What's new

Brush density and soap used

Hi All,
I have a question on brush density. I have a Simpson Commodore 3 (the newer kind- made by vulfix?), best badger. It seems to me that I end up needing more soap or creme when I use this brush, compared to a TOBS ( a vulfix made one I think) or synthetic brush I use. The physical difference I notice is the Simpson seems packed far more densly than the TOBS. It seems that Simpson holds less water and I end up needing more soap or creme and water (have been using the same soaps and cremes with both brushes), for my second and third passes.

Is is the norm for a denser brush? It seems odd to me or possibly my imagination, but I feel, for sure that I am using more soap and cream with the Simpson. I am happy with it, though it feels heavier than the TOBS or synthetic brush I have.

I don't know about the Commodore, but the Chubby 2 2-band I have requires (retains) more soap or cream. I alternate with a Rooney 3/2 in super and I can tell a difference. I like them both, but I am starting to really appreciate the bulb shape of the Chubby, but I prefer the handle length of the Rooney when used in the scuttle.

Is is the norm for a denser brush?

I would say most definitely. The more densely packed hair in the knot tends to hog the lather and by loading more product you will be able to produce enough lather to fill the brush and your shaving needs. The addition of extra soap/cream will also require additional water.
Don't forget to allow your brush to splay on your face otherwise you will leave too much of that lovely lather in the knot......

I would say most definitely. The more densely packed hair in the knot tends to hog the lather and by loading more product you will be able to produce enough lather to fill the brush and your shaving needs. The addition of extra soap/cream will also require additional water.
Don't forget to allow your brush to splay on your face otherwise you will leave too much of that lovely lather in the knot......

+1. An alternative is to try a face lather with a shave stick and the dense brush. Your beard sort of collects the soap needed for a good lather, and the brush will work it up directly on your face. A Palmolive stick is awesome for this.

If you think the Simpson is a lather hog, try the Shavemac D01.

In all seriousness, all brushes are different. Density, quality of hair, knot size, etc will contribute to how much lather that thing will eat up. My advice: regardless of brush used, just make enough lather for several passes and don't worry about it. it's better to have more than end up with less in the middle of the shave. Soaps and cremes last for a very long time, so using a little more ain't going to break the bank, imo...

Enjoy the brush :thumbup:

+1 to all said above. I enjoy a dense packed knot more than any other type of Brush. Using the dense knots it still took 3 months to finish a Puck of SCS shave soap.. Use a little more product and enjoy the ride !!!!!!

Thank you. I was I suppose suprised bt it. I guess a lot of post make sense when folks talk about knot size, density etc. Soap/creams are indeed cheap, and priceless when one gets a great shave. Thanks for all who replied.

Top Bottom