What's new

Brush Advice (Simpson 46)

Hey y’all, so I ordered a Simpson 46 Best Badger brush for Christmas to replace the AOS pure badger brush I misplaced while moving to my new place. I ordered it due to the mostly unanimous praise it seems to receive around here and its relatively low price. I was also just naturally drawn to the Simpson selection.

Well after using it roughly ten times or so, I’m already ready to move onto another brush. I HATE this thing lol. I know this is a very subjective topic, but this just isn’t doing it for me. For starters, it seems to be far too scritchy for my face-which in turn, leads me into rushing the shaving process due to how unpleasant the brush feels on my face. Another issue I have is that the brush know doesn’t seem to hold my lather/shaving cream very well which may be due to it’s small size.

Ordinarily I would assume that this is just an allergic reaction, but I’ve already had two badger brushes with no issues before so I don’t think that’s the main issue. Either way I don’t see any point in continuing with this brush as it’s make the process less pleasant...and as a natural beard grower I can’t afford to lose my motivation to shave.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to which brush I should switch to? Is this just simply a case of having skin that’s too sensitive for such a brush? If so, should I maybe go for a synthetic brush? I really need to get the next one right.

I had a Berkeley 46 Best and wasn't a fan either. My Specials are better and cheaper. I will likely order a 46 in 2 band silvertip though.

Sell it and move on if you hate it. Life is too short.

I am in the same boat with my Simpsons Classic Synthetic. Absolutely $h!tty $50 brush. I am a huge Simpson fan, but this Classic isnt 1/2 the brush my $12 Yaqi is. Simpson should be embarrassed IMO.

My 46 best is very scritchy, too.

Try an AP shave Co - SynBad (SYNthetic BADger)
The brush that finally killed my BAD. I can't imagine anybody wanting any more out of a brush.

Or a Yaqi Sagrada Familia, Mew Brown

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like the soft feel of my 46 in Best. The scritch is there, but for me it’s minimal with this brush that has little backbone. There are a variety of synthetics out there that may may provide more of what you are looking for in a brush. I don’t like hanging on to things that I don’t use or enjoy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t have a 46, I am using a Pure Badger Special for the first time. It seems a little scratchy first time around. You could try a synthetic brush, I have found that the couple that I have used to be lovely and soft and dry really quickly. Synthetics also make great travel brushes.

IIRC Simpson says 50 shaves for a brush to break in naturally. Even Super cannot compare to modern synthetics.

A Cashmere or Tuxedo knot is going to be super soft from day one, make great lather quickly, and is also cheaper. I haven't tried a Synbad but likely the same, just a bit more backbone than Cashmere, from what i hear.

I'm not experienced in Badger brush, but I can definitely vouch for synthetic brushes.

RazoRock Beehive if you prefer a bit bigger brush (28 mm knot 63 mm loft) and it has Plissoft knot.
Face lather experience is outstanding.
I have it and it's a lather machine.
Since it is densely packed, the loft is no way floppy and vfm @$15 or $18 with stand.

I have a Pereira bowl, but Beehive lures me for face lathering every time.

IMG_20210112_130805.jpg

The Berkeley is an efficient scrubby little bastard of a brush! I would not suggest this brush to a new user. When I got mine as a Xmas gift in 2019, I used it, found it way too rough, and didn’t get the hype either. I let it dry, put it away, and finally came around to fully appreciating it a full year later when I started face-lathering with shave sticks and got my technique down pat. Still, it’s a little rough when my face is weather beaten, so it’s hardly a daily driver, but the damn thing makes killer lather quickly. Put yours away for a while, you never know you might like it down the road.

For softness and abundance of lather from minimal product you cannot beat a synthetic. Beware of large glue bumps and short lofts however, those make a Berkeley feel like a down pillow! I know you’ve dropped some good coin already but I’d get another Simpsons. Colonel and Commodore X2 have way softer and less dense knots. After using a good badger it’s hard for me to use or recommend anything else. Best of luck!

I have an idea: if you are interested, I have a 26 Tuxedo flat top Yaqi Galaxy or Mysterious space whatever that I've used twice. Honestly - great performance brush but I don't need it as I have enough others to keep me busy. I can send it to you to try before spending more money on another Simpson. You can keep it, or if you decide to go another path just PIF it. PM me your address if interested.

I love mine about 2 years with it always makes copious amounts of lather. A little scritch but not offensive great daily driver.

Top Bottom