What's new

Brush Knot Depth?

So, your brush is a Silverwolf?

It's a great handle and worthy of a nice replacement knot. Good job of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Silverwolf... I like that! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment, it isn't perfect but I was happy with it for my first attempt at re-knotting a brush. The current generation of synthetics are surprisingly nice but I'll always have a preference for naturals, I'm a traditionalist at heart. That's what first attracted me to shaving with straights to begin with.

BTW, my ivory Mondial did finally arrive. I compared it to my satin brush and decided to tuck it away NIB.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Silverwolf... I like that! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment, it isn't perfect but I was happy with it for my first attempt at re-knotting a brush. The current generation of synthetics are surprisingly nice but I'll always have a preference for naturals, I'm a traditionalist at heart. That's what first attracted me to shaving with straights to begin with.

BTW, my ivory Mondial did finally arrive. I compared it to my satin brush and decided to tuck it away NIB.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

I have not yet used my ivory Mondial boar either. It's in its box at my office. I'm not saying it, but I'm stuck right now on a couple of Manchurians.

Even knowing how much other gentlemen like the synthetics I can't get into them. The ones I've purchased just haven't suited me at all. I like the naturals.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, those are both real beauties. Copper develops a great patina over time and I've always been a sucker for a nicely figured piece of wood. I looked at the Manchurians, they're tempting but I think my next brush is going to be the SOC Taj Caravela. I sent Phil a message at Bullgoose asking for a few details and it sounds like just what I'm looking for... like I really need another brush. :blush:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, those are both real beauties. Copper develops a great patina over time and I've always been a sucker for a nicely figured piece of wood. I looked at the Manchurians, they're tempting but I think my next brush is going to be the SOC Taj Caravela. I sent Phil a message at Bullgoose asking for a few details and it sounds like just what I'm looking for... like I really need another brush. :blush:

Jack, that's an interesting brush.

I'll be watching out for your photos and comments. I have the Omega Mixed Midget and find it a heavy hitter for its size.

My guess is there aren't any brushes better than the Zenith Manchurians, but it's not like I've tried every brush. I don't even have any of the very expensive badger brushes. I will have pretty soon a two band Thater brush (an upgrade knot replacement for my broken Thater boar knot); I'll be surprised if I like it as much as the Manchurians, but I'm open minded and will give it a chance.

2-7-19.GDKit.Boots.CopperMan.640JPG.JPG

I like both of my Zenith Manchurians a lot and have been alternating them (and only them) for a good while. I've determined that I like this copper handled Manchurian's knot better, but I might like the olivewood handle shape better. The copper Manchurian remains my very favorite brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think my next brush is going to be the SOC Taj Caravela.

I have the Omega Mixed Midget

Had to go to the web to find what Caravela was. I like wood grain better, but the ivory color does look nice. So the cherry wood at less money would seem a no brainer to me :)

I would like to try a badger/boar mix at some point, from my experience with both, I would think the combo would be horse-like (which is fine in my book). Just thought of this so am curious.

@Chan Eil Whiskers , I'm definitely interested in how you think the Thater 2 band compares to the Manchurian, those are both brushes I've seriously considered, along with Shavemac's D01 2 band.

I was disappointed in my one example of a 3 band silvertip (Royal Shave PB3), it's just too soft for me. I very much prefer my Shavemac Finest, with it's scrubbier feeling. Natural curiosity has me wondering if a good 2 band would be closer to perfect.

@Clay S , I guess there are some similarities between badger/boar and horse knots. It would probably depend on the tail/mane ratio of the horse. I've been very impressed with both of my Vie-Long brushes. One of the things i enjoy is the smaller proportions: my 24mm Vie-Long's are close to the size of my 20mm boar. My blonde 50/50 (13066B) is very soft at the tips with plenty of spine while my 65/35 (12705) has just a bit of scritch but it's still a very nice brush.

