What's new

Brush for Hard Soap: Paladin, Brad Sears, Simpson, Morris & Forndran?

+1, exactly. Some brushes want to be used more gently than others, but 10+ minutes covered with hot water will tame any hard soap I've ever tried.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely go this route and let soak a while longer

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely go this route and let soak a while longer

I don't know how long it takes. I use hard soaps almost exclusively. What I've done for about as long as I can remember is heat water some water in a teapot before showing (which shouldn't be necessary; it's just what I do when I can), and then cover the top of my soap with it and let it soak while I'm in the shower. Depending on how much loose water is standing when I'm ready to load my brush, I might pour out some of it, but not any of the soap that has liquefied or turned soft. It usually doesn't take much pressure or time to load when I do that.

Shavemac is also a maker that should not be forgotten here. Their two-band silvertip blows all the mentioned makes out f the water.

I must say that I agree w/ @Rudy Vey. I post photos below of my brush rig. Of the 23 brushes shown, 9 are Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots. I've tried all the brands in the original post; these are the ones I reach for. :thumbsup: YMMV.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Last edited:
I just discovered blooming recently but haven’t played with it much yet maybe soon I will! I have a thater I love with several new brushes from that darn rob(shipped), m&f(shipped), wolf whiskers(on waitlist) and possibly Paladin to come. I am very excited to try some of these guys works a Mozingo is also being discussed currently.

I’ve got a lot of Simpson’s and I have to say I think shavemac 2 band is a better value if you put function over all else. I like Simpson’s better, but I’m paying a premium for classic looks that don’t effect usability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR 400 tuxedo, works perfectly for MWF and hard water for me. Also Muhle synthetic perfect brushes, and all are inexpensive.

For difficult to lather soaps, almost nothing beats a synthetic. I've tried Boar, Badger, and even Horse, and I'm sorry, my synthetics just lather nearly any soap quicker, and create more lather from less soap/cream in the process. My favorite is a 30mm Tuxedo from Maggards, that I set into a Pro-49 handle. (If you pull the reducer ring, a 30 fits just fine into that handle). - Best $11-$14 bucks I've spent towards a brush.

RR also has their 26mm Monster, which for its size is also a lather beast, my 2nd favorite brush. At the bottom of my heap is my Semogue Boar, which I rate under the horse brush I made. I've gifted and sold off most of the non-synthetics, and would trade the Semogue for another synth in a heartbeat.

If you want to retain some heat, just use a scuttle to keep the lather warm, or dribble hot water onto the brush before applying for the next pass.

Shavemac is also a maker that should not be forgotten here. Their two-band silvertip blows all the mentioned makes out f the water.
Are those the knots you sell? :a38:

I'd take these types of comments from this or any vendor who promotea their own goods, with a grain of salt. I see not much has changed in my time away from the forum.

I'm not saying they are not good knots, just be aware of who is telling you they are the best ever and why.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I think the Brad Sears are absolutely beautiful, but far out of my price range, so i'll just stick with my Razorock, Yaqi, WCS, and Omega brushes and be quite happy.😀

Agree 100%. I prefer triple milled tallow soaps and I have a couple shavemac two-band silvertip knots that are fantastic with any type of soap or cream. Shavemac 2 bands are THE standard by which all knots are judged.

As great as shavemac 2-band knots are....I did get lucky with a Brad Sears hybrid a couple years ago that turned out to have gel-tips. This is my favorite brush. This pic was of the soap and happen to catch the brush... but its all I have at hand.

So if it were my $$ and I was looking to get one brush that would be a sure thing... I would opt for a Shavemac 2-band silvertip knot, probably 26mm and have Rudy Vey set it for me in one of his custom handles. I've got a couple of Rudys brushes and they are excellent.

To the OP...all I can say is brushes are a deep deep rabbit hole. Enter with caution Sir.

Shapen.JPG

Are those the knots you sell? :a38:

I'd take these types of comments from this or any vendor who promotea their own goods, with a grain of salt. I see not much has changed in my time away from the forum.

I'm not saying they are not good knots, just be aware of who is telling you they are the best ever and why.

Rudy has answered this...

In the first case they had sent me a great sample knot. When I did my order, the knots I got were not close to what the sample was, much less dense. Even the weight showed the difference. The second company I bought from was sending in several orders super quality knots; I even made a groupbuy with them once. Then the next order they were very scritchy, so I could only use one for someone who likes scritch. The problem is that you really cannot talk to someone in these companies, and it is always a gamble if you get what you expect. It is for us small guys a huge risk to send a couple thousand bucks to someone in China and the hope to get what you expect. I am not doing this anymore and my fix is an easy one: I use mainly Shavemac knots. I have been there and visited them, have seen how the knots are made. I also can talk with the owner on the phone in our mother tongue (very helpful that we are both German); if there is ever a problem, a quick call and it is fixed. Yes, the knots are much more expensive than the ones from China but there is no risk for me involved. Their quality is outstanding, and over all the years I use them (since 2009) consistent. The last point is very important to me, and my customers confirm this; I have yet to get a complaint about inconsistencies.

YMMV. :)

Top Bottom