What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine is the two band finest. I believe it's either a bulb or hybrid. If I like it I plan on ordering a couple of others (different ones) that they sell. Thanks for the info.

It's a trial run for both of us. I'd like to know more about the smaller knot sized brushes, too.

Grabbed a few Razor Rocks. The 400 aluminum handle may be my new favorite brush!
proxy.php

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

LOTH and I were shopping at an antique mall Today, and she spotted these. The one on the right is a well-worn boar, but it's the one on the left that intrigues me. The tag said it was a badger, and it felt like one, but there were no markings of any kind on the brush itself. The knot measures 23mm and the handle is bakelite. Has anybody here seen anything like this?

20180217_160833_Burst01a.jpg

We also found a rather beat silver-plated scuttle with a matching brush. I'm afraid to touch that puppy for fear of damaging the plating.

20180217_181112a.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very nice. I like the handles. Both of them. New knots maybe?

The scuttle has a little lip holding the brush, right? I like it, too. Could be replated?

Nice finds and thanks for sharing your good fortune.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very nice. I like the handles. Both of them. New knots maybe?

The badger knot is in great shape, almost looks new - no new knot needed there. The boar looks a little rougher, but no hole in the middle or broken outside bristles, so I'll probably leave that one alone too.

The scuttle has a little lip holding the brush, right? I like it, too. Could be replated?

There's a couple of protrusions, one of which is visible just left of the brush, which would hold it in place.

Could be replated?

Possibly, but it would probably be more expensive than it's worth.

The badger looks like some of the old Kent models.

That's a thought. I'm not familiar with the older Kent brushes.

What I find interesting (aside from the visual appeal of the brush is the absence of any markings. I would normally expect a commercially made brush to have a logo someplace. If it was made by a hobbyist, I wouldn't expect bakelite composition. Wood is much more common.

Picked up these 3 vintage brushes Saturday, while antiquing with the wife - an Ever-Ready 100T, a Klenzo B843, and a beautiful red (feels like Bakelite) Ever-Ready 102. I cleaned them up with Jar's borax and dish soap spa treatment.
I've never seen a 102 out in the wild. It is solid and heavy - can't wait to use it!
IMG_20180218_154938.jpg

IMG_20180218_155059.jpg IMG_20180218_155116.jpg IMG_20180218_155303.jpg

Last edited:
So these beauties arrived Friday, Elite Razor turned handles (I sent the blanks) with B4 Declaration Grooming 24mm knots. If you want the best, get a knot from Scott - the density is unsurpassed. I finally pulled the trigger on a B3 knot a few months ago and DG knots is all I want to use now

1st shave was Sat morning, B4 holy cow! Soft, soft, soft!

0223181456.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Georg, How does the Tut feel in hand? I love the handle shape but I'm not sure what the best method would be to hold it. Would it be fingers near the base as apposed to palming it?
I'd have to say it's much like any of the Persian Jar style handles. Two fingers and thumb right at the base. It feels very nice in hand. I never palm a brush. I need to retire a couple of brushes to make room for the Tut and Falstaff; right now they're both stashed away.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'd have to say it's much like any of the Persian Jar style handles. Two fingers and thumb right at the base. It feels very nice in hand. I never palm a brush. I need to retire a couple of brushes to make room for the Tut and Falstaff; right now they're both stashed away.
Thanks, yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm sure you'll find a way to get those babies out and about. I have a couple from Steve that have big bottoms on thethem that I can palm but I have to watch the pressure on my face!

I have had the RR400 Plissoft Noir for awhile now and it's become my favorite brush. The knot is just the right combination of soft and scrubby, and the handle feels great.

I think I may agree with you. I used it today in fact. I think the handle is just about perfect. I suppose if I came across a vintage Rubberset 400 in god condition I would have a hard time passing it up.

Top Bottom