What's new

Brush Conundrum

Couldn't resist... :tongue:

I think the decision is yours and your alone. They are both fine, fine brushes. If one vendor is giving you the delay on the Simpson, you may try to contact others (Ems, Gentleman's Shop, Lee) to see if they have any in stock if you really don't want to wait. Otherwise, order the Shavemac if you must have the new brush ASAP. Curiosity will likely drive you mad either way and by 4 months time from now you will have ordered the other one anyway. :)

Dennis

Call Lee. . .he'll tell you to meet him behind the pizza shop on 2nd & Elm. Wait 6 minutes--not 5, not 7--6 minutes exactly. Then walk due south on Elm for 3 blocks--you'll see a '65 Ford Mustang parked on blocks. Reach under the left rear wheel well and you'll feel a package. Take it home--don't open it. . .whatever you do, don't open it, for 3 days. Then a man will come to your place of work, and tell you to "snap the monkey." When he does, give him the package you took from the Mustang, and he'll tell you where you can find the Simpsons brush you are looking for.

Say nothing of this to anyone. . .anyone.:001_rolle

mrob said:
Call Lee. . .he'll tell you to meet him behind the pizza shop on 2nd & Elm. Wait 6 minutes--not 5, not 7--6 minutes exactly. Then walk due south on Elm for 3 blocks--you'll see a '65 Ford Mustang parked on blocks. Reach under the left rear wheel well and you'll feel a package. Take it home--don't open it. . .whatever you do, don't open it, for 3 days. Then a man will come to your place of work, and tell you to "snap the monkey." When he does, give him the package you took from the Mustang, and he'll tell you where you can find the Simpsons brush you are looking for.

Say nothing of this to anyone. . .anyone.:001_rolle

Your post made me laugh. I have emailed Lee and that's where the 4 week wait came from.

So I did some research and found that Simpson drastically reduced their prices while Shavemac has increased them. I'm sure most of you knew that bad I'm new to this so that is "new news" to me. In any case, I was thinking of reasons as to why the increase/drop.

For the decrease of the Simpsons, I can see it possible that they decided to go for more market share by lowering their profit margins. I would view that as someone like Ferrari lowering their prices and people really wanting to buy one because of the high class car for a good price. As long as the quality stays the same for the lower price, it's a great buy. However on the other hand it's highly possible Simpson realized their brush did not meet the quality of other brushes in the price level and decided to drop out.

For the increase in Shavemac they could have realized that their product was head and shoulders above all that was in its price range, therefore increasing price. Even at a higher price range their product would still do well due to its high quality. However it's also possible that they could have attempted to raise the price of an ok brush and see if they would still have the same type of sales. It would be an attempt to play on consumer belief that price reflects quality. They would also gain the advantage of a cheap brush with high profit margins. Also they would have the advantage that most consumers buying more expensive products don't want to admit the product isn't worth the price. So they could sell a cheaper brush for more money with fewer complaints.

All my thoughts and I still can't make a decision as to which brush to get.

rooktakes said:
So I did some research and found that Simpson drastically reduced their prices while Shavemac has increased them. I'm sure most of you knew that bad I'm new to this so that is "new news" to me. In any case, I was thinking of reasons as to why the increase/drop.

For the decrease of the Simpsons, I can see it possible that they decided to go for more market share by lowering their profit margins. I would view that as someone like Ferrari lowering their prices and people really wanting to buy one because of the high class car for a good price. As long as the quality stays the same for the lower price, it's a great buy. However on the other hand it's highly possible Simpson realized their brush did not meet the quality of other brushes in the price level and decided to drop out.

For the increase in Shavemac they could have realized that their product was head and shoulders above all that was in its price range, therefore increasing price. Even at a higher price range their product would still do well due to its high quality. However it's also possible that they could have attempted to raise the price of an ok brush and see if they would still have the same type of sales. It would be an attempt to play on consumer belief that price reflects quality. They would also gain the advantage of a cheap brush with high profit margins. Also they would have the advantage that most consumers buying more expensive products don't want to admit the product isn't worth the price. So they could sell a cheaper brush for more money with fewer complaints.

All my thoughts and I still can't make a decision as to which brush to get.
Please tell me about this drastic decrease. Simpsons website has been all but nonexistant for months so there was no price there. Are you talking about the dealers not toeing the line on Simpsons recommended prices? Or EnchanteOnLine selling out there stock for almost the same price as others had been selling theres all along?
In the US, for the longest time, three Simpsons e-tailing outlets appeared to regulate the price for most gents. Now a drastic price cut from Simpsons? Please advise where we can find this good news.:confused1
Thanks!

guenron said:
Please tell me about this drastic decrease. Simpsons website has been all but nonexistant for months so there was no price there. Are you talking about the dealers not toeing the line on Simpsons recommended prices? Or EnchanteOnLine selling out there stock for almost the same price as others had been selling theres all along?
In the US, for the longest time, three Simpsons e-tailing outlets appeared to regulate the price for most gents. Now a drastic price cut from Simpsons? Please advise where we can find this good news.:confused1
Thanks!

