What's new

Brush Chronicles #8: H.L. Thäter 4125/1

Grüß Gott änd welcome the eighth inställment of The Brush Chronicles, which will be feäturing a German gem, the H.L. Thäter 4125/1 (medium) silvertip shäving brush. Before we dive in, I would like to täke ä moment to welcome Dävid (djh) äs the newest Shäving Brush Forum Stewärd (SBFS - trädemärk pending)! Dävid änd I exchänged ä few PMs over the weekend änd we thought it would be fun to co-host this Brush Chronicle äs the new Shäving Brush Forum Stewärd Teäm (SBFST - trädemärk pending). Luckily, Dävid is equälly skilled with the shäving brush änd cämerä, so in äddition to good commentäry there will älso be good photos (no pressure, Dävid) of this beäutiful brush. I will do my best to provide märginälly äveräge photos änd umläuts :tongue_sm

For the next two weeks we will be discussing the H.L. Thäter 4125/1 (medium). Again, this is a discussion, so don't be shy about asking questions or posting your thoughts and/or experiences. I would also like to invite discussion pertaining to any H.L. Thäter model.

I was only able to locate one B&B review for a Thäter. If you know of other reviews, let me know. If you are interested in acquiring an H.L. Thäter brush I recommend using your favorite search engine to locate a vendor. Or check out B&B's Vendor Corner. H.L. Thäter official website.

The H.L. Thäter 4125/1 silvertip a high end shaving brush and is priced accordingly. I paid about $150 (USD) for my Thäter, which may or may not fall outside of your comfort level. Regardless, it was money well spent because the brush is built like tank and fit for king. I have seen little to no variation in knot shape based on all of the online photos I have seen; to me, this is an important attribute of any high end product. The tips of this brush are impossibly soft - absolutely zero scritch. If you have sensitive skin I would consider this brush. One could face lather for a good five minutes without worrying about a raw face (note: I consider face lathering for five full minutes a LONG time). This brush probably doesn't meet the requirements for someone looking to murder a puck of soap (i.e., it isn't going to win the backbone competiton), but it effectively lathers hard soaps and soft creams effortlessly. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT floppy in least just not as rigid as a sub-50mm lofted brush. To me, backbone is a matter of personal preference, not a measure of effectiveness. Due to the extremely bulbous shape the 24mm (mine measured 25mm) knot feels smaller on the face. I am a fan of more fan shaped knots (pun definitely intended), but this bulb is really fun to use (again another matter of personal preference, not a measure of effectiveness). The eight faceted handle provides a very sturdy and comfortable grip. Personally, I love how the handle works, but it isn't my favorite looking shape. Also, the lettering is starting to wear off. At this price point, I would prefer to see engraving.

I thought the 50's era screaming pink towel provided a nice contrast :001_smile
proxy.php

Obligatory birds-eye shot
proxy.php

Let's kick things off right with a guaranteed performer.
proxy.php

Thäter after ~30 seconds under running tap and then shaken. With any soap I prefer to start with a drier brush and then add dribbles of water the surface of the soap puck whilst loading. If find this method create less mess (i.e., flying proto lather)
proxy.php

~15 seconds worth of loading. Look, the brush is saying, "I need more water."
proxy.php

~45 seconds of loading. I added several, probably five, dribbles of water while loading.
proxy.php

Lather! I won't wax nostalgic about how awesome the lather because for me MWF is always good and provides great results. I am a two pass shaver and there are more than two passes left in this brush, so I had to wash some down the drain. I wept.
proxy.php

Rinsed!
proxy.php

I tried to capture the following two shots near a window for better lighting.
With cheesy little flash.
proxy.php

Without cheesy little flash.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Very nice! I have the little brother 49125/0 22mm in black/acrylic. I agree with the knots being consistent in shape and they seem very symmetric - Simpson take note, it is possible! As for the loft size, on my model I've seen reports from 48mm to 52mm. The official spec seems to imply about 53mm loft (95mm total height and I measure my handle at 42.2mm). Mine measures 48mm loft and I'm very happy about it as I prefer shorter lofts. I also prefer smaller knot sizes, about 20mm but because of the extreme bulb shape and short loft, this 22mm feels just right on my face. At the spec 53mm loft it would have probably bloomed too big for my liking.

