What's new

Brush Care Question

I recently purchased my first badger brush (C&E Best Badger) and want to make sure I get the most out of it. I did a cursory search for brush care but didn't find anything helpful. I'm wondering what I should do when I finish shaving to maintain the life of my brush. I understand that its ok to pump the brush (by this I'm supposing it means I can push downward on the brush into my lather bowl to get cream on the brush). How do I maintain the shape of the brush afterwards and is it ok to use my hands to wring the brush out when cleaning it?

Any other care tips would be great.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,
Your brush will fan out to some degree after a few uses and take it's own shape. There isn't much you can do about that. After shaving I rinse my brush and squeeze out any remaining lather. I then just rinse it out real good, give it a few flicks and hang it on the stand. Allow to air dry and you're all set for tomorrow. It's a good idea to clean your brush every once in awhile with borax or a like detergent also. Don't store it in a poorly ventilated location and it will last several years.
Cheers,
Jeff

John,

Jeff probably follows the routine of most gents. I rinse my brush in hot water, warm water and then give it a slight "wring". Then I shake it until I can't feel any water coming off of the brush. My routine varies because I then use a hair dryer (cool setting) on my brush for a full minute.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
John,

Jeff probably follows the routine of most gents. I rinse my brush in hot water, warm water and then give it a slight "wring". Then I shake it until I can't feel any water coming off of the brush. My routine varies because I then use a hair dryer (cool setting) on my brush for a full minute.

Randy
Do you go steady with the brush for very long before you give it a wring?:lol:
Randy, perhaps this is working for you and you are gentle enough with your brushes, but I would really advise against this particular practice.

rtaylor61 said:
John,

Randy

I do the same except I don't use a blowdryer. I just hang the brush upside down.

All the information given is good and can be used. Don't worry about the brush it will give you years of service.

Must you hang the brush or you can just stand it on its handle to dry?

I got the C&E one I just wash it out squeeze out the water with hand spread the hair a bit and put it on its handle. NOt sure if should buy a stand for it to hold it upside down(hair down) ?
thanks

ilyailya said:
Must you hang the brush or you can just stand it on its handle to dry?

I got the C&E one I just wash it out squeeze out the water with hand spread the hair a bit and put it on its handle. NOt sure if should buy a stand for it to hold it upside down(hair down) ?
thanks

As far as I'm aware Simpsons are the only company that state that the brush doesn't need to be dried upside down. Storing it hair down will stop mildew forming in the knot of the brush.

I'm only a newbie with the brushes but I would have thought that mildew would take several days to get going and if you are using it every day or so it would get washed out so standing it on it's end shouldn't make any difference with regular use.

Saying that, mine are hung upside down. Looks nicer!

Don't take my word as I'm no expert!

Gareth

galopede said:
I'm only a newbie with the brushes but I would have thought that mildew would take several days to get going and if you are using it every day or so it would get washed out so standing it on it's end shouldn't make any difference with regular use.

Wait 'til you have several brushes Gareth!

Don't worry about which way you store them; either is just fine. My cavalcade is stored happily on their bases. After using it, give it a good rinse to work the lather out of it, then a squeeze to get the water out. A few flicks in the sink, perhaps on a towel, and that is all you need.

Top Bottom