What's new

Brush handle replacement question

I have an AOS silvertip badger brush that my brother gifted me with when I got into wet shaving a couple of years ago. This was actually my first brush. Since then I've purchased a few synthetics and boar brushes and the AOS sits pretty much unused. Not because it's a bad brush, it's very good. But I hate the handle. I used it last week and I find the handle too small and uncomfortable in my hand.

I'm not getting rid of it since it was a gift from my brother and I really would like to use it more often. So I'm thinking a good solution would be to transfer the knot to a larger handle.

I know very little about brushes so I'm looking for input from the more knowledgeable members on this forum. Is this a good idea? What are my options? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• AOS Silvertip.jpg
    AOS Silvertip.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 11
Two suggestions:
1. Check out the ‘brush making and restoration’ threads! That’s for ‘do it yourself.’
2. The alternative would be to ask someone like Rudy Vey to help (he does great work)!

Two suggestions:
1. Check out the ‘brush making and restoration’ threads! That’s for ‘do it yourself.’
2. The alternative would be to ask someone like Rudy Vey to help (he does great work)!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that.

@BigJ - I wanted to thank you again for your suggestions to my question about replacing the handle on my AOS silvertip brush. After reading a lot of information on the brush making and restoration threads I decided to try doing it myself. I was able to remove the knot with steam. Came out in one piece.
One issue I ran into was the knot was surrounded by a metal ring (?). But even then I was able to cut it off in pieces with nail clippers..........
The other issue was I had purchased a generic 20mm handle through amazon and the knot was just a tad smaller. But following the advice from the forum, I just used a sharp knife and 60 grit sandpaper and widened it to 21mm.

Anyways, here's the result:
image.jpg
Not a work of art but functional.

Last edited:
@BigJ - I wanted to thank you again for your suggestions to my question about replacing the handle on my AOS silvertip brush. After reading a lot of information on the brush making and restoration threads I decided to try doing it myself. I was able to remove the knot with steam. Came out in one piece.
One issue I ran into was the knot was surrounded by a metal ring (?). But even then I was able to cut it off in pieces with nail clippers..........
The other issue was I had purchased a generic 20mm handle through amazon and the knot was just a tad smaller. But following the advice from the forum, I just used a sharp knife and 60 grit sandpaper and widened it to 21mm.

Anyways, here's the result:
View attachment 1055842
Not a work of art but functional.

Great work! Enjoy!

Nice job.... I was hoping that you were going to follow up on your post. I have a butter scotch handle that I was thinking of reknotting with a AOS brush.

Nice work, especially for your first attempt! Now the brush will get regular use.
Thank you. The hardest part was removing the knot. I had to pull a few times before it came out.
The brush will definitely see more use and the handle is very comfortable which is what I was looking for.

Nice job.... I was hoping that you were going to follow up on your post. I have a butter scotch handle that I was thinking of reknotting with a AOS brush.
It wasn't very hard. Again the toughest part was removing the knot. And to be honest I liked it so much I bought a 22mm high mountain white badger knot and a 24mm handle from amazon and put it together also :001_smile
Just take your time doing it

Top Bottom