What's new

Brush Conundrum

rooktakes said:
That's great news! Thank you so much for the information. How was your experience with ordering your shavemac? I've ordered from classicshaving before and I've never had problems, but I've never ordered anything from shavemac.

Its no problem at all- Mr. Blos is a great person to work with and dozens of the men on the board have ordered tons of brushes from him, very fast turnaround, 3 day shipping for 20.00 bucks also. check out the website,

http://www.shavemac.com/

You can go with a custom handle and have your name engraved if you like also. matching razor -the sky is the limit!:w00t:

Honestly..... I am not ga-ga over Rooney or current shavemacs. Both are decent... but you don't need to spend that much on a great shaving brush.

Go with a Muhle, Edwin Jagger, Savile Row (especially the SR-208) etc.

Honestly.... a simpson is really the tops in my book (whatever that may mean to you) as I feel it is the best built/performing shaving brush.... but for the $ - you cannot beat the aformentioned brushes, and if you spend sub $100 - you'll get a better brush from the aformentioned brands than you will get from Simpson (at sub $100) in my honest opinon.

rtaylor61 said:
Rook,

I'll toss out another opinion. For some time, I've always recommended the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush for $35 bucks. For a couple of reasons. First, it's an inexpensive brush that you will enjoy using, and eventually could turn into a travel brush if you didn't keep it in rotation. But also, for the price, it's a great "learning" brush. From this brush you can learn if you want a denser brush, softer brush, taller brush, bigger knot, whatever, yet still have a great little brush. From there you can do your research to find what will be your next brush.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the advice. It's great advice, however I have slight OCD so if I open that door of having multiple brushes and let myself get a little picky, I'll have 400 brushes by the end of the year. I'm already struggling to not buy 3 more razors all at once.

joel said:
Honestly..... I am not ga-ga over Rooney or current shavemacs. Both are decent... but you don't need to spend that much on a great shaving brush.

Go with a Muhle, Edwin Jagger, Savile Row (especially the SR-208) etc.

Honestly.... a simpson is really the tops in my book (whatever that may mean to you) as I feel it is the best built/performing shaving brush.... but for the $ - you cannot beat the aformentioned brushes, and if you spend sub $100 - you'll get a better brush from the aformentioned brands than you will get from Simpson (at sub $100) in my honest opinon.

Joel,

Would you recommend a Simpson in the $100-$150 range? If so, which one? Also if it's tops in your book it is pretty darn good to me as I'm a complete beginner to brushes.

rooktakes said:
Joel,

Would you recommend a Simpson in the $100-$150 range? If so, which one? Also if it's tops in your book it is pretty darn good to me as I'm a complete beginner to brushes.

Yes..... the ultimate brush in my book is a Simpson PJ2 in super. EVERY single person who I have recommended one to has agreed..... it is the best brush (Overall) $ can buy.

joel said:
Yes..... the ultimate brush in my book is a Simpson PJ2 in super. EVERY single person who I have recommended one to has agreed..... it is the best brush (Overall) $ can buy.

Where can I find it for $150 or under?

Goosemeplease said:
Its no problem at all- Mr. Blos is a great person to work with and dozens of the men on the board have ordered tons of brushes from him, very fast turnaround, 3 day shipping for 20.00 bucks also. check out the website,

http://www.shavemac.com/

You can go with a custom handle and have your name engraved if you like also. matching razor -the sky is the limit!:w00t:

Thank's again for the great information. It looks like between the Rooney and the Shavemac, the Shavemac is going to win. At least that has been narrowed down a little bit. Now I have to add the Simpson Joel is recommending into the equation. Now it's a Shavemac Silvertip L or a Simpson PJ2. How come you guys couldn't make it easy for me. :smile:

rooktakes said:
Since I do not know where you ar elocated, I do not know if you are subject to the UK's vat, but you can find it here for about $109 in Best or $153 in Super plus shipping if you are not subject to the vat.

rooktakes said:
Thank's again for the great information. It looks like between the Rooney and the Shavemac, the Shavemac is going to win. At least that has been narrowed down a little bit. Now I have to add the Simpson Joel is recommending into the equation. Now it's a Shavemac Silvertip L or a Simpson PJ2. How come you guys couldn't make it easy for me. :smile:

The easy thing would be to get them all!:biggrin:

guenron said:
Since I do not know where you ar elocated, I do not know if you are subject to the UK's vat, but you can find it here for about $109 in Best or $153 in Super plus shipping if you are not subject to the vat.

I'm in Chicago, so I don't know about the VAT. Even without that VAT it's about $190 shipped.

Goosemeplease said:
The easy thing would be to get them all!:biggrin:

Thanks for the temptation. :smile: Didn't you see that I'm already struggling with not buying multiple razors at once. If I try and do that with brushes I'll have to mortgage the house in no time.

rooktakes said:
Thanks for the temptation. :smile: Didn't you see that I'm already struggling with not buying multiple razors at once. If I try and do that with brushes I'll have to mortgage the house in no time.

But you be well groomed for the closing!:001_rolle

I would also recommend Crabtree & Evelyn's (C&E) $35 "Best Badger Brush" made by Edwin Jagger. The brush has some firmness to it and a small amount of "scritch" so it will get lather around tough beard growth, yet it is also soft. I never get irritations from using it, and I use mine every day.

I realize that at $35 it is much less than your $100 range. It is a good brush, will be more than sufficient for your needs, and will last many years.

Enjoy,
Chris

rooktakes said:
I'm in Chicago, so I don't know about the VAT. Even without that VAT it's about $190 shipped.
Unless the exchange rate change suddenly, shipping is £7.50 p;us £83.40 for the brush or £90.90. Astonishingly enough the exchange rate is $1.90 to the pound :yikes:
So figure it at $1.93 (gotta take care of the money changers) and it is $175.. Too far from $150., but closer than $190.

rooktakes said:

Email Lee at leesrazors.com and tell him you are from this forum and he'll set ya up. He guarantees the lowest prices and will beat any posted price.

Mark,

You have received lots of advice, as is usual here. One word of clarification. The SR-208 SR brush you referred to is a very nice brush indeed (I have one), but the SR silvertips are another beast entirely - much more densely packed, a bit firmer, and super luxurious. You can find info here (search for Savile Row Silvertip, especially with Guenron's name), or by navigating the muddy waters of Charles' website (or better yet, calling him).

joel said:

I also have the PJ2 in Super and Joel is right, this is one of Simpson's best brushes. I have a Rooney and it is fairly floppy compared to the PJ2.

rooktakes said:
So if I want dense and soft you think I should go with the Rooney or SR over the Shavemac?
Yup, but as Joel stated, I think the best brush available is a Simpson. You'll really be happy with a PJ2 in Super. As Joel recommended, call Lee at leesrazors.com He'll take care of you.

Top Bottom