I agree with Jeremy, I am more of a fan of hybrid blub/fan brushes, perhaps biased towards fan, but if there's a bulb shape for me to own, I think this is the one!

Everything else he said is true, very soft tips, no problems with either creams or soaps, excellent backbone. If you're looking for the ultimate softness and luxury, go for the 24mm knot size if it's not too big for you. I fondled a friend's 4125/1 24mm and it must be the softest brush I ever held in my hands.

A bit off-topic now... It seems that in order to be a steward you need a three letter username that contains letters j and h. Time to ask for a username change :w00t:

proxy.php

I've been weary of bulb knots since I had a Simpson T2 super 2-band. I like a face full of badger rather than a point. I'm enjoying my bulby M&F though. Can you fan fans discuss if it feels pointy? If anybody has a Rooney Heritage, can you discuss how it compares?

Vlad, I'm with you. I was weary of bulb shapes, in particular pointy ones. But this one feels very nice on the face, it's very soft and it takes just a bit of pressure to make it splay a bit. I find the Thäter as soft as the Rooney 1XL or the Shavemac D01 3-band. However, it's not as dense which to me is a good thing, I don't necessarily think that very dense brushes are better. Now, don't think that the Thäter is not dense, because it is, it's just not overly dense.

I know you like big brushes, so look at the 24mm or higher, the 22mm is probably not for you. The post bloom shape of the 24mm I saw was very very nice, no pointy shape at all. And it felt incredibly soft at the tips, but yet it had very good backbone.

This thread is giving me a very intense case of SBAD. They look fantastic and I enjoy the bulb shape of my M&F blonde. I'm hoping that the 4125/1 has a little bit softer tips though.

Others, please talk me over the edge for picking one of these up when my next paycheck comes around. :)

Danke schön lieber Jeremy! Thanks for the warm welcome to the Forum and also for the invitation to help out in this 8th Edition of the Brush Chronicles. I recently acquired my Thäter (which is a size smaller than Jeremy's and is model 4125/0) on a trip to München. It is indeed a wonderfully crafted brush and a very different style to most of my others, but a very effective shaving tool nonetheless.

Sadly, I couldn't find a 1960s towel in any screaming colour, so I made do with a 1960s German hotel bathroom for this shot :001_rolle

proxy.php

As Jeremy has pointed out, these brushes have silky soft tips and while the individual hairs are very soft the combination of a true bulb-shaped knot and this wonderfully fine hair provides good performance on even the hardest soaps.
During the next two weeks we will be trying to bring you as much information as possible on these fantastic brushes and your input by way of photos, questions and comments is very much encouraged.

My Thäter having one of her first meals

proxy.php

Almost pretty enough to shave with!

proxy.php

I hope that you all enjoy this Edition of the Brush Chronicles as it unfolds and I look forward to adding more to this thread as we go along. Your input will help us to provide the information that our membership is seeking.

I've been weary of bulb knots since I had a Simpson T2 super 2-band. I like a face full of badger rather than a point. I'm enjoying my bulby M&F though. Can you fan fans discuss if it feels pointy? If anybody has a Rooney Heritage, can you discuss how it compares?

Not an issue with the Thäter. I had Simpson 2-band brush that had that pointy feel - it had to go :glare: The Thäter feels like a big fluffy octopus masseuse (or masseur, if you prefer). I know I said the 24mm bulb head feels smaller on your face, but now I feel like I need to quantify. To me this "normal" 24mm bulb feels like 22mm fan. I say "normal" because you can get a brush that too densely packed (gasp, really!?!?!) for the hair, a loft that is too short (gasp, really!?!?!) for the hair, or a combination of both - at which point you can end up with a bulb shaped knot that now feels like a 10mm knot (exaggeration) because there is no give to the hair when you swirl. That said, I hold bulb shaped at a slight angle (rather that straight up and down, which I do with fan shaped knots) to get a full coverage load on the brush (see below), so I probably tend to work the "outer perimeter" of the bulb shape on my face as well.

