What's new

Brush for Hard Soap: Paladin, Brad Sears, Simpson, Morris & Forndran?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac is also a maker that should not be forgotten here. Their two-band silvertip blows all the mentioned makes out f the water.

Shavemac 2 band Unique. Here is mine in a Colonia No.1 handle 26mm. I've been 3017'ing MWF and this brush is fantastic to use with The Fat.
8w7Lvzm.jpg

Thank you all for your insight. Just ordered an Omega 81052! Will probably also order / try a Shavemac. Thinking a configuration of Bulb in 24/48. As for the hair I am trying to decide between Silver Tip 2 Band and Silver Tip D01

Shavemac is also a maker that should not be forgotten here. Their two-band silvertip blows all the mentioned makes out f the water.

I own both Paladin and Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip brushes, and I could never say that Shavemac 2BST blows Paladin out of the water. In fact, while I love them both, gun to head, I’d pick the Paladin over the Shavemac.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you all for your insight. Just ordered an Omega 81052! Will probably also order / try a Shavemac. Thinking a configuration of Bulb in 24/48. As for the hair I am trying to decide between Silver Tip 2 Band and Silver Tip D01
The D01 is the stiffest, most back-boned brush there is. I always say it is not for the faint hearted, unless you love a good scrub. The hair is thicker than other two-band, and the brush is stuffed with hair (D=dense). Personally, I would recommend the two band silvertip, and the 24/48 in bulb is perfect.

The D01 is the stiffest, most back-boned brush there is. I always say it is not for the faint hearted, unless you love a good scrub. The hair is thicker than other two-band, and the brush is stuffed with hair (D=dense). Personally, I would recommend the two band silvertip, and the 24/48 in bulb is perfect.

Thank you my friend! I have been double thinking the D01. If I go with a shorter loft in the two-band (48) I assume it will have a decent backbone

I own both Paladin and Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip brushes, and I could never say that Shavemac 2BST blows Paladin out of the water. In fact, while I love them both, gun to head, I’d pick the Paladin over the Shavemac.

Is there an option to custom order the Paladin? Very few choices on their website kind of pushed me to Shavemac

I have both and for your first upgrade, I would go with the Shavemac 2 band silvertip over the D01. The D01 is a beast and a huge leap from a traditional silvertip. If you want a custom handle, member Rudy Vey (who chimed in on this thread), makes beautiful handles for the Shavemac knots. I have several of his handles with Shavemac knots and they cannot be beat. You can find his work in many of brush threads on this forum.

btw, nice avatar!

Is there an option to custom order the Paladin? Very few choices on their website kind of pushed me to Shavemac

19 handle styles, 32 colors/materials, 4 knot sizes. You just need to catch their drops.

By the way, there are two Shavemac 2-bands on the BST right now for well below retail. A bulb and a fan.

I have both and for your first upgrade, I would go with the Shavemac 2 band silvertip over the D01. The D01 is a beast and a huge leap from a traditional silvertip. If you want a custom handle, member Rudy Vey (who chimed in on this thread), makes beautiful handles for the Shavemac knots. I have several of his handles with Shavemac knots and they cannot be beat. You can find his work in many of brush threads on this forum.

btw, nice avatar!
Thank you!

The loft is set at 52mm. The knot is Unique 2 band Silvertip.

The Unique knot was developed a few years ago. It is very similar to the 2 Band Silvertip, but more dense. Some say it's in between the 2 Band Silvertip and the D01 Silvertip. I've never tried a D01 as I've read it has tons of backbone and scrubby tips. I prefer soft tips.

I do own a 2 Band Silvertip and can say the Unique knot is more dense.

Here is a side by side picture. Both of these will have more backbone than your Parker. To order a Unique knot or any brush not seen on his Shavemac website, contact Bernd through the contact link. He is very responsive.

20200114_064850.jpg

20200114_064834.jpg

The loft is set at 52mm. The knot is Unique 2 band Silvertip.

The Unique knot was developed a few years ago. It is very similar to the 2 Band Silvertip, but more dense. Some say it's in between the 2 Band Silvertip and the D01 Silvertip. I've never tried a D01 as I've read it has tons of backbone and scrubby tips. I prefer soft tips.

I do own a 2 Band Silvertip and can say the Unique knot is more dense.

Here is a side by side picture. Both of these will have more backbone than your Parker. To order a Unique knot or any brush not seen on his Shavemac website, contact Bernd through the contact link. He is very responsive.

Thank you...and beautiful brushes. The Unique looks perfect for my needs. I will give a shout out to Bernd

View attachment 1052553
View attachment 1052552

I stated Omega boar and will stick with that recommendation. From your list I would go with Paladin any day of the week. Its hands down the best brush in all departments IMO. The attention to detail is through the roof and it shows.

To be honest Ive never met a hard soap (from MWF to Williams) that didn't soften up a bit to blooming the puck with hot water while I took a shower. After its soaked for a bit and the puck gets a soft top to it, ANY brush will perform amazing.

Larry

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
To be honest Ive never met a hard soap (from MWF to Williams) that didn't soften up a bit to blooming the puck with hot water while I took a shower. After its soaked for a bit and the puck gets a soft top to it, ANY brush will perform amazing.

+1, exactly. Some brushes want to be used more gently than others, but 10+ minutes covered with hot water will tame any hard soap I've ever tried.

Top Bottom