What's new

brush identity

I purchased this brush the same time I bought the blue tip last weekend.

20191027_120311.jpg

no markings, numbering, or lettering.

any guesses to the mfr? I only ask because I've grown to like it and it's really soft.

I realize it may be a no name generic mfr from sometime in the past and not held with high esteem.

thanks

camo

pretty old. it was in the same booth as the 58 blue tip. there was another brush there too that was ragged out.

I know none of these facts are proof positive. it also had an unbelievable amount of dust.

all in an antique mall locally.

camo

thanks all.

think I over paid for it (14) but took a gamble. for how soft it is......would do it again!

at the time was more happy about the blue tip and its condition.

Is that wood? I have a plastic one that looks just like it, same ivory color. The VDH guys bought those handles to make brushes from the '70s until just recently, first under the Surrey name and then their own name when Surrey went under. So they had a hell of a long run and if you want one you can pick from any of about 100 on eBay at any given time for around ten to twenty bucks. Which frankly seems like too much considering what they cost new and what the current ones sell for, but postage ain't free, I guess. The knot quality is, shall we say, variable. It's been my experience that they're often sparse and like to shed, but then they do make a nice lather and have great flow-through...

Unfortunately the boar brushes just recently changed to a cheap chinese injection molded black persian jar style handle. I like the old one better.

Is that wood? I have a plastic one that looks just like it, same ivory color. The VDH guys bought those handles to make brushes from the '70s until just recently, first under the Surrey name and then their own name when Surrey went under. So they had a hell of a long run and if you want one you can pick from any of about 100 on eBay at any given time for around ten to twenty bucks. Which frankly seems like too much considering what they cost new and what the current ones sell for, but postage ain't free, I guess. The knot quality is, shall we say, variable. It's been my experience that they're often sparse and like to shed, but then they do make a nice lather and have great flow-through...

Unfortunately the boar brushes just recently changed to a cheap chinese injection molded black persian jar style handle. I like the old one better.

I recently bought a green handled new one with the same shaped handle and it is definitely a injection molded one. I shaved with a blue handled Surrey with the same shape handle for decades and a wooden handled one like it before that. Tossed them out when they were shot. I bought the new one to remind myself of how much nicer the new badgers are.

Top Bottom