What's new

Brush failure--can I fix it?

I was gently drying my brush on a towel after rinsing it out when the plastic holding the know in the handle broke. I'm not sure when I bought the brush, but I tink it's only about 9 months old. Is it possible to use something like gorilla glue to re-glue it once the brush is totally dry or do I need to do something more than that to fix it?

Thanks.

I've attached some pictures, if that helps.

Dave:

Although I am far from an expert, those who restore brushes often recommend Marine Epoxy. From what I have read Gorilla Glue gets hot and expands as it sets up and can ruin your knot hairs and sometimes the brush handle.

Marine Epoxy can be found at many hardware stores and is easy to use. Search for the how-to thread on brush restoration and it has great pictures showing you step-by-step how to complete this task. Unfortunately I do not know how to link that thread into my response.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Don

yep, a couple of dabs of marine epoxy should do the trick. I just did my first restore using it, just a thin layer on the bottom of the knot and in on the bottom of the handle was all I needed. I just used a few toothpicks to apply it. I've see q-tips recommended too (with the tips cut off). I didn't do the sides because I was afraid it would spill out. Stuff works like a charm.

I think I'd contact where you purchased it or the manufacturer. To my untrained eye it looks like a Semogue and my guess they stand behind their product.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Do I need to remove or file down the plastic that's remained in the handle or jsut clean it off?

Remove all loose material, and any material that sticks out enough to cause you trouble in putting the knot back in easily.

I think I'd contact where you purchased it or the manufacturer. To my untrained eye it looks like a Semogue and my guess they stand behind their product.

I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion. After 9 months or so, I assume there's no warranty.

Hello!
It is a Semogue 830, right? The same thing happened to mine, after 2 months of use.
Well, I just sent the brush to the vendor and it was sent to Semogue.
And Semogue immediately assumed the failure and replaced the brush with a new one.

I described the case, praising both the vendor and Semogue, on a thread on the Portuguese wet-shaving forum barbearclassico.com. It's in Portuguese, but you can look at the photos and get the idea.

Is it suggested or necessary to dry a brush out on a towel?
i seem to recall another thread where the middle of the brush was decimated by drying on a towel, probably a different motion as I think about it...

Hello!
It is a Semogue 830, right? The same thing happened to mine, after 2 months of use.
Well, I just sent the brush to the vendor and it was sent to Semogue.
And Semogue immediately assumed the failure and replaced the brush with a new one.

I described the case, praising both the vendor and Semogue, on a thread on the Portuguese wet-shaving forum barbearclassico.com. It's in Portuguese, but you can look at the photos and get the idea.

It is an 830, and your pictures look just like my brush.

I sent an e-mail to the vendor last night. From my prior dealings with him, I assume I'll get a response some time today.

As I anticipated, I heard from Bruno at Vintage Scent yesterday. I'm shipping the brush back to him for repair.

Besides being reminded of what a gentleman Bruno is, the fact that this brush will be out of my rotation for a while helps me explain to SWMBO why I need more brushes than the three I currently have.

Is it suggested or necessary to dry a brush out on a towel?
i seem to recall another thread where the middle of the brush was decimated by drying on a towel, probably a different motion as I think about it...

Man, you'd have to spend a LONG time beating up your brush to wear it out like that! I give my brush a few back-and-forth flicks on a towel, and it's none the worse for it.

Top Bottom