What's new

Brush Drying

I performed an experiment a few weeks ago to address this issue using three of my boar brushes. I used a Semogue Owners Club, Semogue 1305, and an Omega 10049 as test subjects.

I weighed each brush using a digital scale prior to beginning the experiment. After my normal shave routine, I thoroughly rinsed the brush and placed the brush bristles down in a stand. I weighed each brush after 24, 48, and 72 hours. In each case, the brushes returned to their original dry weight (within tolerances of the scale) in 72 hours so I saw no reason to continue.

These results are specific to my home environment. The brush was placed on a counter with sufficient air flow. There were no open windows or direct sunlight. The air conditioner thermostat was set to 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

I hope this helps.
What make/model brush stand are you using? I just got a Omega 10049 and its too big for every stand I have! Thanks in advance!

@echotron
I believe it is the Universal Shaving Brush Stand sold by Italian Barber. I bought it along with the RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic.

The opening in the stand isn't wide enough to accept the handle of the Omega 10049, so I just hang the brush from where the handle meets the knot.

Every brush you buy has a built in stand

Here is where I keep my brushes after use, I store them bristle up and have had no issues

0167CA7E-C0AD-407A-8491-9330B5A9A7DF.jpeg

I have a collection of brushes made of badger, boar and synthetic. I squeeze and run my fingers through the brush while under the faucet; and then squeeze water out multiple times. I do this until the hairs feel rougher. I also shake the brush many times until I get only tiny drops coming out. In the end, my brushes dry in 1 day, a day and a half tops. If it's still wet, it's got to be in the very center of the brush. I feel confident using one of my brushes many days in a row.

Different knots dry at different rates depending upon type of hair, density etc. Synthetic dries quickest, then Badger and Boar takes the longest to dry. It certainly makes sense to get as much of the water out. I shake mine several times, sort of whipping them in the air. I then strope them on a towel and then hang it upside down. But even with all that, it would be very difficult for the very base of the knot to be completely dry. Which is why I have a rotation of 9 brushes. 3 each of badger, boar and synthetic. I try not to use the same brush twice in a row.

Different knots dry at different rates depending upon type of hair, density etc. Synthetic dries quickest, then Badger and Boar takes the longest to dry. It certainly makes sense to get as much of the water out. I shake mine several times, sort of whipping them in the air. I then strope them on a towel and then hang it upside down. But even with all that, it would be very difficult for the very base of the knot to be completely dry. Which is why I have a rotation of 9 brushes. 3 each of badger, boar and synthetic. I try not to use the same brush twice in a row.
I do the same thing with the drying and the rotation, except I only have 3 badgers and 1 synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve definitely noticed my 24mm synth is completely dry by next morning, using the squeeze, flick, and towel strop method. Boars take 2 days to allow the knot base to fully dry.

How do the fixed four do it? Ended up jumping out of FFFMM because I was worried about ruining my favorite boar brush from daily shaves. (And I very disliked my soap) Any concerns with wetting the same brush every day?

after i use any of my brushes, all badger, i rinse the soap out, give it a few hard shakes and paint it on a towel lightly and set it outside the bathroom. its fully dry in 2 to 3 hours. i always have a open window in my room with a fan taking air out 24/7.

I take my 24in cashmere sync and fling it like I mean it. Place it upright in my medicine cabinet and can run toilet paper though it an hour later with zero signs of moisture. Heck, it's a 7 dollar knot on a nice custom handle. If it craps out tomorrow I'm not exactly breaking the bank to get a replacement knot.

After use I rinse the brush (badger, boar or synth) with water and shake it out like everyone does.
Then strop on a towel a couple of times then dry with a hairdryer on warm for about 20 seconds spreading the bristles with my fingers.
It's almost dry at this point but I leave it standing up on the vanity the rest of the day and put it back in the cabinet after work dry.
The synthetic brushes are pretty much dry after the hair dryer but leave it out for the day anyway.
I have never had bristles fall out on any of my brushes over the years or brushes damaged doing this - it really only takes a couple of minutes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have designed and will soon market a brush drying machine. The kinks are currently being addressed by a team of mechanical engineers. I'm in negotiations with a large manufacturing plant in Germany to produce my invention.

Amazon has advised me that the selling price, to be competitive, should be in the $1200 - $1800 range.

Oh, boy, I'm going to get rich.

not a joke.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am lucky in that with a two and a half pass straight razor shave I don't have to shave every day. I can easily get two days out of that shave and can stretch it to three with an electric razor touch up on day three. So my Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush is always dry by either day. Nevertheless I rotate it with a synthetic (tuxedo knot) which I hate.

Top Bottom