What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Two orders from recent Yaqi "fan event" sales arrived. They all came in Yaqi's new shipping tube, each with a microfiber cloth around the handle. Two brushes have their new coin.

Yaqi brushes from L to R are as follows: Bali 24mm Silvertip Badger, Mojito 24mm Two Band Badger, Ever-Helpful 22mm Two Band Badger, Goblin 24mm "Husky Knot" Synthetic, Janus Bifrons 24mm Cashmere Synthetic, Cavern Lake 24mm Tuxedo Synthetic, Bali 24mm Silvertip Synthetic
IMG_20210701_154858215.jpg

IMG_20210701_154505161.jpg

IMG_20210701_155013416.jpg

Hopefully this cures my case of SBAD.

Paladin 28mm 2CLNF7 Samurai in Honey Noir.

According to the website phots loaded this is the second Honey Noir Samurai and the first 28mm.

It looks better than my photography skills (or lack there of) show.

On deck for tomorrow’s shave.

0B55469E-ADF0-4535-8DA7-B0D1C1BA14DA.jpeg
72EABBC4-D1CF-4F7A-AB2F-0C6CFEEBC76C.jpeg
4586C193-8A69-4999-BDD1-C7DA7DDEF158.jpeg
1C03077B-9868-489B-AC10-21B2D09F3E40.jpeg
C305662E-8911-4164-B7D8-3969CC78B66E.jpeg

Latest boar brush arrived last week, decided to try something other than the usual Omega, Semogue, Zenith, Mondial options so went with a Vulfix No 28. Supposedly a 23mm by 55mm knot but it feels smaller.

20210704_231329.jpg

(Comparison shot with my Omega Pro 49 for size reference)

20210704_231341.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, I got to open my birthday presents.

Handle and knot size/loft feel perfect after first use. Handle is very comfortable, similar to my Semogue SOC - Goldilocks. I was worried about too much backbone and scritch. Definitely not too much backbone, but just a little scritch. I understand the scritch mostly goes away after time, but it's not really bothersome new. It actually felt really nice on my face after 5 days of itchy growth.

Disclaimer - this is my first decent badger. I've been wet shaving for 4 years but have always cynically shunned the badger rabbit hole. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the Zenith after only one shave, with a superlather of Haslinger/La Toja cream/menthol crystals. The brush felt great on the puck, in the bowl, and on the face. Amazing, effortless lather. After first lather, knot has turned from bud to flower.

Zenith packaging is A+. It also came with a sample of Shannon Soaps from The Gentle Shave. A really nice customer service touch. I've always wanted to try SS.

My family also got me a ATT Horween leather razor pouch and Herschel dopp bag. Really impressed with the quality of both.

IMG_20210707_222406813.jpg

IMG_20210707_221250357.jpg

IMG_20210707_222146708.jpg

Handle and knot size/loft feel perfect after first use. Handle is very comfortable, similar to my Semogue SOC - Goldilocks. I was worried about too much backbone and scritch. Definitely not too much backbone, but just a little scritch. I understand the scritch mostly goes away after time, but it's not really bothersome new. It actually felt really nice on my face after 5 days of itchy growth.

Disclaimer - this is my first decent badger. I've been wet shaving for 4 years but have always cynically shunned the badger rabbit hole. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the Zenith after only one shave, with a superlather of Haslinger/La Toja cream/menthol crystals. The brush felt great on the puck, in the bowl, and on the face. Amazing, effortless lather. After first lather, knot has turned from bud to flower.

Zenith packaging is A+. It also came with a sample of Shannon Soaps from The Gentle Shave. A really nice customer service touch. I've always wanted to try SS.

My family also got me a ATT Horween leather razor pouch and Herschel dopp bag. Really impressed with the quality of both.

View attachment 1293549

View attachment 1293551

View attachment 1293550
A real Beauty! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1293549

View attachment 1293551

View attachment 1293550

The brush looks great! I Just ordered that same brush today, except for in the ivory color.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thibaud Gibbs 210 Nylon bristle brush to go with my recently acquired Gibbs adjustable.
Never used nylon before, so tomorrows shave will be interesting.

View attachment 1297180

I used this Gibbs for todays shave, and I surprised myself with how much I like this nylon brush.
It is scrubby without being stiff or irritating, and overall was very nice.
It lathered amazingly well with virtually no soaking time, just wet and go.
I'm going to have to rethink my position on synthetics.

Top Bottom