What's new

Brush for Hard Soap: Paladin, Brad Sears, Simpson, Morris & Forndran?

All,

Looking for an upgrade to my Parker SilverTip Badger. While the Parker is excelling for bowl creams, it takes a lot of work with soaps. I am currently using Mitchel's Wool Fat Shaving Soap. My method is bowl lathering...

With a budget of around $200, what brushes would you suggest for the soap? A bit of a firm backbone I assume would be desired.

Initially I was looking at the Simpson Chubby Series, but upon research a lot of people state they shed hairs quite a bit. Now I am looking into: Paladin, Brad Sears and entry level Morris & Forndran. If there is another brand you recommend, certainly share

I am still in the education stage of quality brushes, so any guidance would be appreciated!

Have you already figure out how do you want your brush set and the fiber?
That could be more important than the brand's name.

I vote too for an Omega boar :thumbup:

Have you already figure out how do you want your brush set and the fiber?
That could be more important than the brand's name.

I vote too for an Omega boar :thumbup:

That's what I am beginning to sort out...understand what type / fiber should I consider. Seems like Boar will have the stronger backbone I will need. It will also compliment my Badger Silver Tip.

If you are shying away from a Chubby solely because of potential shedding, I wouldn’t let that be your main concern. They are dense enough that you won’t notice if it sheds even a decent amount.

The best I’ve used with MWF are a Jagger synth and a couple of Shavemac two band silver tips. With my Simpsons, hard soaps lead to a lot of lost hairs.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Simpson make fine brushes, I have a Chubby 1 and a Duke 3, both in Manchurian, and they are superb for my preferred face lathering with hard soaps. I have only ever had shedding issues with Simpson best grade again with hard soap. As you bowl lather I recommend a longer handle such as a Simpson 58, Tulip, or an M7 which would be my preference if I bowl lathered. Simpson are currently selling the M7 in Super at £150 and Best at £135. They also have the Rover Manchurian in Butterscotch for £175, and a Chubby 1 Manchurian at £199 which is within your budget. Good luck.

Any good brush will lather any hard soap, croap, or cream. So just pick the brush you like best.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Couldn’t agree more. In that price range I’d lean toward Paladin, but you could also buy a handle and get a Mozingo ZT2 knot.

Any good brush will lather any hard soap, croap, or cream. So just pick the brush you like best.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Couldn’t agree more. In that price range I’d lean toward Paladin, but you could also buy a handle and get a Mozingo ZT2 knot.
Agreeing with these gents. If you like the Parker, perhaps look at your loading technique, maybe some blooming is in order to help it feel less like work? Otherwise just about any reputable brush vendor will do, from cheap synth to top luxury badger; pick something that catches your eye.

Agreeing with these gents. If you like the Parker, perhaps look at your loading technique, maybe some blooming is in order to help it feel less like work? Otherwise just about any reputable brush vendor will do, from cheap synth to top luxury badger; pick something that catches your eye.
And on that note, think about what you like and don’t like about your Parker. Do you want a bulb, fan, or hybrid shaped knot? What kinds of handles do you like? Will a chubby style handle feel comfortable if you have smaller hands? Do you like scrub and/or backbone, or do you favor softness above all else? Much to consider, but every brand in that price range will set you up more than nicely.

Before you drop $200 on a new thing, do you (or did you) have hard water? I just fixed the performance of a Savile Row 3824 (silvertip) on Mitchell's by giving it a good vinegar cleaning.

I had used the Savile Row in some very hard water for a while, and then couldn't figure out why it was underperforming my other (cheaper) brushes. See if you can refresh the brush you've got.

Good doesn't have to be expensive! Get an Omega boar brush and spend the other 185 dollars of your budget on other cool stuff!

I have been thoroughly enjoying my Yaqi 2 Band Moka Express. Works good with triple milled soaps (I've used Tabac with it). Unless you have a problem with Chinese products I would go for a Yaqi.

Top Bottom