What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

@Leverspro - you got me thinking a bit about the misturas. I don't normally soak tips before lathering. Tried it with the Mayd-well today; it greatly reduced the pokiness I was feeling. I will be reaching for my misturas more often!

Why is everyone saying "mixture" in Portuguese?

Is it because (Portuguese) Semogue make very good badger/boar mixtures?

Had a wee chat with the postman today [emoji4]
Later in the evening...

Before:

proxy.php

After:

proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have used it once. I also have the same knot in a barber style handle I turned over a year ago and have used several times. I regularly use an Omega 11047 'mixed midget' as a travel brush, so I have that as a mistura comparison knot.

Bottom line - All three mistura knots do a great job generating and releasing lather. The Shave Forge knot is very similar in feel to the Omega. I am not a big fan of mistura, though. It feels a little pokey to me, surprising since I am a scrubby boar guy who uses badgers just for an occasional change of pace. These are not top end mistura knots, and may use lower grades of badger hair than I have in my badger brushes.

The knot in the MAYD-WELL has shed more than the first Shave Forge mistura I set, but I think that the shedding is due to having to wrestle the glue bump into the metal ferrule.
View attachment 1209223
Very cool stuff. Thanks for relating your thoughts.

Finally have my new brush. It's a custom Rudy Vey (hourglass shape with a tulip top) with a Turn N Shave Shoat (boar) knot. Did the three-day cold/room-temp water treatment for boar hair. Glued it in. Can't wait to try it.

Colors are way off and washed out in the photo, unfortunately. I call this my Jewel handle--wanted a ruby/emerald combo and Rudy Vey nailed it. Shoat/Boar knot feels great on the hand and broken in (softer when dry than my Zenith boar I've had since Feb 2020).

brush.jpeg

Here's my much earlier post if it helps:

Last edited:
Top Bottom