What's new

brush broke, now what

Too lazy to fetch the oxiclean from the laundry room, I utilized some unscented liquid castille soap. Several 12-hour soaks removed the ripe horse cheese and fart aroma. In use, the brush is slightly prickly to me, but does the job, excellent for the ~$7 spent. Here's the the brush stand using the second sink's faucet.
you could do like I had to do on brushes with longer lofts than my stand, where the brush meets the handle you put that part on the stand instead of hanging it from the handle end just hang it from the middle...
41K6OeEmpsL._SY355_.jpg
(online image)

Brilliant!
Thanks.. I have some brushes that its kind of a tight fit that way so , Also a tip , it might take a time or 2 to get the hang of it (not catching bristles) well if you will kind of hold the bristles together the first time or 2 you'll quickly get the hang of it ( no pun intended)..

Hi there! I finally completed the task this weekend. Can't believe how easy this was.. it took longer to find my dremel and drum sander. The inside cleaned up in less than 30s. ID measured 18mm.

Decided I'd like to try horse hair. Couldn't found an 18mm horsehair knot, but shaveforge had a 20mm, really inexpensive. Another 15-30s with the drum sander and the knot slipped right in. "Glued" in with lexel clear caulking.. it's what I had around the house. The new knot does not fit my brush stand, slightly too long by maybe 1/4", so I may end up trimming it a little.

For your entertainment: I was expecting the knot to smell nasty based on what has been written here and elsewhere. Nope, was fine. It retained the neutral aroma following a soak in cold water with some dish soap for a few hours, rinsed well. However, upon lathering with some old lime-scented KMF in hot water, oh my broiled fish biscuits it smelled like a stable full of horse manure. Now 6 hours later, I still catch whafts of it off my own skin. I know it'll eventually wash away, maybe a soak/rinse in oxi clean with either washing or baking soda may help speed this up.

Anyone know where the shaveforge horse knots are made? There was nothing on the box. Now I'm sort of tempted to make my own knot one day.

Thank you all for the encouragement to do this. Super easy. :)

Looks great. Now that you have learned how easy it is to put them together you are starting down a slippery slope. Soon you will be shopping for handles and knots.

Top Bottom