What's new

FS Brush Blowout-Vintage and Contemporary Simpsons and Others

Having fallen prey to all manner of acquisition disorders around here, I have decided to pare down my shave den to something manageable and usable. As such, I offer here a selection of contemporary and vintage shave brushes, mostly of the Simpson variety.

Except where noted, all are in very good condition and had no shedding issues at the time of last use. Pay no attention to the bedhead some have in the photos.

Prices are as marked. Shipping may be combined for purchase of multiple brushes.

Please PM directly with interest or questions. Thank you for looking!

Simpson Jubilee
This numbered, limited edition brush in faux briar is stuffed with Manchurian Badger with a Manx Pound coin embedded in the base of the handle. It is a dream to use, and frankly, is the finest brush I have used.

full

full

$225, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Hive

This limited edition brush is Simpson's take on the classic Beehive handle style, and is stuffed with an excellent Manchurian Badger knot.

full

$200, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson M7 Brushes

Three versions of this brush, including (from L to R) the Gary Young Limited Edition (Dark), Gary Young Limited Edition (Light) and M7 in faux ivory. All three brushes are stuffed with Silvertip (three-band Super) badger knots. For the GYLE brushes, Gary's signature is clear on the Dark variety, and less so in Light.

full

full

GYLE-Dark, $175
GYLE-Light, $150
M7, Faux Ivory, $150
For each, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Chubby 2, Best
The epitome of the Simpson line, the Chubby 2 is really stuffed with an excellent Best Badger knot.

full

$150, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Vintage Somerset Simpson X1L, Best

This is a smaller version of the classic Simpson Colonel. Dated to ~1970, the catalin handle has matured to an exquisite butterscotch color. The brush is stuffed with a soft Best Badger knot that has worked very nicely for me as is.

full

$125, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Somerset Simpson Persian Jar 2, Super

This excellent brush in the classic Persian Jar shape has an excellent 3-band Super badger knot. Please note that at the top of the handle, there is a small hairline crack that has been stable in my usage. I include a picture of that area below, though the crack itself may not be easily visible.

full

full

Simpson P8 "Phyl", Best

This great brush was a group buy from Simpson for our friends over at The Shave Nook. The brush sports a faux tortoise handle in the P8 shape, and contains an excellent Best badger knot. I find it to be very similar to the Duke 3 in terms of size, loft and density.

full

$115, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Vintage Somerset Simpson 60, Best

This little-known brush is very rare, and has not been produced for decades. Personally, I have seen just one other brush of the 60 series in my nearly 10 years here at B&B. The very soft Best badger knot has performed very well for me, and the lampblacke stamps are still barely visible.

full

Vintage Kent, Cased Boar
What is cased boar, you may ask? Well, the badger hair you see on the brush is simply a wrapper around an excellent boar knot. The catalin handle has butterscotched very nicely.

full

$35, Buyer pays shipping

Somerset Simpson Harvard 2, Best
Purchased new within the last several years, this great brush from the under-the-radar Harvard brush line is stuffed with an excellent Best badger knot.

full

$95.00, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Harvard 3, Best

The larger-sized contemporary cousin of the H2 with a great Best badger knot.

full

$100.00, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Harvard 4, Best

This next-size-up Harvard is a serious step up in knot size, with a dense, burly 24 mm knot of Best badger. Once likened by @johnniegold to Marlon Brando, it's a serious brush.

full

$125.00, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Duke 3, Best

Talk about your classics. The Duke 3 in Best badger may be the most versatile brush ever created.

full

$100.00, CONUS shipping included, will ship elsewhere with shipping costs added

Simpson Classic 1, Best

Now, a true Classic. This little brush stuffed with a dense Best badger knot has been described as something like a Chubby 0. Great for travel or everyday use.

full

$75.00, Buyer pays shipping

Somerset Simpson Eagle 2 in Pure

The Eagle is another handle style that tends to fly under the radar, as it is only available in Pure badger knots. This Somerset version bears all the hallmarks of the classic handmade style, including Lampblacke labeling and circular grooves on the base.

full

$75.00, Buyer pays shipping

Simpson Milk Churn in Best

Another classic handle style that pays homage to the dairy industry in Somerset, England. This brush sports a soft Best badger knot and feels great in hand.

full

$80.00, Buyer pays shipping

Simpson Beaufort 4 in Pure
YET ANOTHER off-the-radar handle style! The Beaufort is very similar to the Simpson Keyhole, with an extra ridge to help secure your grip. The Pure badger knot is just like it sounds, but is a pleasure to use when using painting strokes to either apply lather or face lather.

full

$45.00, Buyer pays shipping

Nice assortment of brushes. Question on the price of the C2 which is pretty close to full retail. Is there something unique about this one? Not trying to rain on this. Really want to know.

Chubby 2 has been sold.

Re: the pricing question, the brush is relatively new in the stable with only light use.

Wow, you don’t see Jubilees come up very often. I still kick myself for getting rid of mine. GLWTS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing collection. I’m curious what are you keeping for yourself?

Pretty straightforward things. The Simpson 50 series, several newer synthetics, multiple boars, B&B LE brushes. I have also kept my beloved Rooney Beehive in 2 band.

All of the brushes up for sale were not being used. Better that they go to good homes.

Am I the only one who thinks that PJ looks like 2 band super and not 3 band?

It is most certainly a 3 band.

Pretty straightforward things. The Simpson 50 series, several newer synthetics, multiple boars, B&B LE brushes. I have also kept my beloved Rooney Beehive in 2 band.

All of the brushes up for sale were not being used. Better that they go to good homes.

It is most certainly a 3 band.
Thank you, sir. I meant no offense. You have some great classic Simpsons offered.

Top Bottom