What's new

Brush for mama bears soap

Have just received my first mama bears shave soap and now need a brush - should I go for a boar or are pure badger good enough on these hard soaps?

Have just received my first mama bears shave soap and now need a brush - should I go for a boar or are pure badger good enough on these hard soaps?

Clar,

First of all, welcome to Badger & Blade!

Secondly, this morning I used an Omega #81056 boar brush with Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood soap and made superb lather. I will also use a Rooney 3/1 Super Silver badger and get superb lather as well. I generally won't use my Shavemac #501 because the knot is real big and floppy. I think just about any brush with a little backbone will work great on Mama's soaps.

If your budget is a consideration, I would consider an Omega Boar. Seems like I paid about $12 of $13 for mine. It is an excellent brush, plenty of backbone, and had not shed a hair since I started using it over a year ago. It will be the best $13 you'll ever spend in my opinion.

DL

I get a wonderful lather from Momma Bear's with a pure badger, I just put a little water on the soap and let is sit for a bit. I have not tried it with a boar, but being MB's I suspect you could get a good lather from it with a tooth brush. :biggrin1:

I just popped the lid on my first Mama Bear soap tonight. I used a Edwin Jagger Best badger brush. The brush had plenty of backbone and worked great. The brush costs a little over $40. I believe it's the best bang for a buck as far as badger brushes go. But if your budget is super tight, the Omega Boars are the way to go.

My Omega Boar (#49) works very well with Mama Bear's. Like the previous poster commented, MB would probably lather well with a toothbrush. I use the unscented soap as either a standalone product or also as the base for a superlather. Money well spent.

I've been using a vie long silvertip badger and it works fine. Full disclosure, it is my first and only brush, so I don't have any comparison. At any rate, Mama Bears lathers pretty easily

I've used several brushes and they have all done well.

restored Ever Ready with 20mm Extra stuffed Finest knot,
restored Ever Ready with 20mm Grade A Silvertip
LIjun&1980 Silvertip
LiJun&1980 Finest
Omega Pro 49
EJ Pure Badger

They've all worked well. Should be an easy soap to use.

I use a tweezerman badger brush I got at Harris Teeter for $14 and it does great! :thumbup:
Just let it sit in a little Hot Water for a bit before you lather up.

I use a Duke 3 in Best and a Savile Row 3824 with Sue's soaps and always have more than enough great quality lather for my 3 passes and cleanup.

I have badger and bristle combo brushes, and three badger brushes - and all of them work fine with Mama Bear's soaps. I personally think these are among the easiest soaps to lather.

omega silvertip brush, and a previous tweezerman work well with the mama bears for me.

very easy to lather, Love mama bears! just finiished 4 of them plan on ordering 4 more!

I have badger and bristle combo brushes, and three badger brushes - and all of them work fine with Mama Bear's soaps. I personally think these are among the easiest soaps to lather.

It seems that I saw a Badger/Boar combo at Shoebox Shave Shop's website. I thought it was the Omega Mighty Midget. Recently I tried to find that brush again and couldn't. The Mighty Midget's desciption does not say it's a blended knot. What is the brush that you are using?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!!

DL

I've switched from silvertips to only my semogue 1305. Amazing brush, especially for the price. Took a solid 2 months to break in, but it was totally worth it. Good for creams too.

I just used my Mama Bear's Irish Tweed soap with my trusty Edwin Jagger best badger this morning. Loaded it up for a full minute and as usual was rewarded with some great lather. 3 passes worth.
Showered with my Irish Tweed Mama Bear's soap and threw on an after splash of Irish Tweed from MB's.
Begosh and Begorrah. Why am I talking this way?:rolleyes5

I haven't used mama bear but I use QED soaps which are glycerin based as well so they will behave somewhat similarly.

For QEW I always like to use a stiff, springy Simpson's 2-band Super badger hair brush (i.e. Tulip, Chubby). You can use any brush with any soap but it just seems like thee glycerin soaps take a bit more scrubbing to load up the brush.

It seems that I saw a Badger/Boar combo at Shoebox Shave Shop's website. I thought it was the Omega Mighty Midget. Recently I tried to find that brush again and couldn't. The Mighty Midget's desciption does not say it's a blended knot. What is the brush that you are using?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!!

DL

It is from Caswell-Massey. I have two of them. My oldest son gave one to me as a Christmas present along with some soaps - and then two years later gave me the identical brush again! The two on the left are the brushes. View attachment 142916

Top Bottom