What's new

Brush Chronicles #15 : The Semogue Owners Club Boar

Decided to face lather an Arko stick today.

Lather looked good for first pass:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402593913.687197.jpg

And looked like a good amount in the brush too:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402593932.153365.jpg

But the dog had to go out mid shave again and the lather seemed to dry out for the second pass. Ended up loading some more with a fist bowl and hand lather for second and third passes.

I also felt some scritch working the lather today. The SOC tips haven't split nearly as much as I hoped.

Today I tried the SOC on the unknown tallow puck. For a change I went in wet and Marco Method-y.
$uploadfromtaptalk1402601172024.jpg
Alas, my phone decided the pic it took of the actual lather is now an unsupported image type, so youze just have to take my word for it that it was awesome.

The SOC continues to impress. I had left it alone for a very long time after a failed cleaning episode last year....

Last edited:
​Quick question for you guys............how would you rate the SOC to the Omega 49?

Omega 49 = taller loft, softer tips, quicker break-in, comfortable handle (but big and cheap), not very dense, splays easily and just ridiculously big.

SOC = shorter loft, much denser, huge bloom and splay, comfortable handle which is also really nice and classy, big but good all-around.

Back to the great British grooming houses today, as I decided to use TOBS Jermyn Street soap. The Jermyn Street line is the one that TOBS has developed for folks with sensitive skin. Though I haven't used it, the Jermyn Street cream is supposed to be pretty good. When the soap came out a few years ago, it was praised for its latherability compared to TOBS' other soaps. I recall looking at the ingredient list to see what was up, and noticed that it was pretty straightforward, but looked like it contained a lather stabilizer or two. No matter to me, if it works, that's just fine. The scent strikes me as one of those modern aquatic type scents, but since I don't wear frags at all, take that with a grain of salt. This soap is a hard, triple milled puck, and I've used it a few times in the past, so I know that it benefits from a good loading, which I did for 1 minute after soaking the soap and the brush during my shower. As usual, I squeezed the knot beforehand. Loaded, it looked like this:

The protolather looked a little dry, but I took the brush to my face and after a couple of minutes swirling and adding water, I was left with this in the brush:

The lather was slick, cushioning and protective. I don't find the lathers from the Jermyn Street soap to be on par with MdC, Harris or the others I consider great, but it is certainly above average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent shave today, some irritation though, probably time to change the blade.

Used Cella which requires less water than I am used to.

I started off with too much water in the brush:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402673481.555558.jpg

Ended up with lather that was too foamy:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402673522.271747.jpg

Ended up reloading for a bit and then working on the face for a very nice lather:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402673555.537830.jpg

No scritch today working the brush. It's a big brush but very useful.

Today's shave was ridiculously easy to lather. The Razorock XXX would lather up between two pieces of dead grass, never mind a luxurious SOC Boar.
First soap I came across that came close to the fabled explosion of lather.
Face lathered so easily it was almost cheating
With more than enough for the third pass.
$uploadfromtaptalk1402712067371.jpg

First time user, won't be the last.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1402712094772.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1402712094772.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
No, went back to shook out brush, pick up soap, build adding water to face.
Unlike MW, didn't need to build a proto lather first.

Didn't have my Proraso cream handy so I went with Coates. Started with probably too much product and had enough for about six passes.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402783998.132060.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402784009.314277.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402784020.047701.jpg

Wrapping up my chronicles with Pre de Provence, my 3017 soap.

Loaded up for about 15 seconds or so.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402847001.311522.jpg

No need to add water.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402847034.759794.jpg

Plenty thick.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402847054.609073.jpg

Crazy thick lather.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402847080.875629.jpg

Leftover soap after 3.5 passes.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402847113.908996.jpg

Best lather I've had with this soap.

Overall I like the brush. It's bigger than id like and easily loads 4-5 passes worth. Tips aren't super split and soft but not scratchy. Lovely handle. Great value for sure.

Another unphotographed lather, first time with Speick.
Harder than I'm used to, didn't quite use enough soap. Still, unlike many others that would make a thin watery mix, the Speick built quickly with the SOC. Not sure that I get the rave reviews about the scent, but the performance is top notch.
Really enjoying face lathering with the SOC Boar. Well broken in, barely a hint of scratchiness.

Jarick, that was some seriously excellent chronicling. Thank you, sir. :thumbup1:

Tony-I loved the lather I got from Speick, but could not stand the scent. My wife asked me if an old man was staying with us the first time I used it.

Bored so I test lathered.

VDH Luxury, not a favorite, had relegated it to an old RR Classic container. Loaded it up like it was going out of fashion and added more water than I usually do.
Ended up with a thick, creamy, stable lather, but not enough slickness. Decide once and for all that I dislike the stale soap smell and binned the little that remained.

$uploadfromtaptalk1402882609217.jpg

The SOC as usual loaded quickly and lathered proficiently and prodigiously.

Second go tonight with the unknown tan colored tallow soap.
Hand lathered withe the SOC and impressed at how quickly thick yet slick lather forms.
Apparently next step is to take an out of focus picture.
$uploadfromtaptalk1402882837908.jpg
This lather was head and shoulders above the VDH.

Since it has come to my attention that use of Sandalwood products increases one's chances of achieving world domination, I pulled out a never used tube of Coates Sandalwood cream. This is from the large cache of Coates creams that a member discovered about a year or so ago, and has been selling to wetshavers of all stripes. Coates creams are outstanding, IMO. I am, however, not a fan of sandalwood scents since I first used a tube of Trumpers Sandalwood cream several years ago. It just didn't click with me. Nevertheless, in the variety pack of Coates creams that I bought last year, I included some Sandalwood in the purchase. This morning, I squeezed a small dollop of the cream in my bowl:

Taking the damp SOC and working it in the bowl with water added as needed, that small snurdle gave a lather explosion like the one I had previously experienced with TOBS St. James cream:

The shave, as one might expect, was outstanding, as the lather was slick and protective. I must say that I'm very glad to have gotten the Sandalwood since the scent was far superior to Trumpers, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom