What's new

Brush Advice for Wife Gift

I am thinking of looking into a brush for my wife for Christmas. She has used mine a couple of times and likes it. I figure this is a good road to start down to potentially get her using a safety razor, but baby steps.

I am not sure of my budget, but pretty sure it would be max of $100.

As for specs: big enough for decent coverage shaving legs. Enough backbone to bowl lather. Tips should be soft, but a very slight bit of scritch is acceptable.

This is going off the brush I use daily. I don't know the exact specs as it was a PIF, but it has backbone, will splay in the bowl when pushed, is not floppy, and is soft with the slightest bit of scritch.

So what am I looking for? What size knot? What material? Should I look into a wolf whiskers or the like?

Thanks for the help. If you guys need, I can post pictures of what I use for myself.

Jeremy, there are quite a few options, but you may want to consider a large synthetic brush such as the Whipped Dog 30mm, EJ XL 25mm, Muhle 25mm as your wife could use them to actually lather on her legs, directly, so it can provide a nice massage before the shave and they are very soft. You could also get a large synthetic knot set into a taller style handle or even a TGN 2-Band Finest knot would work.
Good luck.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hey, Calhoun, a pic of your current PIF brush might help us a little with suggestions. Is that one I PIFed? I seem to remember you winning one of my Active Duty PIFs, but I could be wrong

Pretty sure it is the one I got from you capt.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

If you want any other angles let me know.

captp

Yep, I recognize it. I think it was made one of our old Hobbyists, can't remember which one. Tell you what. I'm willing to give up a long handled brush I had made by King1976 (another old Hobbyist). I rarely ever use it. It's a beautiful solid ebony barber handle. I find the knot to be a bit scritchy on my face, but I'm thinking it would feel fine on legs.
I don't have a pic of it, but can get one later when I get home. Let me know if you want it. All I ask is that if she doesn't like it, you offer it as a PIF.

For legs it seems you'd want a big ole knot to hold enough lather. Simpsons chubby3 or the Kong from Stirling. The Kong would leave you some extra dough for soaps.

A Kent BK8 would be really nice if you could swing it. I got my lady an Edwin Jagger super badger brush that she likes. I think a larger Vulfix super badger or a Saville Row would also fit the bill.

captp

Approx. 22x54mm knot
Simpson Special and Duke 3 flanking for comparison

$1447892285239838065483.jpg

captp

Just did am good cleaning last night (Dawn dish detergent). I want to let it completely dry before I pack it up for shipping. I'm going to miss that brush

captp

[MENTION=79948]calhoun1[/MENTION] sorry form the delay. Finally got off my lazy Irish butt and wrapped and packed the brush along with some extras from the Active Duty PIF Stash for you to share with your wife. Pics, as always, are appreciated.
It will be in the mail tomorrow afternoon

[MENTION=8775]captp[/MENTION] Thank you Georg. There is no hurry. I really appreciate it. I will let you know when I get it, and take pictures when I can.

Well I am finally back at home with a chance to post. Georg, thank you. You are super generous. My wife should love this brush. Just need to get her her own salsa bowl from the dollar store and she will be on her way. I also have never tried speick or arko so it will give us a chance to try those!

proxy.php

captp

You are a much better photographer than I, Jeremy. FYI, the loose Personnas are Med Preps. Enjoy, both of you. I miss that brush:001_rolle

Top Bottom