What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

09EA60EB-DA2A-4BBA-98FE-67482B0ADADA.jpeg

Mojo with a Declaration Grooming B8 knot. I got some more brushes arriving this week. I kinf of went a little overboard with brush purchases recently 😂.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hmmm. That looks like the Maggard SHD brushes... Are you sure they are Mixed knots? They tend to look more mixed but yours looks a bit too clean.

1590932703889.png

I can definitely see a few split ends in this ^ photo. To me that means boar bristles are splitting.

My assumption is this ^ photo is following at least one shave or wash of the knot because of the developing bloom.

70:30-Knot.In-ThaterHandle.26mm.640.4-28.20.New.JPG70:30.Thater.Damp.640.4-29-20.1stShave.JPG5-29-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640.JPG

My 70/30 looks to me like a two band unless I look for bristles and split ends. You might be able to see some progression by enlarging these thumbnails. The first on the far left is the newly installed and never wet knot. In the middle, after one shave and a bit damp. On the right, before a recent shave, and thus after at least ten or fifteen shaves.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was hoping that brush was available a little longer. But alas when I got paid it was gone. It looks nice in the close up shots. Let me know your thoughts on it after you use it for a while. There are still a couple other handles they have that look nice.
Thanks, will do. I knew I had to have it once I saw it. I’m a sucker for burl and briar type wood grains. Plus, I’ve been using the same Parker badger brush that I started with for over ten years. I’ve acquired lots of creams, soaps, aftershaves, razors etc. since then but only one brush for whatever reason.

Be aware that badger does split too... eventually... but I think it takes much longer, and it usually also tapers a ton towards the end (boar doesn't taper off nearly to the extent of badger).

Easiest way to differentiate them (beside feel) is do a side by side comparison... My SHD two band is JET black in the band... this is a much duller black (because of the lighter boar hairs mixed in).

Also, these mixed knots always seem to have a few more stray long hairs than the pure badger ones do.

The boar is much finer and softer than in my mixed knots from last year... not sure if I prefer it yet, but it does definitely make the ideal loft lower.

Last edited:
Ok so I shaved early to try my 45mm loft... and this is the sweet spot for me, for sure. Amazing the difference that mm of loft made. Went from very soft to nice and scrubby.

I got crazy lucky hitting 51mm loft on my APShave mixed fan... had just the right scrub and backbone. With these knots the loft that matches that perfectly is 45mm.

Size is great for me, but if you like a larger brush, 26mm with this mix wouldn't be too huge, since they can be set so low without getting overly scrubby.

Just based on the first shave, this matches my APSHave @ 51mm loft perfectly... other than the size (obviously the 51mm loft knot splays bigger)... they're indistinguishable in feel and performance. Since I like a smaller brush, I think these are better for me, but the APshave's punch way above the 24mm diameter size as they're stiff and scrubby enough to take that 50mm+ loft and still give that scrub.

Really can't get over how much I like these mixed fans... do yourself a favor and give the ApLuxury mixed fan from ApShaveCo a try if you like a little scrub to your brush.

Left: ApShaveCo 24mm mixed @ 51mm loft (nice and scrubby)
Middle: Oumo 24mm mixed @ 46mm loft (Soft with just a hint of scrub)
Right: Oumo 24mm mixed @ 45mm loft (nice and scrubby)

Attachments

• IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I started kicking around the idea of trying a boar brush again and read through threads, I saw almost universal praise for the Jade Omega. However, said praise seemed to come from guys who frequently use boar brushes. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who doesn't get along with boar. I'm really hoping I like it. I have minimal experience with boar brushes, and my time with the Semouge 620 was so mediocre, not bad, just blehhhh, that it has taken me years to even want to try pure boar again.

I use a lot of different brushes - all types. Boar probably 20% - 25% of the time. Most of those uses are the Omega Jade.

Once the Omega Jade gets broken in, and it breaks in quicker than my other boars have, it is a great brush - the knot type notwithstanding. It softened up nicely and holds it's own with the badgers in my den.

It will feel different, but that's nice for a contrast.

The Jade does both bowl lathering and face lathering really well. Loads any soap I've thrown at it with ease.

YMMV but I believe you will like it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use a lot of different brushes - all types. Boar probably 20% - 25% of the time. Most of those uses are the Omega Jade.

Once the Omega Jade gets broken in, and it breaks in quicker than my other boars have, it is a great brush - the knot type notwithstanding. It softened up nicely and holds it's own with the badgers in my den.

It will feel different, but that's nice for a contrast.

The Jade does both bowl lathering and face lathering really well. Loads any soap I've thrown at it with ease.

YMMV but I believe you will like it.

My Jade didn't break in all that rapidly, but it was still a very good brush from the beginning. Now it's a great brush in my opinion.

I agree. I think you'll like it a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I forget what store carries them, but for at least 10 yrs B&B was doing a drop annually with the same knot in a different color handle. I'm sure someone else can pitch in on if that's still the case and when the next one is due.

I've been wanting to try boar for a while. I ordered a Mondial a couple months ago but due to delays with international shipping, it hasn't arrived yet. So the work-around I came up with was to get other boars. I received today 3 B & B Essential boars, an Omega 10108 & 10049.
View attachment 1107909
I’ll be curious to hear your impressions of the mondial. I have personally fallen into a hole with the zenith boars. As I understand it, the mondials are just as nice if not quite a bit nicer.

Something about boar brushes just keeps me interested and excited. I hope you enjoy them all with the same or greater enthusiasm I do.

nice scoring @dmshaver !
Does anyone know if there are any B&B brushes like these left? Or if anyone has an excess that he is willing to part?
I've not seen any of these B & B Essential Boars anywhere. I found mine NOS online. There are still the B & B 10th Anniversary boar brushes available. I know WCS still has them listed as available. It's my understanding that the 10th Anniversary is different knot than the Essential boar brush.

I’ll be curious to hear your impressions of the mondial. I have personally fallen into a hole with the zenith boars. As I understand it, the mondials are just as nice if not quite a bit nicer.

Something about boar brushes just keeps me interested and excited. I hope you enjoy them all with the same or greater enthusiasm I do.
Thank you sir. I will certainly post my impressions after I use them. There's always a new rabbit hole waiting to fall jump into.

Last edited:
Hmm, Yeah a few searches seem to indicate that ~2018 the 10th anniversary (with a different knot) was released as well as the "last" Essential iteration.

Could always ask if they'll ever consider another run. Maybe contribute and ask for a Contributors Special run in the contributors forum?

Or put a WTB on BST if you don't mind second hand. A lot of guys have multiples and may take pity on you.

Top Bottom