What's new

Brush Drying

I’m finding my brushes take a full day to a day and a half to dry. All the ends are dry by the end of the day, but the knot base retains moisture. Is this normal?

Haven’t been able to find any info on this so I’ll throw it up to the committee.

I do rinse out all soap, and give the knot a gentle squeeze followed by a few easy shakes. No dripping after that. I store knot upside down on handle in open area. I have stored on a shelf sideways with bristles hanging off ledge with exact same results. Might get a stand someday, but doesn’t sound like it’s a necessity.

After drying, I love running my hand over the clumped bristles to restore to fullness.

Happy to hear your input. Thanks!

I give my brush a little squeeze in a towel after rinsing it off post shave. I also hang it by its handle in a shaving stand. Mine typically dries in 24 hours. Mine are: pure badger, boar, best badger, Silvertip badger and synthetic. I rotate my brushes and don't use the same one two days in a row. However, I don't feel that is necessary. I'm just a bit finicky about my brushes.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

You are right that it doesn't matter if you hang the brush upside down or set it on its end.

A popular solution is to have a brush rotation and have two or three brushes so that each is able to fully dry.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

You are right that it doesn't matter if you hang the brush upside down or set it on its end.

A popular solution is to have a brush rotation and have two or three brushes so that each is able to fully dry.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yes. You need multiple brushes. This will solve your problems. [emoji41]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I think it depends on the type of brush and the amount of air flowing through your bathroom. With windows closed, and in colder temperatures, mine take 1.5-2 days to dry, but with the window open they can dry in a day.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Not only has the brush density an influence, but also the surrounding environment....drier bathrooms help to dry the brush out faster. Just remember, never put a wet/moist brush away into an enclosure, may it be a cabinet or storage tube.

Another vote for a brush rotation!! The drying issue is a great argument for ordering another brush.(Unfortunately, at some point LOTH will ask if it really takes a month for those brushes to dry!)

Sorted they get time to dry

20191004_153301.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At home I just use one cheap boar brush. Some days it's dried out from the shave before, and some days it hasn't. I don't worry about it. After all, I'm subjecting it to soap and water when I shave anyway. If/when it falls apart, I'll buy another.

Some might say I need more brushes, but I'd really rather not. I don't do "rotations", which I do find to be a rather curious bevaviour. I'm not the sort of chap who needs systems for simple activities, excuses for buying things that aren't needed, or who gets uncomfortable using just one thing for any length of time. If I did have more brushes, I'd just end up using whichever one I liked best every day.

At home I just use one cheap boar brush. Some days it's dried out from the shave before, and some days it hasn't. I don't worry about it. After all, I'm subjecting it to soap and water when I shave anyway. If/when it falls apart, I'll buy another.

Some might say I need more brushes, but I'd really rather not. I don't do "rotations", which I do find to be a rather curious bevaviour. I'm not the sort of chap who needs systems for simple activities, excuses for buying things that aren't needed, or who gets uncomfortable using just one thing for any length of time. If I did have more brushes, I'd just end up using whichever one I liked best every day.

Unlikely to be an issue with boars since they are not as dense as badgers. When soap scum makes them shed you just buy another cheap one. Badgers cost more and shaving with mold spores blasting fur isn't good for you.

I don't have a regular rotation and use the same brush daily; flick off excess water and a couple of swipes in a towel and then left to air dry in a stand. Every few months a different brush is put into use and I have not noted a deterioration in the brushes. For the last 7 years it has been badger brushes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Unlikely to be an issue with boars since they are not as dense as badgers. When soap scum makes them shed you just buy another cheap one. Badgers cost more and shaving with mold spores blasting fur isn't good for you.

Periodically shampooing the boar with Vosene seems to keep most issues at bay. Never owned a badger brush.

etc.

I performed an experiment a few weeks ago to address this issue using three of my boar brushes. I used a Semogue Owners Club, Semogue 1305, and an Omega 10049 as test subjects.

I weighed each brush using a digital scale prior to beginning the experiment. After my normal shave routine, I thoroughly rinsed the brush and placed the brush bristles down in a stand. I weighed each brush after 24, 48, and 72 hours. In each case, the brushes returned to their original dry weight (within tolerances of the scale) in 72 hours so I saw no reason to continue.

These results are specific to my home environment. The brush was placed on a counter with sufficient air flow. There were no open windows or direct sunlight. The air conditioner thermostat was set to 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

I hope this helps.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got two boars that I don't rinse, just let dry in the bowl with the bristles bent, full of used soap. One has been used like that since the day I started my thread "shaving like grampa used to shave" and the other for about a week or two. Both seem fine. The first is a Marvy that was shedding when I started my experiment. The other is an Edwin Jagger. My face is as lovely looking as it ever was.

Top Bottom