What's new

BRUSH ABUSE

I have a confession to make. Until I joined B & B, I have had no real respect for my brushes. I have always used a brush since I began shaving in the Sixties, but I don't even remember buying one; they were all presents I think. The change came when I swapped soap for cream.

I think lavishing care on a shaving brush or brushes is a fairly modern thing. From what I know from veteran DE users, and have seen of vintage brushes, general abuse/neglect of these functional items was pretty widespread, so the OP has actually been sticking with tradition.

I still abuse my synthetics and boars. In my mind their bristles are stronger and can handle it. Whether that's true or not only time will tell.

I think lavishing care on a shaving brush or brushes is a fairly modern thing. From what I know from veteran DE users, and have seen of vintage brushes, general abuse/neglect of these functional items was pretty widespread, so the OP has actually been sticking with tradition.
Well, that's a relief.

I still abuse my synthetics and boars. In my mind their bristles are stronger and can handle it. Whether that's true or not only time will tell.
That is disgraceful. It is comparable to the man who abused his clay pipes hideously, yet lavished attention on his briars.

As per Cumberland, looking at most vintage shaving brush photos you can tell no thought of care was taken on the user’s part. Thank god for those few that did, and even more so for the collectors, NOS that never sold, and those back up brushes that never got used.

The more brushes I acquire the more care I put into them. Generally speaking since I switched to de shaving I probably put 100% more care into everything. I’m the dude that now buffs down all the chrome in the bathroom after every shave.

Go to your local paint store or paint dept. at a big box or hardware and get a brush comb. Apply often. Pick at tangles with the brush and comb on the same plane at first to start to detangle:

....use detangler now and then. Clean and conditon regularly. Paint, don’t swirl. Do not fold spindle or mutilate. Set atop the gentle heat of an amp or frig to assist drying. No right on Red. In the event of a fire, use stairs. Do not open until Christmas. If all else fails, read the instructions. Returns not accepted.

As per Cumberland, looking at most vintage shaving brush photos you can tell no thought of care was taken on the user’s part. Thank god for those few that did, and even more so for the collectors, NOS that never sold, and those back up brushes that never got used.
Quite so. The thing is that if you put then in hot water, the bristles fall out. If you don't rinse them properly, the bristles fall out. If you live in a hard water area and use a soap puck, the bristles fall out. If you are retired or a man of leisure, you will have more time and will be able to look after them better. Forty years ago there were loads of manufacturers and they were not an expensive product.

The more brushes I acquire the more care I put into them. Generally speaking since I switched to de shaving I probably put 100% more care into everything. I’m the dude that now buffs down all the chrome in the bathroom after every shave.
There is nothing wrong with that! I would rather be in a position to pay someone to clean my bathroom, but if I am not then I will do it myself.

Go to your local paint store or paint dept. at a big box or hardware and get a brush comb. Apply often. Pick at tangles with the brush and comb on the same plane at first to start to detangle:

....use detangler now and then. Clean and conditon regularly. Paint, don’t swirl. Do not fold spindle or mutilate. Set atop the gentle heat of an amp or frig to assist drying. No right on Red. In the event of a fire, use stairs. Do not open until Christmas. If all else fails, read the instructions. Returns not accepted.
When I attended my first little school, the lady who taught us art used a memorable saying: "Stroke the pussycat, don't scrub the floor". This advice has proved invaluable, though why my parents guffawed I have never been able to understand.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a confession to make. Until I joined B & B, I have had no real respect for my brushes. I have always used a brush since I began shaving in the Sixties, but I don't even remember buying one; they were all presents I think. The change came when I swapped soap for cream.

What changes have occurred in your behavior towards brushes?

Happy shaves,

Jim

What changes have occurred in your behavior towards brushes?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim, They get looked after properly. They get rotated religiously, rinsed properly, kept away from hot water and are never asked to cope with soap pucks. I have one problem though; I cannot decide when the very old ones should be jettisoned.

Fuzzy

Top Bottom