What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

I’ve been looking for a new brush for a while. My current favorite brush is my Omega Boar/Badger travel brush. I love the short loft and small knot, but hate the tiny handle.

I’ve been trying to find a brush with similar specs, but a bigger handle, at a reasonable price, under $35.

I found this Simpson S1 Best Badger on Amazon and went for it. The knot is the same as the Omega, with a similar loft. The handle is about twice as big, which is perfect!

I used it today for the first time and WOW! Awesome lather and felt great. Looks like I found my new favorite brush.
proxy.php

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
RazoRock Chubby Extra Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush - Black Handle 505

Attachments

• RazoRock-Chubby-Extra-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Black-Handle-505-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    RazoRock-Chubby-Extra-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Black-Handle-505-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 18
  • RazoRock-Chubby-Extra-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Black-Handle-505_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    RazoRock-Chubby-Extra-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Black-Handle-505_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks. Yes they are similar, but not exactly the same. The RazoRock is the silvertip version and the Zentith 505AK is a Manchurian. Zenith sells both at the same price. The way I understand it, silvertip has a softer face feel, but less backbone than Manchurian.
Ahhh. I missed the Silvertip part. I have the Manchurian but tend to prefer Silvertip. I may have to look into that Razorock!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Thanks. Yes they are similar, but not exactly the same. The RazoRock is the silvertip version and the Zentith 505AK is a Manchurian. Zenith sells both at the same price. The way I understand it, silvertip has a softer face feel, but less backbone than Manchurian.
I have the Zenith versions in both silvertip and in Manchurian. Outstanding brushes. Rare to get a non-Simpsons 3 band that isn't at least a little floppy, but Zenith pulls it off. A dense, very soft knot, the Zenith silvertip.

IMG_20210322_140120.jpg

Received a spare Omega S10065. I can only get synthetic Omegas from the UK at cheap prices. Seeing how the EU customs laws will change from the 1st of July I might order one more before they start adding VAT to everything that comes from outside the EU without exceptions (currently everything below 15 EUR is excluded) . Here is a paradox: they do it to support local sellers, but no seller in my country sells synthetic Omegas.

View attachment 1240160

Received a spare Omega S10065. I can only get synthetic Omegas from the UK at cheap prices. Seeing how the EU customs laws will change from the 1st of July I might order one more before they start adding VAT to everything that comes from outside the EU without exceptions (currently everything below 15 EUR is excluded) . Here is a paradox: they do it to support local sellers, but no seller in my country sells synthetic Omegas.
Wait till they start checking your couch cushions.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi Moka Express synthetic, eye candy, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub, easy to grip, great lather painter, first use of this pleasant to use knot & brush, it has softer back bone than other yaqi knots IMO but gives a nice gentle scrub IMO.
Yaqi moka express purchase 24mm synthetic.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Found two Van Der Hagen Badger Brushes at Ross for $4.99 each. It is worth a shot for the price and I didn't own a badger brush before.
View attachment 1240953
There are some good you tube videos on how to break in a badger brush and how to get rid of the funk natural animal smell that some times come with natural hair brushes. Looks like a nice little brush!

There are some good you tube videos on how to break in a badger brush and how to get rid of the funk natural animal smell that some times come with natural hair brushes. Looks like a nice little brush!
Thank you, I will look into it. I do not mind boar brush smell. I will see if badger is any better or worse in that category.

Top Bottom