What's new

Brush AD

Hey everyone,
early today i won a set of old brushes....
My thinking is that this should cover my brush needs, for a long while...
Any idea of the type of brushes they are,or type of hair....etc
thanks for the feedback.....RP
ps, I got a great deal on them:tongue:

picture.php

My untrained eye says left to right, a handful of Ever-Ready's, a Surrey (VDH) and an unknown. Untrained being the key word. :redface:

The aluminum long handle looks like a Dubl Duck. Dubl Duck didn't make their own brushes, but sourced them. It could be an Ever Ready. The other long handles look like Ever Readys. The ivory one in the middle with the black stripe looks like a Strongset. The shorter ivory and black could be a Made-Rite. I concur that the tan one is probably a Surrey. I've seen the green and white one before, but the name escapes me (brain cells are decaying rapidly as I get older). Maybe Opal, Century or Klenzo. I will get back to you if I remember.

They all look like boar bristles to me.

- Peter

Last edited:
+1 Yes, they all look like boar to me as well. Some of those may be real good at creating lather!
cool Im glad you said that, i figure 1-2 or them would be:biggrin::biggrin:
So I have to ask this foolish question, do you guys think they are worth having...
I have never purchased old brushes......
I got the for a song a piece....a 4 dollar song....did I get a decent deal??
My thinkin i that I will use them, the ones I already have,or a few of these will be PIF.......so what do you guys think on the deal...or no deal.......RP

The green and white one looks almost new. The Dubl Duck looks like it has a lot of life left. The Surrey is an entry level brush that looks in decent shape. You might get some use out of the first long handle Ever Ready. The others are past their time.

The Made-Rite would be a great candidate for a restore. The Strongset also depending on the condition of the handle. I'm not a fan of long handle brushes but the handles on the Ever Readys look to be in very good shape.

If you're not into restoring brushes and you paid $4. each, I don't think it was a bargain overall. You did get your money's worth in handles and a couple of useable brushes. If you paid $4. for the lot, it was a steal. I think the green one and the Dubl Duck would be fun to try.

- Peter

they look like a great batch of future restores. If you decide to clean one up and put a new knot in it, could be a great brush for yourself even.

The green and white one looks almost new. The Dubl Duck looks like it has a lot of life left. The Surrey is an entry level brush that looks in decent shape. You might get some use out of the first long handle Ever Ready. The others are past their time.

The Made-Rite would be a great candidate for a restore. The Strongset also depending on the condition of the handle. I'm not a fan of long handle brushes but the handles on the Ever Readys look to be in very good shape.

If you're not into restoring brushes and you paid $4. each, I don't think it was a bargain overall. You did get your money's worth in handles and a couple of useable brushes. If you paid $4. for the lot, it was a steal. I think the green one and the Dubl Duck would be fun to try.

- Peter

Thanks for the help and advice....
Im not into brush restoring, but if this will make these be good for me, then I will get into it....(got links??)
I figure, the ones I don't use I will PIF, the VDH brush is all I have as of now,I own 2 of them.
So I will make PIF's out of the un used ones.....
so @4 buck each I got a sour deal ??...........dang-it.....RP

The tan Surrey brush is the same as your VDH brushes. The last Dubl Duck brush I saw sold for $10. on fleabay. Your green brush would be equivalent to a new $10. boar brush. The Made-Rite is a popular handle for restoring and would fetch about $4. or $5.

You didn't get taken. You didn't take the seller either.:tongue:

- Peter

The price you paid isn't bad; I've done the same if I needed one. The real key is whether you find use for them; if you do, then it's pure gravy!

The price you paid isn't bad; I've done the same if I needed one. The real key is whether you find use for them; if you do, then it's pure gravy!
yep I have a use, the ones I keep to use are a plus....
simply because a VDH brush cost 8-9 dollars local, so if these are useable then I literally SCORED....:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Good score, the alloy handled one and the two on the end look very serviceable as they are, and for my dollar boar has good bang for the buck, I think you got a bargain!

Stephen.

Good score is right.

Thank God my BAD is in remission for the moment. I absolutely love the two brushs involved in my first restores.

Wow! That one towards the middle has a loft so long it curls!! Nice bunch! John
thanks for the reply....
I at first thought I had wasted my money by purchasing the lot of brushes.
They arrive yeserday, all in great shape.
Heck I'm happy, I couldn't but good brushes locally, for less that 7-8 dollars each (VDH boar brush)..
So this lot at 4-6 dollars each, was a good deal to me.
The lot was sold to me from 2 retired oldschool barbers that had retired.
I think there are a few diamonds in the ruff in the lot, Im happy with them.
Im gonna sanitize them, and shampoo them.
Then use them one at a time.
The long loft brushes,
What are the pros and cons of brushes like this??.........thanks for the reply's.....Russell

Hey everyone,
early today i won a set of old brushes....
My thinking is that this should cover my brush needs, for a long while...
Any idea of the type of brushes they are,or type of hair....etc
thanks for the feedback.....RP
ps, I got a great deal on them:tongue:

picture.php

If you get them all wet a took a big wiff you might get whiplash.I like your score.What you should do is reknot the three tall, ringed brushes.They look to be the same diameter.Do one in each grade of hair so on days you need to scrub up theres a brush for that.On a another day you can paint your lather on theres a brush for that.Then the inbetween day when you only want to work it a little theres a brush for that.The best part is that whatever brush you reach for the handle will be familiar.

Top Bottom