What's new

Brush Conundrum

Hello,

I've been a short time lurker and am in the process of purchasing my first brush. I want a good brush but not top of line. Believing in the law of diminishing returns, I don't want to spend that extra $100+ for the slight improvement. So with that said, I'd like to spend around $100 for the brush. I don't mind spending more, but I would like to keep the max at $150. The two brushes I've looked at are Shavemac Silvertip L and Rooney Super Silvertip Style 1 Medium. I'm not sure if I see the necessity of the XXL brushes. Maybe it's just I have limited knowledge of why a larger brush is better. In any case, what would you guys recommend?

In case it matters for your recommendations, I shave every night and have incredibly tough whiskers. I also have very durable skin on my face, however my neck is a total push over. I could dry shave my face with no shaving cream and not get a single nick. On my neck however, if the wind blows across it in the wrong direction I'll have razor burn.

Hi there, Rook (?)

Before the Simpson Sycophants (tm) come out, perhaps you can give us some more info on what you are looking for in a brush. In your price range, my personal preference would be for a mid-size knot (~24mm) Savile Row Silvertip from QED. These are very densely packed, soft, luxurious brushes with decent backbone. If you want something a bit scrubbier, there are other options.

Scotto said:
Hi there, Rook (?)

Before the Simpson Sycophants (tm) come out, perhaps you can give us some more info on what you are looking for in a brush. In your price range, my personal preference would be for a mid-size knot (~24mm) Savile Row Silvertip from QED. These are very densely packed, soft, luxurious brushes with decent backbone. If you want something a bit scrubbier, there are other options.

Scotto,

I'm not really 100% on what I would want in a brush. I know I'd prefer something more densley packed. Also I would think I would prefer a soft brush to a semi-harsh brush, unless the harsh brush will help clean up my neck sensitivity. I looked at the brush on QED (I believe it was the SR-204) and it was only $60. I know in most situations you get what you pay for, so that's my only reason for being semi-suspicious of the true quality of that brush compared something almost twice the price. It might fall apart easy, or the hair might not be as nice. Of course I have absolutely no basis of that other than price, so I am probably completly wrong. Just in most cases you do get what you pay for up to a point.

Goosemeplease said:
Hello and welcome, I don't see your name ? :biggrin:

Hello, did I miss something? Am I undergoing some type of initiation? The forum name is "rook takes" since I enjoy chess very much. You can call me Mark if you'd like.

rooktakes said:
Hello,

I've been a short time lurker and am in the process of purchasing my first brush. I want a good brush but not top of line. Believing in the law of diminishing returns, I don't want to spend that extra $100+ for the slight improvement. So with that said, I'd like to spend around $100 for the brush. I don't mind spending more, but I would like to keep the max at $150. The two brushes I've looked at are Shavemac Silvertip L and Rooney Super Silvertip Style 1 Medium. I'm not sure if I see the necessity of the XXL brushes. Maybe it's just I have limited knowledge of why a larger brush is better. In any case, what would you guys recommend?

In case it matters for your recommendations, I shave every night and have incredibly tough whiskers. I also have very durable skin on my face, however my neck is a total push over. I could dry shave my face with no shaving cream and not get a single nick. On my neck however, if the wind blows across it in the wrong direction I'll have razor burn.

This is the brush I have. Unfortunately, its the only brush I have, and so I have no comparison to the Rooney, Shavemack, or other popular luxury brushes. What I can tell you, however, is that this C&E Super is a very trustworthy and in my opinion quite luxurious.

TraderJoe said:
This is the brush I have. Unfortunately, its the only brush I have, and so I have no comparison to the Rooney, Shavemack, or other popular luxury brushes. What I can tell you, however, is that this C&E Super is a very trustworthy and in my opinion quite luxurious.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have to stop by the local store and check that one out. I wonder how that brush compares to the two I've been looking at.

rooktakes said:
Hello, did I miss something? Am I undergoing some type of initiation? The forum name is "rook takes" since I enjoy chess very much. You can call me Mark if you'd like.

It is helpful to create a signature (go to user CP). Real names are easier to type, user names can be a mouthfull, or rather a keyboard full, to type.

Also, add yourself to the B&B Google map. And create atleast somewhat of a profile(location please). :001_smile

Welcome, I would have to agree with Scotto, both SR and Shavemac silvertips provide alot of brush for the money. I could easily live with just one brush from either company.:001_rolle But I have to admit that the SBAD has hit me pretty hard.:eek:
Cheers, DJ.

