What's new

Brush Ideas

I have been using a Stirling Finest Badger for about four weeks now, and although I like the soft tips, the brush overall has two main drawbacks for me.

First, the brush has a bit too much backbone for my taste. If the knot was set higher in the handle the amount of backbone to floppiness ratio might be spot on. As is, though, too much stiffness for my usage.

Second, the brush does not like to give up the lather. I want the brush to release the lather easier so it transfers to the beard more efficiently.

Considering those two drawbacks, what badger brush would you recommend I look into (I own and use an Omega Boar 10049, so only badger recommendations please)?

If you have specific needs, you might want to purchase a handle and a knot and set it yourself. If it needs to be adjusted, you’ll be able to do that.

I cut off the handle of my Stirling Finest. Then I re-mounted it into a new handle, but higher. I like it better, but am still testing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I cut off the handle of my Stirling Finest. Then I re-mounted it into a new handle, but higher. I like it better, but am still testing.

I watch your videos and I do recall you mentioning that. I am awaiting your thoughts after more uses.

I like your videos very much btw.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

If you have specific needs, you might want to purchase a handle and a knot and set it yourself. If it needs to be adjusted, you’ll be able to do that.
That might be an option. I just need to give it a shot at some point.

I watch your videos and I do recall you mentioning that. I am awaiting your thoughts after more uses.

I like your videos very much btw.

I had to reset that knot. Should be ready for me to use on Saturday.

And I'm glad you're getting something from the vids. Thanks for the kind words!

I would say you are looking for a 3 band Silvertip.

A Shavemac 3 band Silvertip would be the top on my list, but they come at a higher cost. (approx $130)

The West Coast Shaving Silvertips seems to get good reviews but I have not personally used one. (approx. $50)

I have been using a Stirling Finest Badger for about four weeks now, and although I like the soft tips, the brush overall has two main drawbacks for me.

First, the brush has a bit too much backbone for my taste. If the knot was set higher in the handle the amount of backbone to floppiness ratio might be spot on. As is, though, too much stiffness for my usage.

Second, the brush does not like to give up the lather. I want the brush to release the lather easier so it transfers to the beard more efficiently.

Considering those two drawbacks, what badger brush would you recommend I look into (I own and use an Omega Boar 10049, so only badger recommendations please)?
That's interesting, is yours one of the newer Stirling brushes? I have one of the older model finest brushes and the characteristics are very opposite: I wish it had more backbone, and it gives up lather very easily. Nice gelly tips though

I would say you are looking for a 3 band Silvertip.

A Shavemac 3 band Silvertip would be the top on my list, but they come at a higher cost. (approx $130)

The West Coast Shaving Silvertips seems to get good reviews but I have not personally used one. (approx. $50)
Thank you for the tip.

That's interesting, is yours one of the newer Stirling brushes? I have one of the older model finest brushes and the characteristics are very opposite: I wish it had more backbone, and it gives up lather very easily. Nice gelly tips though
I don't know but I'll assume it's from a newer batch since I purchased it not too long ago.

There's the Yaqi aqua highmountain
1.JPG

Great recommendation, but that handle has proven very uncomfortable for me.

Top Bottom