What's new

Brush Important?

Oh, on the cheaper brush recommendations. Pretty much any boar brush by Omega or Semogue should be a good value between $10 and $25.

My first brush was an Omega Pro. My second was a Semogue 830. They shed like a Labrador in spring time but seemed to work just fine so I didn't feel like I was missing anything, but the first time I used my Paladin I swear I could hear a choir of angels singing.

As with many other hobbies, like speakers, the less expensive units get the job done. And higher price doesn't always mean improved performance, but there's often a correlation. However, it's often the case that you see diminishing returns for your money.

Last edited:
Gosh my Omega 10065 boar served me very well for four months every day. I only shelved it because I was gifted a beautiful Simpson best badger brush by a friend - HOW CAN I NOT USE THAT??? The Simpson is now my daily user and will be for a LONG time to come. It's about a $50-something brush and a real beauty that performs well also.

That Omega 10065 is about a $10-$15 brush I think? I face-lather daily. The 10065 performed great and I'd still be using it for a long time to come if I hadn't received that Simpson. It's now going to be my Travel Brush and is still a great user.

You don't get something for nothing
You don't get freedom for free
You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be

Well done responding to newbie Rush2112!

The Omega or Semogue boar brushes have a number of fantastic low-cost (not cheap) brushes that will add to your shaving experience. Vintage Shaves, Whipped Dog and other badger brushes are good choices for the next step up $30-40 range. If you look around you can find some sweet deals. My Omega 10066 is a pretty sweet brush and I have seen it for $7 here in the States.

Yes the brush is important but no need to break the bank on one. I enjoy a good boar brush and suggest buying 2. The omega 10065 or 10066 is a good brush with the only difference being the handle color, I also have the pro 48 or 49, and it's a fine brush but it's large now for why I said to buy 2. Boars require a break in period but once broken in they are soft and you really see their true potential. I have found that the boar hair breaks in better if allowed to fully dry, and with the omega pro it may not of been all the way dry even if it had been almost 24 hours between shaves. You can get 2 omega 10066 or 10065s from west coast shaving for 18 bucks plus shipping, and with 2 brushes you can allow each brush the proper time to dry out and allow the hairs to split and break in. I've owned a badger brush and they are nice but for me considering price and my methods of shaving , along with my choice of soaps I do prefer boar. Plus if something happens to my brush I'm out 10 dollars.

Last edited:
Well done responding to newbie Rush2112!

The Omega or Semogue boar brushes have a number of fantastic low-cost (not cheap) brushes that will add to your shaving experience. Vintage Shaves, Whipped Dog and other badger brushes are good choices for the next step up $30-40 range. If you look around you can find some sweet deals. My Omega 10066 is a pretty sweet brush and I have seen it for $7 here in the States.

Thanks Labrax!

Welcome Rush2112,

Or, you might begin a journey to find that perfect knot of hair...

I had heard the whispered tales of immortality
The deepest mystery
From an ancient book I took a clue
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown
Time and Man alone
Searching for the lost Xanadu

Good luck and Go Hawks!

Mr. Bob - Kudos to you as well for creativity!

As for selecting the best boar brush:

Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings
But there are times for you and me
When all such things agree

Good luck with the brush search!

Decent brushes can make a difference but I'm on a similar track of not breaking the bank. Had fun with expensive ones in the past but gradually went back to basics. Omegas ended up working great just over a dozen bucks.

Always a ymmv thing.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes that a good brush is the most important part of a good shaving experience.

In 2009 I had two brushes, an antique that was beyond use and a well worn Surrey Boar (same as current VDH cheapest boar) and I suddenly discovered that badger brushes were alive and well, I just didn't know where to get them.

Today, I have about 20 brushes, and I use nearly all of them. The antique was re-knotted and its lovely. What I almost never use is the old Surrey and a $10.00 pure badger that is very scratchy and sheds a lot. From Best Badger, to Finest Badger, and Silvertip, they all have their advantages, and from 16 mm travel brushes to 30 mm Beasts. I love every one of them.

Once you get started, you will too.

Top Bottom