What's new

Brush handle shapes- Please add pics of your favourites!

EDIT:I'm changing this to a post your handle thread!
To the brush aficionados:
Please post up some pics of your favorite brush handle designs along with the:
- Name of the handle shape
- Material(s)
- Brand(s) that offer this handle
- Dimensions (if you have them/want to)
- What you like about the shape

If we get a lot of posts maybe I can throw it into a spreadsheet and submit to the shavewiki...

ORIGINAL POST:
Is there a compendium of various handle shapes somewhere? I know what the basic shape are, such as tulips keyholes and beehives, but there are often others referenced that I am unfamiliar with, such as Victorian. If there isn't a good listing maybe that would be a good thing to add to either the stickies or the shave wiki?

Last edited:
Is there a compendium of various handle shapes somewhere? I know what the basic shape are, such as tulips keyholes and beehives, but there are often others referenced that I am unfamiliar with, such as Victorian. If there isn't a good listing maybe that would be a good thing to add to either the stickies or the shave wiki?

If you would like me to, I can edit your thread title to request that our members add photos of their unusual brush handles to this thread. Then it could indeed become the start of a useful Wiki article.

Just drop me a PM if you fancy that idea.

I like the idea. One challenge is that, unlike say smoking pipes, most of the shapes are somewhat brand specific ad opposed to universal, though this is further complicated by brands copying each other. I still think this is a worthwhile project though

I favorited this thread and hope that it moves forward. This is something that facinates me. I would be more than happy to contribute photos of my anemic collection!

Let me suggest this also. As the wiki grows, it may be possible to create a classification system. One based on the characteristics of the brush handles. Such a system could help to even out the maker specific differences and help a new user find similar brush handle shape to one they like but can't find or can't afford. I would be more than willing to assist with something like that.

I like the idea. One challenge is that, unlike say smoking pipes, most of the shapes are somewhat brand specific ad opposed to universal, though this is further complicated by brands copying each other. I still think this is a worthwhile project though
Bass, you have a point there. It might get users into different brands of brushed. As if there was another need for AD:001_tt2:

Would definitely also give inspiration for anyone interested in ordering a custom brush from one of the incredible hobbyists.

I would love to know also the dimensions of the handles, knot and loft.

I was mostly interested in shapes not sizes, they can always be scaled and adjusted for a specific brush...
I originally asked partly because I'm interested in custom handles, and partly because sometimes in a thread a member will refer to a specific handle shape without posting a picture...

DJH, I sent you a PM about changing the title thread that would be awesome!

Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Once the name is changed, will our "favorite" still point to this thread or do we need to search for and favorite the new name?

Away from cell, camera etc. but for me, the best shape would be that found on the Pro 49 or the Semogue 1305/1250. I find both very comfortable even with arthritis in both hands.

$don mcivor brush.jpg

from don mcivor.
i call this the 'mae west' handle.
but most of you probably never hear of her??

I've always wondered what those long handles were like. Do you load/lather with the same type of swirling motion using only the wrist?

I was mostly interested in shapes not sizes, they can always be scaled and adjusted for a specific brush...
I originally asked partly because I'm interested in custom handles, and partly because sometimes in a thread a member will refer to a specific handle shape without posting a picture...

DJH, I sent you a PM about changing the title thread that would be awesome!

Let me know if you need help DavidLS, it sounds like a great idea.

And thank you for your service.

Three of my favorites.

One the left Kent 2009 B&B LE and on the right Kent BLK4.
$kents1.jpg

This is a Simpson PJ3 handle with a custon D01 knot. The handle is very comfortable when face lathering.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Great idea...bet this may pique the interest of some of the artisans ou there too! I'm out now with my IPad, but will post when I can add pics!

Top Bottom