What's new

Browning Fun Fact

It is no secret Browning is my favorite and go-to firearms manufacturer and the P35 Hi-Power is in my (and others') opinion the best handgun ever designed. So often I hear how this venerable pistol is outlived its prime. This article (actually part of it) may change some of y'alls perspective.....

"Handgun Excellence
Most of us red-blooded American gunmen would view the classic 1911 as John Browning’s masterwork. Designed specifically to kill the radical Muslim terrorists of the day, the 1911 fired a bullet that weighed fully twice what the European-standard 115-grain 9mm did. For all of its justifiable merits, however, the 1911 has a few shortcomings.

The single-stack 7-round magazine was designed to improve upon the contemporary 6-shot revolver. Additionally, the swinging-link barrel locking mechanism could be simpler. FN needed a pistol to answer a French call for a new service sidearm. As Colt held the patents on his 1911, Browning had to design this new gun from scratch. The result was the most capable combat handgun in the world.

Browning died before he could complete the P35 Grande Puissance or Hi-Power. A Belgian colleague at FN named Dieudonne Saive finished the project. The Hi-Power action went on to drive most of the world’s combat handguns. Interestingly, the French ultimately rejected the Browning design."

THIS IS THE FUN FACT SEGMENT......

"The Hi-Power sports a pivoting single action trigger utterly unlike that of the 1911 though offering a comparably crisp character. The magazine holds 13 rounds was designed by Saive and paved the way for today’s high-capacity autoloading handguns. In place of the swinging link on the 1911 the Hi-Power employs a remarkably effective cam-locking system. If you have never seen one just crack open your favorite Glock, Smith and Wesson, HK, or Ruger pistol. They all run on Browning’s Hi-Power action."

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an Inglis (Chinese Browning) that was grooved for a stock; no stock though. Value was nil because the previous owner had it refinished in a matte-nickle. Not smart. Still wish I had kept it...great shooter

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Did some researching last night on the High Power. Browning has some newer models which are pretty pricey. I have seen FN Browning and then just FN? Are those one and the same still or separate? I was checking out browning's website last night and they had a discontinued model called the "Hi Power Practical."

I would love to have that particular model. Can they still be found? I also read there are a few companies who make reproduction Hi Powers which have good and mixed reviews. Argentine makes a pretty good copycat from what I read.

I read the High Power has a magazine disconnect? People say the disconnect gives it a pretty terrible trigger, but the disconnect can be disconnected?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
High-Powers are crap...Glocks have them beat all to heck...just ask Okie...or Serpico.

Serpico - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

proxy.php

Did some researching last night on the High Power. Browning has some newer models which are pretty pricey. I have seen FN Browning and then just FN? Are those one and the same still or separate? I was checking out browning's website last night and they had a discontinued model called the "Hi Power Practical."

I would love to have that particular model. Can they still be found? I also read there are a few companies who make reproduction Hi Powers which have good and mixed reviews. Argentine makes a pretty good copycat from what I read.

I read the High Power has a magazine disconnect? People say the disconnect gives it a pretty terrible trigger, but the disconnect can be disconnected?

Yep, the magazine disconnect can be simply removed and it does away with a gritty feel to the trigger. Cylinder and Slide has some CNC machined aftermarket sears and hammers, along with a wide trigger that eliminates the disconnect also, that combined gives a very good feel. I did all that to my early 80's vintage Hi Power, along with a BarSto match barrel and it's now super accurate, not that it was bad to start with. If you like a 1911 format pistol in a high capacity 9mm the Browning is the way to go. The only difference in it and the 1911 in stock form is the caliber, magazine capacity, trigger disconnect, and the Hi Power does not have a grip safety. I think it points a little better also, but that's just my feeling. Some 30 years or so ago someone was making cut down versions, with good triggers and barrels, mostly for the US Secret Service, but would sell to individuals if you could afford one. I lusted after one but with a young son could not justify the price, which if I remember correctly would still be pricy.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Oh...I saw where Nighthawk has come out with a customized Hi-Power...Talk about pricey.

Should be excellent quality though: the people that founded Nighthawk used to work for Bill Wilson.

Browning Hi Power

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yep, the magazine disconnect can be simply removed and it does away with a gritty feel to the trigger. Cylinder and Slide has some CNC machined aftermarket sears and hammers, along with a wide trigger that eliminates the disconnect also, that combined gives a very good feel. I did all that to my early 80's vintage Hi Power, along with a BarSto match barrel and it's now super accurate, not that it was bad to start with. If you like a 1911 format pistol in a high capacity 9mm the Browning is the way to go. The only difference in it and the 1911 in stock form is the caliber, magazine capacity, trigger disconnect, and the Hi Power does not have a grip safety. I think it points a little better also, but that's just my feeling. Some 30 years or so ago someone was making cut down versions, with good triggers and barrels, mostly for the US Secret Service, but would sell to individuals if you could afford one. I lusted after one but with a young son could not justify the price, which if I remember correctly would still be pricy.

This one is calling out to me. :)

hi power.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Browning Hi Power is a very nice handgun. I really cant think of anything bad to say about them and most that I've seen and handled have been of the same quality as anything else made by FN, fantastic. Its a shame though that as much as I do like the hand gun, much like the CZ series of pistols, I cant shoot one. They just dont fit me. I'd do better throwing the gun at something than trying to shoot it lol.

IMG_6317.jpg
FN-Browning....basically the same. Different rollmarks, different finishes.
Nighthawk-too spendy for me. Same for Robar. I pretty much like stock stuff but Nighthawk does make a safety catch lever I like

FullSizeRender.jpg

Browning...a pure reflection of precision and soul. A masterpiece which has withstood the test of times

IMG_0745.JPG

Glock...personality of a 2x4. Totally functional and a worthy weapon. Devoid, however of any sense of the aforementioned soul...for God's sake it's PLASTIC!!
But...are we not fortunate to have the ability to choose???

IMG_6323.JPG
@jkingrph
"...the magazine disconnect can be simply removed and it does away with a gritty feel to the trigger."
Yes and no. Sure it does improve the trigger, but the newer disconnects are plastic (sigh..), not metal. Hence it can be sketchy to remove. This one did not want to leave. Broke off in the trigger group. Had to take the whole thing out to retrieve the broken part stuck inside and the spring. Perhaps that is Browning's way of ensuring the owner bonds with the pistol?? No???

there are some on gunbroker.com

Top Bottom