Notice in this shot I don't have soap over the entire surface of the bulb head
proxy.php

This is better, notice the full coverage. This is partially due to holding the brush at a slight angle to work the entire head and partially due to the soap and water doing their thing.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I have the Same brush-- in 26-mm ( bought from " Fendrihan" ) : after ~` 1 / 2- year of moderate use-- Not even 1 hair shadded ! I, personaly-- like that brush a Lot !

I like this chronicle - good discussion of the fan vs bulb issues, and the umlauts are great. Just one thing is missing: how to pronounce Thäter?

My German is rusty, but I would say something like "thay-ter". Close?

I like this chronicle - good discussion of the fan vs bulb issues, and the umlauts are great. Just one thing is missing: how to pronounce Thäter?

My German is rusty, but I would say something like "thay-ter". Close?

Close...but you don't pronounce the H (it's actually "Tay-ter").

I purchased my thater chubby 2 in ivory from thedifferentscent.de in germany a while ago...I love this bulb shape,it contours perfectly with the concave sides of almost all shave bowls....the white tips are like cotton candy,but amazingly,the backbone is wonderful...this is my best,and most loved brush...the quality will match any other brush,regardless of price..and for my brush as well,it has never lost a hair...

I was just browsing their site and they have quite a selection and they are beautiful.

I am assuming that "Pinselkopf" means knot size and I think that "Gesamthöhe" means total height.
And it looks like the highest quality starts at the top with 4125, then works down from there, with maybe the 49125 having the same hair as the 4125, only a different handle.
I sure like the wooden handles one but it is 28mm max.

It looks like they have 2 lines that go beyond 28mm, the 4125 and 49125.

30mm 4125/4
30mm 49125/4

32mm 4125/5
32mm 49125/5

thanks

Attachments

• $4125-5.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,781
Last edited:
I just ordered a 4292 last night in Brúyere with a 24 mm knot.
Just got confirmation that DHL is in charge now - it can only go too slow :lol:

proxy.php

(I've restricted myself to the maximum purchase of one brush per month,
so I better make it count then :tongue_sm)

i've got an 4125/1 and a 4292/4. both are fantastic brushes. The loft of the 4292/4 is a bit higher than the 4125. Also the hair feels a bit different. As my 4125/1 has no scritch at all my 4292/4 has some light scritch which i like.

I hadn't really given much consideration to the soaps I was going to use for this Chronicle, but for the second day in a row I picked a no brainer - Yardley! Special thanks to our very own shaving brush forum moderator, Bob (beginish), for giving me (yes, giving) me this puck of soap. To be honest, I am not really sure what the hell he was thinking, but my old man always said never look a gift horse in mouth. I didn't.

Good load here. Again, I started with a damp brush on the dry end of the spectrum. I added a few dribbles of water to the surface of the puck every 15 swirls or so.
proxy.php

:ohmy: I have no clue what I did to this picture!?!?!? No matter, the point of this photo is the open breech. As I am building lather I like to add dribbles of water the open breech. A small amount of downward pressure will make the knot splay. If face lathering the chin is the perfect place to make this happen. I like adding water into the knot because it really helps to hydrate the lather from the inside out. Probably a placebo effect, but it works for me.
proxy.php

Now we are getting somewhere! I have actually come to quite like hand lathering as it allows for really good lather control (without a bowl). Once I am done lathering I use the lather on my hand to rub over my wet face as a bit of pre-shave. Also, as I am rubbing the lather on my face with my hands it provides another opportunity to evaluate the lather for slickness and breakdown. If you rub the lather on your face with your palms using a bit of vigor it should not break down.
proxy.php

Bam :w00t: Daddy likes. The shave this morning was regal - the velvety Yardley lather and the über soft tips of the Thäter is a pretty hard combination to beat.
proxy.php

Two of my favorite German products. Speick was a nice finish to this shave.
proxy.php

And finally, I leave you with this - enjoy.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzC6R4f6qLw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I like adding water into the knot because it really helps to hydrate the lather from the inside out.

I think this is what I've been doing wrong, hydrating from the outside in. :tongue_sm But seriously, that's lovely looking lather. I'm picturing the softy softness of that Thater. :drool: I hate this forum.

[Edit] You know what, I've also been missing umlauts. Uber lather just isn't the same without them.

Top Bottom