Scotto said:
Before the Simpson Sycophants (tm) come out. . .

Here I am!

And I'm here to shock Scotto, by saying that I'd recommend you look hard at that Savile Row for the price range you've stipulated. My SR101 is a brush of beauty, and performs remarkably well--I love it!

[Of course, its not a Simpsons. . .:tongue: ]

Scotto said:
Hi there, Rook (?)

Scotto's just jealous because we threw him out of the club :tongue: ! Seriously though, I prefer the Simpson line of brushes. I would recommend the Chubby 1 in best if you prefer a softer brush or super if you want a more "scrubby" type of brush. Unfortunately, I find the Savile Row's to be a bit too soft for me and everyone seems to say that the Rooney's are incredibly soft. If you want dense and stiff, I'd say go with a Simpson. If you want dense and soft either a Rooney or Savile Row will do you fine.

mrob said:
Here I am!

And I'm here to shock Scotto, by saying that I'd recommend you look hard at that Savile Row for the price range you've stipulated. My SR101 is a brush of beauty, and performs remarkably well--I love it!

[Of course, its not a Simpsons. . .:tongue: ]

You guys are throwing me for a loop. A $32 brush is recommended over two $100 brushes?

rschul2 said:
Scotto's just jealous because we threw him out of the club :tongue: ! Seriously though, I prefer the Simpson line of brushes. I would recommend the Chubby 1 in best if you prefer a softer brush or super if you want a more "scrubby" type of brush. Unfortunately, I find the Savile Row's to be a bit too soft for me and everyone seems to say that the Rooney's are incredibly soft. If you want dense and stiff, I'd say go with a Simpson. If you want dense and soft either a Rooney or Savile Row will do you fine.

So if I want dense and soft you think I should go with the Rooney or SR over the Shavemac?

Hi Mark! I have the Rooney and the Shavemac and both work great the shavemac is softer and a few bucks more money, either would give you a great experience BTW shavemac will overpack a brush for you for dense and oh-so soft!

Welcome to Th B&B :biggrin:

Welcome Mark!

I knew you were a chessplayer when I saw the name- I play also (1703 USCF).

The purpose of the name is just to be friendly- on this site, we tend to get to know each other extremely well. Plus, we consider ourselves to be gentlemen and gentleladies(Mama Sue, Saint Sue, and JoAnna), so of course its only natural that one of us would ask for your name. No offense meant- its just like shaking hands b4 a tournament game and analyzing after.

And yes, the $35 C & E brush is a great deal for its cost.

BTW- Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated!

Marty

Goosemeplease said:
Hi Mark! I have the Rooney and the Shavemac and both work great the shavemac is softer and a few bucks more money, either would give you a great experience BTW shavemac will overpack a brush for you for dense and oh-so soft!

Welcome to Th B&B :biggrin:

That's great news! Thank you so much for the information. How was your experience with ordering your shavemac? I've ordered from classicshaving before and I've never had problems, but I've never ordered anything from shavemac.

htownmmm said:
Welcome Mark!

I knew you were a chessplayer when I saw the name- I play also (1703 USCF).

The purpose of the name is just to be friendly- on this site, we tend to get to know each other extremely well. Plus, we consider ourselves to be gentlemen and gentleladies(Mama Sue, Saint Sue, and JoAnna), so of course its only natural that one of us would ask for your name. No offense meant- its just like shaking hands b4 a tournament game and analyzing after.

And yes, the $35 C & E brush is a great deal for its cost.

BTW- Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated!

Marty

Marty,

Thank you for the information on the forums. We should play chess sometime. I'd love a good match. What type of chess do you prefer? Lately I have been prefering fast, short games (5/0 controls)

Mark,

I play 5/0, 10/0,20/0 OTB; then on chessworld.net, 1 move/day,1/5days,1/10 days. Currently planning on playing in the Atlantic Open in D.C. 2 the end of the month(26-28th). so right now, just speed to focus on tactics.

Marty

Rook,

I'll toss out another opinion. For some time, I've always recommended the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush for $35 bucks. For a couple of reasons. First, it's an inexpensive brush that you will enjoy using, and eventually could turn into a travel brush if you didn't keep it in rotation. But also, for the price, it's a great "learning" brush. From this brush you can learn if you want a denser brush, softer brush, taller brush, bigger knot, whatever, yet still have a great little brush. From there you can do your research to find what will be your next brush.

Randy

Top Bottom