What's new

Brush handle blanks

I've been reading and I'd really like to assemble and hand finish my own brush. I've found some very nice knots at golden nib but I find their handle selection a little lacking. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to get wooden handles. I don't have a lathe (or the skill/artistry) to turn my own.

I've found some hits on google but I'd prefer a recommendation over some random website.

Thanks so much!

Find some old brushes with bad knots and remove them, clean them up, reknot. A good place to start is Ever-Ready brushes, there are tons out there and a lot of them are quite nice.

No worries, there are lots of threads on the various ways to get the knot out. In my experience the best way is cut the hairs down as far as you can, use a drill press to drill it out as close to the edge as possible, use a dremel to clean out the hole. If there is no bottom to the knot hole put something in there to hold the knot and support it while the epoxy sets. (like more epoxy or cork or something...)

I recommend a longer setting epoxy, not instant, so you have some time to adjust the knot, make sure it's straight, clean it up if some squooshes out...

Take pictures and let us know how it goes, and come on back with any questions.

Top Bottom