It appears that the decrease was months ago. Remember, I'm a total beginner to brushes so I was just trying to dig up any/all information I could find about these brushes so I could make the best decision for myself. For all I know there could have been no real decrease from Simpson themselves, but from the online retailers, or it could have come from Simpson.

Enjoy whatever brush you decide to buy. Remember that PRICE is only one component of the purchase, and not really a very meaningful one unless you have a fixed budget. I would recommend that you really look for VALUE, because long after the Great PRICE is history, the issues determining VALUE remain.

I decided on the Shavemac. I ordered it today. Once I get it I will give everyone an update as to how I like it. Thank you all for you help.

mrob said:
Here I am!

And I'm here to shock Scotto, by saying that I'd recommend you look hard at that Savile Row for the price range you've stipulated. My SR101 is a brush of beauty, and performs remarkably well--I love it!

[Of course, its not a Simpsons. . .:tongue: ]
:lol:

rooktakes said:
I knew that was coming. Once I buy two, I'll buy two hundred. If I get the Simpson, I'll use the four week wait period as an excuse to buy another razor and creams.
I highly recommend the PJ2. It is by far my favorite brush and the only one that I have an emergency backup for. :smile: Kidding aside it is extremely well made, whips up copious amounts of lather from both soap and cream, an excellent size and easy to clean. I highly recommend Lee's Razors. Believe me it's well worth the wait!

Simpsons Sycophant #2

guenron said:
Remember that PRICE is only one component of the purchase, and not really a very meaningful one unless you have a fixed budget. I would recommend that you really look for VALUE, because long after the Great PRICE is history, the issues determining VALUE remain.

Sage advice for any significant purchase.

Well I received my brush and stand/bowl today from Shavemac. I must say it was quite the experience shaving tonight. Now I can finally understand the full obsession with needing a good brush. Making lather was a piece of cake with the brush. My only problem was I thought the bowl coming with the set was going to be larger, so when I tried making lather it was foaming out of the bowl all over my hand. The bowl I guess is useless for me unless I want to use soaps, but I don't know if I ever will. Or do you guys think that I could put cream in the bowl and leave it out (as in take it out of the tube and put it in the bowl to sit at all times)? Anyway, enough of the tiny bowl.

With my first shave done with the brush, I must say I was incredibly impressed. Shaving with the lather is immensely better than using the stuff out of the can. Yes yes, I had been using the garbage you get at the store for $2/can. I will never use that stuff again. At this point I don't have any brush/razor obsession. I own the Merkur Vision which I highly enjoy, so I don't really foresee any new razor purchases for a long time. Eventually I will probably look at trying another brush out of curiosity, even though the Shavemac has far exceeded any expectations I had of a brush. I think I'm going to become obsessed with creams/aftershaves. In fact I think my next line of business is going to be sending Scotto a PM for a kit. In any case, thank you all so much for all of your very helpful information/recommendations. I owe you guys one.

rooktakes said:
Or do you guys think that I could put cream in the bowl and leave it out (as in take it out of the tube and put it in the bowl to sit at all times)?

I think I'm going to become obsessed with creams/aftershaves.

Leave the cream in the tube other wise it will dry out and become pretty much unusable.

As for developing a cream and aftershave obsession, well, of course you will. And there are worse things to be obsessed with.

rooktakes said:
Well I received my brush and stand/bowl today from Shavemac. I must say it was quite the experience shaving tonight. Now I can finally understand the full obsession with needing a good brush. Making lather was a piece of cake with the brush. My only problem was I thought the bowl coming with the set was going to be larger, so when I tried making lather it was foaming out of the bowl all over my hand. The bowl I guess is useless for me unless I want to use soaps, but I don't know if I ever will. Or do you guys think that I could put cream in the bowl and leave it out (as in take it out of the tube and put it in the bowl to sit at all times)? Anyway, enough of the tiny bowl.

With my first shave done with the brush, I must say I was incredibly impressed. Shaving with the lather is immensely better than using the stuff out of the can. Yes yes, I had been using the garbage you get at the store for $2/can. I will never use that stuff again. At this point I don't have any brush/razor obsession. I own the Merkur Vision which I highly enjoy, so I don't really foresee any new razor purchases for a long time. Eventually I will probably look at trying another brush out of curiosity, even though the Shavemac has far exceeded any expectations I had of a brush. I think I'm going to become obsessed with creams/aftershaves. In fact I think my next line of business is going to be sending Scotto a PM for a kit. In any case, thank you all so much for all of your very helpful information/recommendations. I owe you guys one.

Glad things are working out for you...

so I don't really foresee any new razor purchases for a long time. Eventually I will probably look at trying another brush out of curiosity,

Glad to hear things have come together for you-

Can you post a pic of the new rig?

Jim,

I've added pictures. You can see how tiny the bowl is. I have no idea how to make lather with soaps. Anyone have any good links for that? I figure it can't be to hard, but I'm not sure what the bowl would be used for. Say I wet the brush and spin it on the soap, then move the brush to a lather bowl, then I have wet soap sitting in the bowl all day, which doesn't seem right.

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom