What's new

Brush drying- up or down?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times here, but how do you guys typically dry your brushes- standing on end or hung upside-down on a stand? Is there any known benefit to either method?

I don't seem to notice any real difference aside from maybe it dries quicker when hung on a stand.

Never noticed a difference. To really speed things up, doing a good job of squeezing out the brush, then drying the tips on a towel gets it started quickly.

I have 4 brushes. 3 of them I dry hanging. The 4th I dry standing up...only because it doesn't fit any of my stands.

I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

When at home, I take the one I've just used, shake it 30-40 times and then put it on a stand until the next morning when I repeat with the next in the rotation. When traveling (for up to 2 weeks), I forgo the stand and set the brush on it's base after shaking. Neither method has failed to dry the brush and neither has caused a buildup of product at the base or any kind of mold or other growth due to excessive moisture.

Cheers,

Rick

No I didn't but it seems more logical to me that it would dry faster upside down.

no malintent in my post, but why does that seem more logical? it's not like the brushes actually drips (or do they)? my logic imagines that the water "dries upward" and therefore the hanging impedes drying. i have no idea of this is true.. but i can tell you that brushs "sitting" on their handles get dust on the knots and not on the handle..

no malintent in my post, but why does that seem more logical? it's not like the brushes actually drips (or do they)? my logic imagines that the water "dries upward" and therefore the hanging impedes drying. i have no idea of this is true.. but i can tell you that brushs "sitting" on their handles get dust on the knots and not on the handle..

Because, you know how when you "hang" things like clothes to dry they dry faster? That's my logic, think about it...the moisture would more or less fall out faster than if it was sitting on end. Gravity, pretty simple.

Why does that not make sense?

From Shaving101-

"Many men simply place their wet shaving brush back
on their shelf immediately after their shave; however, I prefer to hang my wet
brush on a stand to dry throughout the day. This gives me confidence that
no water is pooled in the handle and the inner core of the knot can be
completely dry. In addition, gravity helps the bristles dry straight instead of
the bowed shape caused by the weight of remaining water in the badger hair."

Last edited:
Doesn't matter.

One of the members actually did a fairly scientific study, by measuring the weight of the brushes over 96 hours after being soaked.
Hanging or standing did not make a difference.

Because, you know how when you "hang" things like clothes to dry they dry faster? That's my logic, think about it...the moisture would more or less fall out faster than if it was sitting on end. Gravity, pretty simple.

From Shaving101-

i don't agree with shaving101.. it's a pretty site, but i'd like to see some side by side pics of knots from brushes hung vs brushes not hung and this "bowed" shape. i have one knot that hangs because it came with a handsome stand and it really looks no different when i hang it or otherwise.

i understand there is likely no appreciable difference, but for sake of good discussion.. i would think hanging a shirt wouldn't make a great analogy since you could hang it up or down or sideways.. in addition to gravity, other forces are at play like surface tension, cohesion and adhesion (in capillary action) that could make water go up instead of down..

i wonder how the experiment that was described went.. i vaguely remember that thread..

regardless, i don't think i'll be buying stands anytime soon... but some of those stands that integrate a holder for brushes, razors, and soaps are very nice.

From Shaving101-

If it makes you feel more comfortable hanging your brushes than by all means please do so.

i understand there is likely no appreciable difference, but for sake of good discussion.. i would think hanging a shirt wouldn't make a great analogy since you could hang it up or down or sideways.. in addition to gravity, other forces are at play like surface tension, cohesion and adhesion (in capillary action) that could make water go up instead of down..

Fascinating, but I think you're putting too much thought into it.

Consensus seems to be it doesn't matter. Let's just leave it at that.

i would think hanging a shirt wouldn't make a great analogy since you could hang it up or down or sideways.. in addition to gravity, other forces are at play like surface tension, cohesion and adhesion (in capillary action) that could make water go up instead of down..

Agreed.
The alternative to "hanging" a shirt would be lying on a surface, which reduces the amount of air circulation and of course increases drying time.

The brush has the same exposure to air whether it is hanging or sitting.
The only thing that is going to make a difference is how thoroughly the brush is "dewatered" before storage.
If the brush is put away while still literally dripping wet, then yes, hanging is going to result in better drying... but we don't do that. We give it a few gentle shakes, and even roll it in a towel. The only water remaining in the brush is held there by the bristles and will not "drip" out.

Top Bottom