What's new

Browning Fun Fact

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That wood stock on the AR "trips my trigger."

Lol'd, I thought it might. :)

The magazine disconnect does have something to answer for in the desire for trigger greatness, but it's livable on my particular pistol. It's still better than DAO triggers.

Otherwise, there are a few fogies out there for whom heavy is an admirable trait and it's the lightweight plastic that is seen as a major design flaw.

I might not mind the HP trigger. I shoot and like Glock's.

I was watching S00tch on you tube putting a commercial and a surplus HP thru it's paces. Is it just me, or does the cyclic rate of the slide seem slow?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
View attachment 809191 @jar_
Those appear to be tulipwood scales? They are simply beautiful!!
I have a fondness for tulipwood as it's the Tennessee State Tree.
DA/SA BDM pistols are a gold-plated SOB to work on. Complex is an understatement. Hope you never have the misfortune of having to take one apart.....
Yes, they are Tulip Wood. And no, I have been lucky enough to NOT have to work on the BDM.

An older model Hi Power made by FN like the one in a post above is as well made as any gun I've ever picked up. Classic FN workmanship, second to none.

Some, I've only seen one, had the tangent rear sight. More a novelty to me but interesting all the same.

View attachment 809371

View attachment 809370
Tangent sights look neat but add a bit of bulk. I think most of those guns were made to use a detachable buttstock so they could be used at longer range. I know they are "calibrated" to 500 meters/yards, but that's a stretch for the 9mm especially out of a short barrel. May be ok for area fire if you had a squad or two firing them at the same time toward a distant target.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Tangent sights look neat but add a bit of bulk. I think most of those guns were made to use a detachable buttstock so they could be used at longer range. I know they are "calibrated" to 500 meters/yards, but that's a stretch for the 9mm especially out of a short barrel. May be ok for area fire if you had a squad or two firing them at the same time toward a distant target.

Past 100 is stretching it for the 9mm but it did ok to that range for me, provided the over head baffles on the range were high enough lol. The baffles at my club stopped the .45acp 1911 from reaching 200 yards. I couldnt get enough elevation lol. The heavy bullet does handle the wind surprisingly well though.

Some good info on the Hi Power here: The Browning High Power - The Original and Classic Pistol - GunsAmerica Digest

Past 100 is stretching it for the 9mm but it did ok to that range for me, provided the over head baffles on the range were high enough lol. The baffles at my club stopped the .45acp 1911 from reaching 200 yards. I couldnt get enough elevation lol. The heavy bullet does handle the wind surprisingly well though.

Some good info on the Hi Power here: The Browning High Power - The Original and Classic Pistol - GunsAmerica Digest
Back in the mid 60's when in college, dad got me a membership in a rather primitive private range, the only thing in the area at the time. We had a college professor who was big into bullseye competition with a 1911. I have seen him hit a 2 foot square at 250 yards offhand with his Clark accurized Colt. We were lucky as Mr Clark was only about 90 miles from us so not too much of a problem to have one worked over there. I was not big into pistol shooting, as the only handgun in the family was a K 22 that dad had, although it could hold my own with it. I preferred a rifle, and played with my Win 70 featherweight 30-06 those years, learning to reload, cast bullets and shoot it very well.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have seen him hit a 2 foot square at 250 yards offhand with his Clark accurized Colt.

I dont doubt that for a second. I use to regularly shoot my .44 mag S&W at 200 or so against clay pigeons with quite a lot of success with practice.

The .45ACP would pepper the ground within a one foot radius of the same pigeons but at their velocity and the elevation needed, thats a small target for that round.

I had an IPSC shooter at our club one day laugh at me when I suggested shooting at the balloons hanging at 100 yards for the clubs Open House with his IPSC gun. He said I was nuts and the bullets wouldnt even go that far! His opinion changed when I broke 6 of 8 with his own gun.

Maybe thats why they used a tangent sight on the Hi Power? lol

don't be too worried about that guy with a lot of guns; me, I'd be watching that guy with the one well worn gun over there who knows how to use it...

I dont doubt that for a second. I use to regularly shoot my .44 mag S&W at 200 or so against clay pigeons with quite a lot of success with practice.

The .45ACP would pepper the ground within a one foot radius of the same pigeons but at their velocity and the elevation needed, thats a small target for that round.

I had an IPSC shooter at our club one day laugh at me when I suggested shooting at the balloons hanging at 100 yards for the clubs Open House with his IPSC gun. He said I was nuts and the bullets wouldnt even go that far! His opinion changed when I broke 6 of 8 with his own gun.

Maybe thats why they used a tangent sight on the Hi Power? lol

I just remember that it looked as though the gun was pointing way over the berm when he shot like that. Back in those days my friends and I were feeling good when we could hit a coke can at that range with our scoped rifles.

As far as the 9mm out of the pistol, I wonder what kind of velocity and energy it would be remaining.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just remember that it looked as though the gun was pointing way over the berm when he shot like that. Back in those days my friends and I were feeling good when we could hit a coke can at that range with our scoped rifles.

As far as the 9mm out of the pistol, I wonder what kind of velocity and energy it would be remaining.

Elmer Keith pioneered the graduated front sight on the .44 Mag and later the .41 Mag which is flatter shooting.

149404_ed003eac2d78af479d6e00b4aec427cb.jpg

I did much the same with my S&W and the sight below.

DSC07651.JPG

I had my rear sight set so that the very tip of the front sight was zero at 50 yards. Then I'd use the bottom of the red for 100 or so, half way between the bottom of the red and the bottom step of the sight for around 150 and the bottom of the step itself for 200.

I always used the same loads of a 240 grain hard cast lead SWC at 1450fps, and a 300 grain Hornady HP at 1230fps which shot considerably lower. Much easier holding the front sight up like that than trying to adjust your aim using the sights in a traditional manner, and the .44 Mag is a lot flatter shooting than the .45acp lol. Those 300 grain Hornady HP's really make bowling pins dance at 100 lol.

Not sure if it would be easier using a tangent sight. I never tried one.

I have no idea the remaining velocity at a range like that for a handgun load, but I did shoot over my Chrony at 200 yards with my .338 Lapua, .22-250 and a friends 25-06. I'd have to dig out my load data books to see if I even wrote it down, but I most likely did.

Back in my high school days I remember shooting at gallon jugs with dad's K 22 at an estimated ( paced off) 100 yards. I could get a couple of hits out of a cylinder, and close the rest of the time

The one Browning design I prefer is a 1911 in .45ACP. My favorite 1911 is a Lightweight Commander CCO, Commander slide on an Alloy Officer's frame for carry or home defense.

Just last night, with friends at the range, brought my Dan Wesson CCO 45ACP along with my Glock 19. The 19 is soft shooting. The CCO's single action trigger cannot be beat.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The one Browning design I prefer is a 1911 in .45ACP. My favorite 1911 is a Lightweight Commander CCO, Commander slide on an Alloy Officer's frame for carry or home defense.

Just last night, with friends at the range, brought my Dan Wesson CCO 45ACP along with my Glock 19. The 19 is soft shooting. The CCO's single action trigger cannot be beat.

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of that Dan Wesson would ya?

Dan Wesson CCO 1911 Lightweight Commander on an Officer's frame, .45ACP, Larry Davidson Grips and Novak Low Mount Night Sights. 27.5 oz, slim, easy to carry in my Milt Sparks Axiom OWB or Nexus IWB Holsters. Very accurate, reliable, excellent carry or home defense pistol. 230gr Gold Dot JHP ammo, 7 +1.

20170826_120141.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom