get as much of the original adhesive out as possible, and be sure to not use a huge glob when you set your knot.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How can I tell if needs to be replaced or if it's approaching the end of its life cycle? It's not particularly soft anymore and there are occasional hairs that come off.

Personally, I would keep on using it, until it was losing more and more bristles at every shave, or until catastrophic failure. I might give it a good "shampoo" and a comb, but there's nothing you've said about that brush that would stop me using it.

Personally, I would keep on using it, until it was losing more and more bristles at every shave, or until catastrophic failure. I might give it a good "shampoo" and a comb, but there's nothing you've said about that brush that would stop me using it.
Oh, interesting. OK, sure- That would be the path of least resistance for sure. I'll give it a good shampoo/cleaning. Because I don't really know what to look for in terms of tell-tale signs of failure, it sounds like loss of more bristles, breaking, or something really obvious, correct? Other than that, it's just a bit on the rough side with the tactile experience.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh, interesting. OK, sure- That would be the path of least resistance for sure. I'll give it a good shampoo/cleaning. Because I don't really know what to look for in terms of tell-tale signs of failure, it sounds like loss of more bristles, breaking, or something really obvious, correct? Other than that, it's just a bit on the rough side with the tactile experience.

To me, failure is the whole knot falling out, or losing a dozen or more hairs at every shave, and the whole thing going floppy. The odd one coming adrift occasionally is really nothing to fret over. As for the feel, it may change again in the next month or two. A good clean and comb might help it improve quicker.

Top Bottom