What's new

Brush Conundrum

joel said:
Email Lee at leesrazors.com and tell him you are from this forum and he'll set ya up. He guarantees the lowest prices and will beat any posted price.

Thank you. Another small question: Do Simpson brushes have other choices for the handle other than the faux ivory looking one with "Simpson Sterilized" written on it? Sterilized just isn't a very appealing word to have on a nice item.

rooktakes said:
Thank you. Another small question: Do Simpson brushes have other choices for the handle other than the faux ivory looking one with "Simpson Sterilized" written on it? Sterilized just isn't a very appealing word to have on a nice item.

that will wear off with use

Scotto said:
Mark,

You have received lots of advice, as is usual here. One word of clarification. The SR-208 SR brush you referred to is a very nice brush indeed (I have one), but the SR silvertips are another beast entirely - much more densely packed, a bit firmer, and super luxurious. You can find info here (search for Savile Row Silvertip, especially with Guenron's name), or by navigating the muddy waters of Charles' website (or better yet, calling him).

Scott,

Thank you so much for the link! None of those brushes are available on the QED website so I wasn't sure where people where finding them. Am I correct to assume that I must email QED to order the SR 3124? Now it looks like three brushes are in consideration. Thank you.

TraderJoe said:
that will wear off with use

Is it just a sticker or is it printed on? I'd rather not waste time trying to rub off something printed on the brush. I know if I choose the Simpson, the first thing I will do is spend whatever time it takes to remove the wording. It will bother me to use the brush with something undesirable on it.

I have a small Simpson Rover (similar to the Milk Churn model) in best

View attachment 1305

I think this is a great brush and is far superior to my floppy Vulfix in pure.

Em's Place has the PJ2 in best for $115 and super for $156.

http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/simpsons_shaving_brushes.aspx

I also have a SR100 travel brush that I think is very good.

Based on my very limited experience, my next purchase is going to be one of the smaller 20 - 23 mm SRs in either super or silver - based on comments from others and my own experience with the SR100, the SR's are hard to beat when price/value is factored into the analysis.

Had I bought a SR in pure or super as my first "good" brush, I likely wouldn't have multiple brushes (for some reason I don't suffer from BAD).

That being said, you really can't go wrong with any of the brushes that people have recommended to you - its really up to what you want to spend.

Have fun deciding.

rooktakes said:
Is it just a sticker or is it printed on? I'd rather not waste time trying to rub off something printed on the brush. I know if I choose the Simpson, the first thing I will do is spend whatever time it takes to remove the wording. It will bother me to use the brush with something undesirable on it.

:lol: If you'd like, have it shipped directly to me. I'll use it, and once it is worn off, I'll then send it to you :lol:

rooktakes said:

It's a decal (the "sterilized" label) and will detach itself with one or two contacts with water........unless you carefully apply clear nail polish to seal it. If you're not careful applying the nail polish the print on the decal will smear and really look like hell.

rooktakes said:
Scott,

Thank you so much for the link! None of those brushes are available on the QED website so I wasn't sure where people where finding them. Am I correct to assume that I must email QED to order the SR 3124? Now it looks like three brushes are in consideration. Thank you.
Just e-mail Charles, you'll find him amazingly responsive, and you will get lots of options among the SRs. You won't be disappointed. In fact, I am considering buying my 5th SR brush - they are that good.

Scotto - can you briefly describe the differences in the various grades of SR brushes?

I'd be interested in hearing how the different grades stack up against one another in terms of feel, lather-making, etc.

My inclination is to go for a super, but was wondering if the silvertip was worth the extra coin.

I have only owned supers and silvertips from SR, so I can't comment on the others. First of all, in terms of lather making ability, they are both great; the difference is really in feel. The supers are very nice, soft brushes, which are a bit on the floppy side. The SR-208 is the emblematic brush in this series, IMO, and is one of the best values out there. The silvertips are packed MUCH more densely than the supers, and have a lightbulb shape compared to the flatter-top supers. I personally like this shape a lot. The silvertips are also more luxurious in terms of softness, and have more resilience than the supers. They aren't scrubby like a Simpsons, but feel awesome on the face. They also have that "face-sucking" quality that I love as you work the lather into your beard. It is hard to describe, but the feel of the silvertips is unmatched in my opinion. I get an endorphin rush when I use them they feel so darn nice.

The SR brushes or on his site but you have to go under the see more items link and you will see on the top of the new page where he talks about additional SR brushes. YOu can click a link that says "see photo here" and you can see the brushes. The way his site is set up I can't post a link to it.

pitbulls20 said:
The SR brushes or on his site but you have to go under the see more items link and you will see on the top of the new page where he talks about additional SR brushes. YOu can click a link that says "see photo here" and you can see the brushes. The way his site is set up I can't post a link to it.

I see it now. Thanks for the info. I would have never found that on my own.

What Charles website lacks he more than makes up for with his service. Give him a call or drop him an email and he will discuss your options and set you up.

You have alot of great options from the brushes recommended before. Here is my .02...people have different favorite brushes depending on what they want out of them. Since you haven't used a brush you don't really know what would make the ultimate brush for you. If you were to purchase a C&E Best Badger...$35...it would be an inexpensive start. Then you can start to figure out what you want out of a brush and narrow down your choices on spending $150. With a pill tube or a plastic tube from Em's place you can use your C&E for travel anyway...so works out well.

Rooktakes,
I have a Shavemac and a Rooney. I really like the Shavemac. I prefer the Rooney, though. Of course, the Rooney is in Finest and I don't know what the Super is like. I really like the handle of the Rooney as well.

rooktakes said:
I see it now. Thanks for the info. I would have never found that on my own.
Here on our very own Badger and Blade Website is an almost authoritative thread on the Savile Row Silver Tips to include pictures and prices. It includes information on brushes with 18mm to 32mm knots to include 5 different handle styles. There are a couple of 32XX handled brushes in knot sizes larger than 26mm that are not identified there. It is probably best to call Charles to learn of the availability of these specific brushes. It has been reliably rumored that there may well be an ebon color option for some brushes.

khari said:
Rooktakes,
I have a Shavemac and a Rooney. I really like the Shavemac. I prefer the Rooney, though. Of course, the Rooney is in Finest and I don't know what the Super is like. I really like the handle of the Rooney as well.

Your Finest is double the price of the Shavemac. I bet it's a very nice brush, but a little out of my price range. Is your Shavemac a silver tip?

Well I've narrowed it down to two. The Shavemac Silver Tip L and the Simpson PJ2. If I go with the Simpson I'll have to wait 4 weeks. What would you guys do?

rooktakes said:
Well I've narrowed it down to two. The Shavemac Silver Tip L and the Simpson PJ2. If I go with the Simpson I'll have to wait 4 weeks. What would you guys do?

Buy both. :biggrin:

Mike02 said:
Buy both. :biggrin:

I knew that was coming. Once I buy two, I'll buy two hundred. If I get the Simpson, I'll use the four week wait period as an excuse to buy another razor and creams.

Top Bottom