My only Badger/boar knot is the Maggard we discussed earlier. I'm really curious how that 80/20 would compare to Semogue's 50/50. My SOC boar is the cherry handled version, that's also offered with the 50/50 (Mistura?) knot if you're interested. From the reviews I've read, the Taj handles are supposed to have a bit more weight to them - and they're just... different.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers , I'm definitely interested in how you think the Thater 2 band compares to the Manchurian, those are both brushes I've seriously considered, along with Shavemac's D01 2 band.

I was disappointed in my one example of a 3 band silvertip (Royal Shave PB3), it's just too soft for me. I very much prefer my Shavemac Finest, with it's scrubbier feeling. Natural curiosity has me wondering if a good 2 band would be closer to perfect.

MS.2.Old.New.Fans.Silver.3-18.640.JPG

I have a few three band (silvertip) brushes which I like a good bit. Soft enough and with enough scrub for me (and I like scrub).

Ivory.Silvertip.Yaqi.2band.640.4-18.JPG

I also like this ivory handled silvertip, but it doesn't have the backbone or scrub of the blue handled Yaqi two band.

I like various badger brushes, but not all of them. I have silvertips which totally lack backbone and scrub and are pretty much worthless in my opinion; being soft just isn't enough. Thing is, it really depends a lot on how the brush is made, etc.

My Manchurians combine softness with scrub to a degree which seems perfect to me, but I'm not one to think anyone should like what I like.

Well, sometimes everyone is likely to like what I like. My tastes are the gold standard.

When you quit laughing at me...I'll post about the Thater when I've had a chance to use it. Assuming it actually arrives.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I like various badger brushes, but not all of them. I have silvertips which totally lack backbone and scrub and are pretty much worthless in my opinion; being soft just isn't enough.
That's exactly why I don't care much for my 3 band PB3, it's so soft it's helpless.

Well, sometimes everyone is likely to like what I like. My tastes are the gold standard.

When you quit laughing at me...I'll post about the Thater when I've had a chance to use it. Assuming it actually arrives.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Actually, I pay a lot of attention to your reviews because we seem to like the same qualities in brushes. You were dead on with your review of the Mondial boar. The handle is bigger than I expected but once I adjusted to it, it was fine. While it was great out of the box, something magical happened at shave #8 and it was like a totally different brush. It's now one of those vary rare brushes: if it was the only brush I owned, I'd be content with it. I have one or two others like that, I'm sure you do as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Actually, I pay a lot of attention to your reviews because we seem to like the same qualities in brushes. You were dead on with your review of the Mondial boar. The handle is bigger than I expected but once I adjusted to it, it was fine. While it was great out of the box, something magical happened at shave #8 and it was like a totally different brush. It's now one of those vary rare brushes: if it was the only brush I owned, I'd be content with it. I have one or two others like that, I'm sure you do as well.

Thanks.

I'm so glad the Mondial has been great for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Actually, I pay a lot of attention to your reviews because we seem to like the same qualities in brushes.
I like @Chan Eil Whiskers reports on brushes, even though he does use badgers some times :) He makes the badgers he likes seem very boar like. If I could ever figure out the reason to pay more for a brush that behaves like a boar, or if the prices are ever the same, I might buy a badger that acts like a boar. :)

But I do respect his opinion on brushes, Love My Zenith B25!

I had to look up the number, that olive wood is really nice. So far, the "Short and Scrubby" B17 is my only Zenith. That brings me up to 6 boars, 4 of them are used in my rotation. I'm most likely done buying boars now unless something really special pops up.

There are maybe three badgers I'm interested: the SOC Taj Caravela, Shavemac D01 2 band and Thater 2 band - either a 4125 or beehive. Those last two are far off in the future, exceeding the $150 mark for a brush isn't something I'll do without a lot of thought.

Last edited:
I was online today when I received an email from Bullgoose. 15% of shaving brushes from Thater, Semogue, Muhle and Asylum through Tuesday, Feb. 12 (code: BRUSH15). I really did intend to wait until payday but... I now have a SOC Taj Caravela inbound. Figured $51 was too hard to pass up.

I'm really curious how the Taj, a 24mm 50/50 knot, lofted to 57mm compares to my 24mm Maggard 80/20 lofted to 48-50.

Top Bottom