What's new

Brush Chronicles #8: H.L. Thäter 4125/1

Mine is engraved with a white paint in the letters of the engraving. The black brush must be paint, I can't see thater using a sticker on the bottom of their brushes.

I actually like the contrast of black and white. Damn, I just told myself this was my last brush for ahile!

Last edited:
Thater needs to quit messing around with the logos ... it is getting progressively worse :lol:

I too quite like the black handle with the high contrast white.

Been using a Thater 4125/1 two band I snagged off the BST a couple weeks back and have BARELY touched the other brushes in my rotation since (SR 3824, M&F 24/48, Kent BLK8, Semogue 830).

This has been the brush I've been looking for the past 6 months - not too much backbone, super soft tips, solid flow-through, zero scritch and comfortable handle. Not to mention, this thing hasn't shed a hair. I'm absolutely loving this brush; it has seemed to not only calm my BAD, but also makes me want to sell off a couple of the others.

Terrible cell pics, but you get the idea:

$image.jpg

Just arrived today. New logo again.

I recieved a Thater 4125/2 2-band today and the logo is different! It's a polished steel plate attached to the bottom of the handle. It's kinda like a coin. It seems like it is drop forged or something.

Just arrived today. New logo again.

I recieved a Thater 4125/2 2-band today and the logo is different! It's a polished steel plate attached to the bottom of the handle. It's kinda like a coin. It seems like it is drop forged or something.

Now that looks pretty slick.

I had a PM from a member asking about the shape of the knot. This is a 4125/2 2-band bulb with the "coin logo" on the bottom purchased from royal shave this week (11/11/13). I used it for the first time this morning. Tips are very soft and there was much more backbone than I had anticipated from some of the reports I've read. I need some more time to draw a conclusion on the relationship between the backbone and the bulb shape. Too hard to judge after just one shave. I had expected more of a hybrid bulb from pictures I've seen.

In both of the following pictures you will find the following brushes left to right.

Left. Vie Long Beehave with silvertip badger hair from bullgoose. 25mm knot x 50mm loft.
Center. Vintageblades 2-band. 22mm knot x 52mm loft.
Right. Thater 4125/2 2-band bulb. 26mm knot x 55mm loft.

Note that in the profile picture you can see the coin logo under the handle.

Another note. While it doesn't have the backbone of the Thater, the VB 2-band is an incredible value. I love that brush. German turned me onto it in a review he did last year. For $34 you can't go wrong. Reviewed here 1, here 2, and here 3.

Super Pictures. I am also going to get one soon. How many grades are there in Thater ? Is the 3 band discontinued ? Looking for a softer brush than my whipped dog !

Super Pictures. I am also going to get one soon. How many grades are there in Thater ? Is the 3 band discontinued ? Looking for a softer brush than my whipped dog !
Royal Shave has 2 and 3 band available in bulb or fan

I have the 2 band bulb and it is at the top of my den along with a Rooney heritage and an M&F Chief

Received my 4125/1 3 band today from Royal Shave. I didn't measure the knot but the loft is coming in at 52mm. The handle has no logo on it, inscribed or otherwise. The bottom has a Thater sticker on it and in the box was a metal coin logo that can be adhered to the bottom if I wish. Here are some pics straight out of the box, wet after 2 palm lathers and being gently shaken out, and then after lightly stropping on a towel. Hope you enjoy!
$thater.jpg$thater2.jpg$thater3.jpg

First shave today with the new 4125/1 3 band and man was that nice. Softest brush I have now and the size was perfect. Zero irritation.

Top Bottom